OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First time mentors and kids  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
First time mentors and kids
« on: January 25, 2019, 05:45:00 AM »
Hopefully I’m not too early. All of what I’ll describe has been discussed before but this time of year there’s lots of traffic starting on the site. Someone is sure to join or perhaps their child is about to start their first year.
Nothing I say is absolute just consider some things brought up.

First off get the child to understand guns and shooting. Preferably w something very soft kicking such as a .22. I won’t give you a full development plan here but you can ask me or others whatever you’re unsure about. Just know shooting a gun is a little scary/nerve racking for real young children so go at their pace.
Come time to shoot a shotgun, remember the gun must fit. Do not give them a gun they can grow into. Get em one that fits now. Avoid single shot hammer guns. They often need to be cocked before a shot and cocking beforehand is dangerous. So is decocking w cold inexperienced fingers.

When you pattern the gun. Do it away from the child. You pattern the gun and than the child another day can shoot real light target loads for practice. Come hunt day they won’t anticipate a beating and won’t notice the difference.
The type gun matters too. A semi kicks less but is often heavier consider your options.
For the type choke do not follow the recommendations of experienced hunters. Their requirements are much different. Shooting crazy tight patterns is not what you want. I often use a modified barrel and stay within 30 yard or whatever effective range is. It’s better than missing at ten. That miss will demoralize the child more than any bird that was almost in range at 40. There’s always tomo and you only get so many chances. Don’t blow it.

Hearing protection should be worn. Inner foam and outer muffs make the gun seem less loud and kick less. A recoil reducing rest like a lead sled can help as well but bear in mind lead sleds add length of pull so to speak because of how the gun sits in the cradle.

Optics. Some guns may not shoot point of aim and need optics. If you scope the gun and the kid gets scope eye you may have a prob. A red dot or peep is a better choice. I say peep do the head stays down .
Sitting on stand- you can use blinds. Some guys hate em but if the kids moves a bunch they’ll have more fun listening, watching and wiggling in the blind than having you yell at them to sit still.
Decoys are optional but can help place bird in front of the child for an easy shot. Don’t forget a seat for them and either a bipod or sticks to shoot off of is great.

Here’s one lots of guys won’t like. Don’t shoot your kids bird!! Doesn’t matter if it gets away. Give them a chance. They aren’t there to watch us shoot. If the bird is killed at 35 by you how do you know it wouldn’t have come to 25? The kid won’t want to tell their friends “yea I went hunting, dad shot one”. I guarantee a big percentage stop pretty quick going.

Timeframe. When that kid starts figeting, acting bored, asks to stop you really need to. Nothing is gonna prevent another trip for him if he’s held hostage cause you worked all week and want to stay beyond his threshold.  The kids are young once. Cater to em here
I’m sure I’ll think of some other things to mention. Other fellows , I can think of , MAK M GOBL mentors a bunch as well. I hope he and anyone else offers insight to help new mentors.
Anything else please ask. Best time of your life is mentoring a kid!!

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: First time mentors and kids
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »
Great stuff Bowguy, I know we have both done a lot of mentoring youth hunts and hunts with first timers and you are right on the ball. I have some (2) first time adults for this years Learn to Hunt program, our "Badger Camp" auctioned off a (Hunt for 2) as a fundraiser to support their youth program at camp, I have a buddy who asked if I would volunteer for this and my "Yes" and we were set to go, I have youth season hunters right after, then will be with friends for the rest of the season and a few tags of my own.

Can't beat those smiles!

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:39:14 AM by MK M GOBL »

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »
Best time of your life is mentoring a kid!!

The day belongs to the kid!.!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:35:39 AM by bobk »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
Great stuff Bowguy, I know we have both done a lot of mentoring youth hunts and hunts with first timers and you are right on the ball. I have some (2) first time adults for this years Learn to Hunt program, our "Badger Camp" auctioned off a (Hunt for 2) as a fundraiser to support their youth program at camp, I have a buddy who asked if I would volunteer for this and my "Yes" and we were set to go, I have youth season hunters right after, then will be with friends for the rest of the season and a few tags of my own.

Can't beat those smiles!

MK M GOBL

Mentoring shouldn’t stop at the kids as stated here. First timers or inexperienced could always use the help. I didn’t name the type kids in my post. There was a reason for that. Don’t forget the girls!!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
I know I’ve posted this pic before but it’s one of my all time favorites so forgive me but this is what it’s all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »
Tried to get my youngest daughter to go last year but she decided to wait 1 more year. She likes shooting the 22 but says she just ain't feeling the 20 gauge My oldest is saying she might want to try it this year. I hope so. If either one got into turkey hunting, I wouldn't care if I ever shot another one if they were my life long hunting partner.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »
I know I’ve posted this pic before but it’s one of my all time favorites so forgive me but this is what it’s all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't apologise for that. Great pic

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:58:06 PM »
It is best to start a kid on squirrels or rabbits.  Are you doing it for the kid or for your ego.  Turkey hunting is a big boy sport.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »
For her. I will never force them into hunting. It is up to her. She always has questions and now she is at the age where she is realizing that she can start making some decisions. That being said, she is the one who wants to learn to shoot and then make the choice to go or not. In today's world with all the different types of gun's, ammo, chokes, gear, etc, I totally disagree that it's a big boy sport ( that is just my opinion).

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
It is best to start a kid on squirrels or rabbits.  Are you doing it for the kid or for your ego.  Turkey hunting is a big boy sport.

Sorry to have to disagree with you on this but I have had a lot of young boys and girls that have started out with turkey hunting, in part because of our states programs for  "Learn to hunts" and Youth Seasons and Mentor Program. I put in time and effort in the teaching safety, conservation, hunter ethics and respect for others and the animal we are hunting.
Can't say it's a bad thing to start out on squirrels and rabbits but it's not the only way, I have started kids just out on "shooting" targets and such, and in no way do I feel turkey hunting is a "Big Boy Sport". To me it's more important for them to take those first steps whatever the venue. IMHO

MK M GOBL

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 02:50:18 AM »

Sorry to have to disagree with you on this but I have had a lot of young boys and girls that have started out with turkey hunting, in part because of our states programs for  "Learn to hunts" and Youth Seasons and Mentor Program. I put in time and effort in the teaching safety, conservation, hunter ethics and respect for others and the animal we are hunting.
Can't say it's a bad thing to start out on squirrels and rabbits but it's not the only way, I have started kids just out on "shooting" targets and such, and in no way do I feel turkey hunting is a "Big Boy Sport". To me it's more important for them to take those first steps whatever the venue. IMHO

MK M GOBL

I agree w this. I’ve also started kids on turks. If some kid showed interest in hunting for instance the pic w my daughter holding the turkey. 3 week’s earlier she turned legal age. She expressed interest in trying. I never made her. Simply offered she could hunt.
So imagine if I said wait til fall, we gotta hunt squirrels first. That means she’d wait a year to hunt turkey. I just don’t think that’s fair.
Also we offer mentored hunts through the NWTF. It’s also a learn to hunt program. I often give the info out to recruit kids at my hunter ed classes. These are brand new hunters.  Imagine a requirement they gotta hunt squirrels first, if it’s a March class they wouldn’t even be eligible?
I understand the sentiment but I unfortunately disagree.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »
Started my kids on deer and turkeys at a young age. In fact they killed deer before they ever shot a squirrel or rabbit.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
It is best to start a kid on squirrels or rabbits. 

I agree with this to a point.  Most kids, I believe, want some action when they start out hunting.  That is, they want to see the game they are after and get to shoot some.  Starting kids on game species that will give them lots of shooting opportunities, or at least some of that, will make them want more.

With turkey hunting, it all depends on where you get to take kids.  Having private property loaded with gobbling turkeys that kids can hear and see is one thing.  Having to hunt public land where a kid might not hear or see a wild turkey in days of hunting is another.  Under the latter conditions, I can assure you that both you and the kid you are taking out hunting will be miserable by the time the hunt is over,...which is likely to be pretty quickly.

An experienced adult's reasons for going hunting,...compared to a kid that is just starting out,...are most often entirely different.

Oh, by the way, original post is excellent....

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
Great post. Nothing is more rewarding than taking a kid or a first timer out! Its even better when your successful! But success isn't everything, i believe its those close calls and unsuccessful hunts that will teach them the most.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:34:41 PM by jordanz7935 »