OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Experimenting with my 20 gauge

Started by Jrkimbrough, December 30, 2018, 09:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

After trying a 20gauge last spring and really falling it love with it I'm trying to really experiment with it before this next spring.   I didn't have a lot of time prior to last spring to do much other than a few simple patternig tests. 

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is does it pattern  better squeaky clean or dirty?  With the little testing Ive done it seems to be leaning toward the dirty side.  Im trying to figure out a more economical way of testing this specific aspect.

Can I test the clean vs dirty method with a cheaper turkey load or dove load instead of the TSS loads I shoot?  I thought I may be able to test with a cheaper load and shoot 5-10 shots and see where the pattern starts to improve or degrade.  Then from there I know where my guns needs to be when patterning the TSS.

Any input or suggestions?

I know this may be a bit excessive but Im a bit of a tinkerer and a perfectionist and enjoy the research and experimenting side of this stuff

Thanks!!

Fullfan

I have 3 20ga guns that only hunt in the spring. I hand load TSS and found that my guns all pattern well clean or with several shots down the barrel. I would not get real excited about keeping the tube spotless with TSS.
Don't gobble at me...

davisd9

I used to be pretty OCD on my barrel cleanliness but when I started loading TSS I just hunt it. I clean before the season and after the season now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Jrkimbrough

I guess one big reason I'm wanting to maximize my pattern is I'm thinking about using the Federal tss liads instead of Apex. $10 a box cheaper is quiet a bit of difference but the Feds have less pellets.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: davisd9 on December 30, 2018, 10:28:11 AM
I used to be pretty OCD on my barrel cleanliness but when I started loading TSS I just hunt it. I clean before the season and after the season now.

With TSS I do the same

davisd9

Quote from: Jrkimbrough on December 30, 2018, 11:35:14 AM
I guess one big reason I'm wanting to maximize my pattern is I'm thinking about using the Federal tss liads instead of Apex. $10 a box cheaper is quiet a bit of difference but the Feds have less pellets.

I hand load but if I did not I would use the Fed 9s

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

QuoteI thought I may be able to test with a cheaper load and shoot 5-10 shots and see where the pattern starts to improve or degrade.  Then from there I know where my guns needs to be when patterning the TSS

The perfect method!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nyhunter

What gun and choke are you using?  keep us posted on your findings please!!

Gobble!

Quote from: davisd9 on December 30, 2018, 12:05:02 PM
Quote from: Jrkimbrough on December 30, 2018, 11:35:14 AM

I hand load but if I did not I would use the Fed 9s

x2.