OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Snakewood Trumpet Build  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Gawhitaker

• Longbeard
Re: Snakewood Trumpet Build
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
Fantastic figuring in that one, turned out Gorgeous !!

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »

Appreciate it, yeah, I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Something about Snakewood, just seems to have a little extra turkey in it.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

Appreciate it, yeah, I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Something about Snakewood, just seems to have a little extra turkey in it.

Nice looking call.

My experience with Snakewood is a little different. It doesn't seem to have any special tonal quality, is very prone to cracking and the pattern and figure fades over time..instead of improving like say Osage or Olivewood, it goes the other direction.. Just one man's observations.
Royal Slam 2008

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 07:28:19 PM »

Nice looking call.

My experience with Snakewood is a little different. It doesn't seem to have any special tonal quality, is very prone to cracking and the pattern and figure fades over time..instead of improving like say Osage or Olivewood, it goes the other direction.. Just one man's observations.
Hey Nitro, I hear ya, thank goodness there are lots of wood choices as everyone may prefer a little different sound and look. I love my Snakewood horn, and to me it is unique/special, but I have others that are great in their own way too.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »

Nice looking call.

Hey Nitro, I hear ya, thank goodness there are lots of wood choices as everyone may prefer a little different sound and look. I love my Snakewood horn, and to me it is unique/special, but I have others that are great in their own way too.

Understood. Let's revisit this in 5or 10 years and see how she looks. I have some 30 year old trumpets that have improved...  and some 5 year old Snakewood calls that have almost bled out ..it's a strange phenomenon  of chemistry, and this oxidation, weathering process..
Royal Slam 2008

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »

Nice looking call.

Understood. Let's revisit this in 5or 10 years and see how she looks. I have some 30 year old trumpets that have improved...  and some 5 year old Snakewood calls that have almost bled out ..it's a strange phenomenon  of chemistry, and this oxidation, weathering process..

Deal....let's meet up and hunt a bird together, I will bring a slew of trumpets to compare(including this Snakewood).....hopefully we can both get around okay in 10 years, might need to make that 5 if we are near any mountains.....lol   

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »

Nice looking call.

Deal....let's meet up and hunt a bird together, I will bring a slew of trumpets to compare(including this Snakewood).....hopefully we can both get around okay in 10 years, might need to make that 5 if we are near any mountains.....lol

I'm always up for a May NGA mpountain bird hunt. I plan to hunt - until I can't.. 
Royal Slam 2008

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »

Nice looking call.

I'm always up for a May NGA mpountain bird hunt. I plan to hunt - until I can't..

We need to make that happen, like you I plan on going until I can't walk. My dad loves turkey hunting, this is his last year, sad for me as I walked many a mile with him through the mountains and cypress swamps of Florida chasing turkeys, hope I can make it to my mid-80's like him.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 11:47:34 PM »
Dam it it's getting interesting  :popcorn:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »
Dam it it's getting interesting  :popcorn:
Nah, just having a fun discussion.....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:35:32 AM by gergg »

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 08:27:08 AM »
Well you know
We Chang some , some change a lot over the years and some not munch
Change a little
If you understand what I mean
Wood  and flesh are the same  as changing over years
Hey I'm going back to my coffee  this is to much for me right now
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
shes a beaut.

Offline turkey stew

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
Mighty fine trumpet!

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »
Mighty fine trumpet!

Thanks, it is a favorite of mine for sure.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline Fatbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
Beautiful call
East TN Beard Buster