turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

chrome lined chambers

Started by TURKEY MASTER, January 02, 2019, 09:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TURKEY MASTER

I was getting ready to polish my barrel on my new maxus then I read on here that browning chrome lines the chamber on the maxus it shouldn't hurt as long as I only polish the barrel and not the chamber.  :help: :help: :help:

dirt road ninja

I don't have a Maxus, but I do have a few other Brownings. The barrels have a mirror finish from the factory. They seem to be of excellent quality and only require a cleaning to shine. Do you see tooling marks in yours or having a difficult time getting it clean? If no, I would very Leary to touch it with a lined chamber.

LaLongbeard

If the chamber is chrome lined  I seriously doubt a scotch pad with bore compound will hurt it, if it does then the chrome lining was less than useless. Chrome is a hard alloy it is used in high heat or corrosive applications in pipe used in refinerys etc. If the grade and thickness of chrome used is so delicate then it has been applied only for show and not function. I polish my barels bore chamber an all an never had an issue ..it take some serious work with a drill and scotch brite to remove metal let alone chrome.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

TURKEY MASTER

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking also. I'm for sure gonna polish the barrel. I want to get everything I can get out of the gun and polishing the barrel will for sure help.

Sir-diealot

Forgive my ignorance but what does it mean to "polish my barrel" on a shotgun? I know years ago they did it with rifles using varying degrees of I guess you would say grit shot in order each being a finer grit and it was supposed to help the accuracy but how does it work on a shotgun?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 03, 2019, 09:37:37 PM
Forgive my ignorance but what does it mean to "polish my barrel" on a shotgun? I know years ago they did it with rifles using varying degrees of I guess you would say grit shot in order each being a finer grit and it was supposed to help the accuracy but how does it work on a shotgun?
Helps with pattern density........

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 04, 2019, 12:26:53 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 03, 2019, 09:37:37 PM
Helps with pattern density........
In what way? What exactly do you do to polish it and how is it done?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

dirt road ninja

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

The above link goes into detail on the subject. I have done it on a couple guns and did see slight improvement in my numbers, where I gained the biggest advantage was the bores became easier to clean. Years ago I was into chasing numbers, now that I've settled on my loads I rarely clean my guns and only pattern to insure POA and POI are the same. The process did let me know exactly how far my patterns held together.

Double B

I would not polish, just get it real clean.  You may scratch up the chrome finish and muck it up. Chrome lined bore is already slick, I doubt you will make it slicker.  I have done an 835 and it helped, but I won't polish my chrome bores.
Followed by buzzards

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 04, 2019, 06:13:03 AM
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

The above link goes into detail on the subject. I have done it on a couple guns and did see slight improvement in my numbers, where I gained the biggest advantage was the bores became easier to clean. Years ago I was into chasing numbers, now that I've settled on my loads I rarely clean my guns and only pattern to insure POA and POI are the same. The process did let me know exactly how far my patterns held together.
Thank you very much, I saved to desktop and will read it when I return from town.

John Koenig:

30_06

Polishing the bore of my guns gave a slight increase in numbers. I believe it increased consistency. It definitely made cleanup a breeze.

Esse quam videri

firedup

I have polished a number of barrels in various turkey guns over the years.  And saw a slight improvement in pattern density and shot numbers in a 10" at 40 in most of them.  Polishing the barrel is a different process than honing and then polishing.  I know the OP said polishing but its good to understand the difference.  For chrome barrels, if the process was done correctly, they should need no polishing. A mirror finish is slick stuff.  Back in the day, shooting lead, it was worth it IMO.  In todays world with HTL shot, TSS and the increased efficiencies in loading turkey loads , the results I saw from polishing was so insignificant that it really wasn't worth doing unless you just wanted a project or were into numbers.  All JMO and good luck to ya! Oh yeah, pm Clark at Allaboutshooting...or Sumtoy.  They have done so many tests over the years......great resource!

kwild835

I think polishing the barrel of your Maxus would not be worth your time and effort.  The barrel is like a mirror already.  Buy you some good ammo and forget about it.  I have polished an 835 and a Browning Gold.  835 patterns increased density by 10% and the Gold stayed the same.  This was with Hevi 7's.  With TSS I think polishing is a huge waste of time.

dejake

Go figure, I get my best patterns with a dirty barrel.

Gobble!

I've heard some negative reports after polishing so I've never seen the need to.