OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New season, ain’t long now  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
New season, ain’t long now
« on: December 30, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
Ok guys so the holidays are sorta past us. Relatively soon hunt seasons will end. The woods are open exposing the lay of the land. Fairly quick, within a couple months for sure, winter flocks will be real visible.
Now there’s two ways to go about learning to turkey hunt. One way is screwing up, I guess we all do/have or preparing/gathering info ahead of time. Screwing up means you learn after the fact. Maybe next time you try dif. Better is learn as much as possible beforehand so this year is a success.
Now might be tough where you live w the snow but your mind needs to think about season soon imo.
You can start to check a gun/chokes/loads. You can figure where you’d like to hunt. Start learning how/when to call. Get ready to start finding big winter flocks. Find some areas not near an easy access. Guess what, one spot ain’t nearly enough. Keep looking/finding. 10% of the guys kill 90% of the game. What do they know you don’t??

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: New season, ain’t long now
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
I am gonna practice my facepaint application, walking in slow motion through mud puddles and my steely-eyed stare. I just popped a DVD that came with a tree stand I bought and realized I am severely lacking in those departments.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
I am gonna practice my facepaint application, walking in slow motion through mud puddles and my steely-eyed stare. I just popped a DVD that came with a tree stand I bought and realized I am severely lacking in those departments.

Lol.....now that was funny. I must admit though that I've got the steely-eyed stare down pretty good!! :homersimpson:

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »
 :TooFunny:  ya  bootcamp for Turkey hunting   :TooFunny:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »
Its definitely on the mind now.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »
Only 86 more days until the opener but I am not counting.....LOL

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:18 AM »
Season opens April 13th this year in Virginia

My Birthday!!  Happens every six years or so. I love it!!
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
Season never really ends for me. I spent a couple days scouting a new public area I've never been to before. Bought a topo map of the area beforehand and checked all the areas I found on the map that looked promising. Then there's the out of state hunts to plan maps to buy, finding camping areas, reading over the regulations for a new state etc. and planning a travel schedule. Plenty to do...and then the gobbler scouting in late March the best part ,won't be long.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?