OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Game cameras  (Read 2662 times)

Offline SinGin

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Game cameras
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 08:57:15 PM »
Use a website called trailcampro.com  They test every camera on the market. I use them for reference all the time and they have a great staff answering any question. They sell cameras also, didn't before. I use Browning mostly, Spy point (high rating) solar also. They rate just under the Reconx for a third of the price. I have a issue hanging a $600 camera out there. I also spend another $40 for security box and python cable for each camera. I can sleep better. I work in a sporting retail store. Most of the cameras I sell are replacements for one's stolen because people just strap their cameras to the tree with the cloth strap provided. Dumb, in my opinion. Metal security boxes also keep your camera out of the harsh environment making your camera last longer and from "critters" chewing on them. I lag bolt my boxes to the tree also, using a cordless drill. Cameras with "viewing" screens are nice, you'll pay more. You can "see" where you are aiming camera. Use plastic door stops, not "sticks", to adjust your angles before you lag box to tree. Place camera with the rising sun to it's back for better pictures. Remove, trim, foliage in front that wind can move or you will get a thousand "pics" of blowing branches. Buy the Browning strike force HD pro, with viewing screen, you'll be happy you did.....

Nice website, lots of useful info. Thanks for the heads up on it

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
I currently use Browning, Primos, Bushnell and Stealth cams. The Browning is my favorite but the Primos cams have held up the longest. I got lots of awesome video turkey footage last spring via my Browning trail cam. If i were going tomorrow to buy a new trail cam it would be a Browning

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 12:01:23 AM »
Primos Proof Gen 2. Looks like they are $70 a camera. I got them when they ran a rebate and sale last year and paid around $40 a camera I think. Have not had a issue yet. Picture quality meets my requirements. Take 8 double As and they last forever.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
Moultrie
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline blake_08

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
I've used several in the last few years and the best i've used so far are the brownings and bushnells. The one's i've used are browning strike force and bushnell Trophy cams. I would probably say the brownings are my favorite because they use 6 AA batteries instead of 8 (bushnell's use 8) and the battery life is every bit as good on the brownings as they are other cameras. Also, the bushnell uses a weird file format for the videos and some devices won't play their video. The browning uses a more standard file format and i have yet to find a device that wouldn't play a browning video. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
Your welcome Sin Gin, no problem, glad to help fellow sportsmen...

Offline RailRoader

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
Primos Proof Gen 2. Looks like they are $70 a camera. I got them when they ran a rebate and sale last year and paid around $40 a camera I think. Have not had a issue yet. Picture quality meets my requirements. Take 8 double As and they last forever.

Ditto. Can’t beat them for the money.

Offline ars1234

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
I have probably bought 20-25 cameras in my lifetime and without a doubt Reconyx are by far the best. They are expensive (325 on sale) but mine is 5 years old and works perfectly. I have used the same set of lithiums for 2 years and have had no issues with batteries.
 I have some bushnells that I like but 3 years seems like the max lifespan. Sometimes you'll get one that will last a year or two longer. I only leave one up all year and take the rest down at the end of deer season, take the batteries out and store in a safe place until next season. If it wasn't for occasional ginseng, mushroom and meth trespassers I would probably leave the reconyx out all year.

My opinion on others cameras I have used.
Stealth cams seem to never work.
Moultrie used to be good but my last two were trash.
Coverts are good but only lasted 2 years.
Cuddebacks now suck. My original film cuddeback was awesome but a raccoon destroyed it.

I like trail cams for deer inventory more than anything. When it comes to turkeys I scout with binocs.

Offline raven105

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
I also pay close attention to trailcampro.com and because of their camera reviews, I bought my first Browning camera a few years ago and they are all I run.  I use the Strike Force line of cameras exclusively.  Run on 6 AA batteries and with lithiums they can last 10 months easy in trail cam mode.  Customer service is excellent as well.  I had a strap to break after 2 years of use and contacted them to see if I could just buy another strap, they sent me 2 free of charge no questions asked. 

Offline tomfooleryy

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »
I’ve had some decent luck with the scoutcams. Gonna have to get one of the reconciling cams one of these days!

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
I have 10 browning cameras, I will use nothing else.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
A friend of mine also uses them exclusively. They work really good.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »
I have a friend who uses some of the $30 tasco from Walmart and it's impressive how well they do for $30.  Next time I buy I'm going to give them a try.
My local Wallyworld had a couple of them on sale for $28!! I figured at that price, if they were junk, we'd just chunk them. We were pleasantly surprised at how well they worked!!

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 05:59:52 PM »
Stay away from the Cuddebacks, they were a great camera years ago but junk now.
Totally agree!!! :icon_thumright: :agreed: :icon_thumright: :agreed: :icon_thumright:
If someone tried to give me a Cuddecrap, I wouldn't take it. :z-twocents:

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 06:13:13 PM »
We've tried many cameras over the years, but I flat out refuse to pay $200 or more for any high end camera. Most of our cams cost less than $100. We run Moultrie's, Wild Game Innovations, Primos Proof Gen 2's, and those Tasco's mentioned before.
The only issues are, the lower end WGI's and the Tasco's don't have a sensitivity setting. So you have to be careful where you put them. If you have lots of weeds or branches that will blow in the wind and get heated up by the sun, you'll get lots of pics of nothing. Once we figured that out, with thoughtful placement, all of our cameras perform well.
With the low cost, we can buy more cams, and if one gives up the ghost, we just chunk it and buy a new one.

Offline jblackburn

• Paintbrush Beard
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »
I picked up two cheapo Tasco cameras from Walmart in December, and I'm honestly impressed with them, may not last but they were $28
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.