turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The fate of a rooster 60 years ago

Started by chadly, January 04, 2019, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

My father gave me a box and a half of Winchester xx 4's about 15 years ago.  They are high brass and paper shells.  The other night I was looking at them and wondering if they would fire.  My father guessed they were from the late 1950's.  As the Iowa season is coming to an end I like to try something different.  Usually I pull a gun form the safe that has not seen the light of day in forever.  I kept looking at those bullets and I put one in my pocket.  Yesterday I went out for a walk with my trusty dog and behind the firing pin was that old Winchester.  The first rooster that jumped up I dumped him like all the others that had the misfortune of being in front of me this year.  As many birds as kill I'm always excited when one drops in front of me. Seeing my dog return with a rooster in his mouth is so exciting for us both.  I completely forgot that I had that old bullet in my gun and put the bird in my pack and started to walk on.  I had to back peddle to go look for the empty.  That old shell barked like yesterday's reload.  It might be stupid but that old bullet and rooster will be one the high lights of my pheasant hunts of the year.  That birds death was made 60 years prior to his birth.  I did a quick google search and it said the first plastic bullets were introduced in 1960 by Remington.  So I'm guessing my dad's assessment of the age is somewhat close.  I wore my gopro for the first time of the year on yesterdays hunt.  It amazes me how fast we react.  From sight to shot is about 1.5 seconds on a pointed bird. 

SinGin

Nice story and those paper shells reload real nice.

Deputy 14

Good stuff. Amazing how long ammo lasts.

captpete

Cool story and pic! 
I have 2 paper hull 16ga. slugs that still look like new. I can't remember where/how I got them...nobody in my family has every had a 16ga. gun.

100_3224-001 by K Pete, on Flickr
100_3225 by K Pete, on Flickr

Ranger

Enjoyed the story a lot, thanks for sharing!
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

chadly

Cool story and pic! 
I have 2 paper hull 16ga. slugs that still look like new. I can't remember where/how I got them...nobody in my family has every had a 16ga. gun.

Looks like a great reason to go get a 16ga!  They would be a sweet gun to own other than the ammo selection.  I have ammo for all my guns.  Probably too much.  It's all vacuum packed and date coded.  I just finished up with my 2010 pheasant loads.  I paid $9.99/box back then.  I bought a case of the same stuff this year because I found a good price at $18.99.  If it's kept dry it will last forever and the price only goes up.  My only fear is if they out law lead. 

Sir-diealot

Friend of mine has a old yellow paper 4 gauge shell, I don't think I would want to shoot it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.