OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alps Long Spur?

Started by Knik, January 02, 2019, 10:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knik

Thinking about giving one a try. Really like the fact that it is open in the back as I sweat very easily, and kinda concerned that the fanny pack hanging off the back might be and issue when sitting against a tree. Anyone have any experience with the Long Spur or opinions?

St. Augustine Strutter

I have the longspur and I like it a lot. It's a good compromise between wearing a full blown vest and carrying just a satchel. Has plenty of space for everything needed. As for the pouch in the back, it is easily removable via zipper and I often times leave it in the truck. However, I do keep it with me sometimes and it actually provides some support when posting up against a tree.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gobspur

No seat pad?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

ncturkey

I think I would like the Alps Impact Vest better.

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: Gobspur on January 04, 2019, 10:09:48 AM
No seat pad?

No seat pad, but I suppose you could use the back pouch as a detachable cushion if you stuffed it with filler. Not a bad idea actually.

I just took a look at the alps impact vest mentioned above. Appears to be more of a full blown vest. Regardless, I am sure it is a quality product as are most things produced by alps.

Knik

Thanks for the info Strutter, thought it might fill the void behind the lower back while against a tree but wasn't sure. Due to a fading hip I ended up ordering a Hunt Comfort Fatboy last season, wow what a difference that made, can actually sit still a lot longer. Thinking the Long Spur combined with the Fatboy might be just the ticket for what I'm looking for in a lightweight setup.

Gobspur

Quote from: Sanderson Strutter on January 04, 2019, 01:50:22 PM
Quote from: Gobspur on January 04, 2019, 10:09:48 AM
No seat pad?

No seat pad, but I suppose you could use the back pouch as a detachable cushion if you stuffed it with filler. Not a bad idea actually.

I just took a look at the alps impact vest mentioned above. Appears to be more of a full blown vest. Regardless, I am sure it is a quality product as are most things produced by alps.
Turns out, there is one with a seat pad.  Called the long spur deluxe. 

paboxcall

I have a Long Spur, and I took a regular foam seat that comes with a strap and buckle used to clip around your waist. I secured it to the fanny pack, and it hangs below the pack. The foam seat is right there when I sit down and stays connected to the pack when I get up.

If you over stuff the fanny pack, like heavier clothes for a cold morning, it can be uncomfortable leaning against the tree. In that case I take the pack off and spin it around so the fanny pack is between my legs in front of me on the ground. All pockets are accessible this way too.

Overall any vest on the market is a mix of pros and cons, and when you try to go light there are inherent trade offs. I prefer a fanny pack with a shoulder harness to a traditional vest, and I rigged the foam seat so it works for me.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Notsoyoungturk

Love my longspur.  Can put extras in the detachable backpack that can be carried, left at the tree or left in the car.  Turkey seat keeps me comfortable at rest. Longspur is light for on the move
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear