OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best shell for shooting clays with Browning A5 3 1/2  (Read 798 times)

Offline ugaDAWGS09

Best shell for shooting clays with Browning A5 3 1/2
« on: January 05, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »
My wife got me an A5 Browning 3 1/2 for Christmas.  She has really been enjoying shooting clays with me but I'm having trouble finding a shell that will cycle.  I've cleaned/lubed the gun really well and tried a couple different shells in it but not much luck so far.  I know the manual says it requires a 1 1/8 oz, but which dram, fps should I have the best luck with?  Thanks for all the help.

Offline chadly

Re: Best shell for shooting clays with Browning A5 3 1/2
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
I have an old A5 but they nothing like the new ones.  A quick google search show Browning did copy of Benelli inertia drive system.  I do also have a Benelli SBE2 which would be the gun Browning copied.  It is of the 8 12ga I have my favorite gun.  My brother and several of my friends also have the SBE2's.  We can all attest that if you do not shoulder the gun firm you will get non cycled rounds.  I've never had a gun at the range not cycle but in the field hunting upland and shoot before the gun is shouldered tight.  It needs the solid rest for inertia system to operate.  I had many troubles with this at first and contacted Benelli several times about it.  I even sent the gun in for inspection.  I was pissed when I was told I was not holding the gun right.  It does not really ever happen any more as I'm well seasoned with it.  I'm not sure if this is your issue but I thought I would throw it out there.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the gun and harvest many birds with it. 

Offline Mtd69

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
try winchester aa 1 1/8 oz heavy trap loads they always cycle in my autos

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
X2 on the heavy trap loads. I have the 3 1/2” as well and same issue. I sent mine back because it wouldn’t eject 3 1/2” shells and they replaced the bolt because of design flaw. Keep that in mind as well.

Offline ugaDAWGS09

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
Should I look for a certain FPS or dram shell?

Offline bchilde

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:41:53 AM »
You want to shoot the highest dram you can find. Some guns just don’t like low brass shells period.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
I shoot an old Browning Gold and it eats the AA Sporting Clays or the Nitro Sporting Clays like cookie monster on chocolate chippers  :funnyturkey: