OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black Ash

Started by M,Yingling, December 28, 2018, 04:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomfooleryy

Sir-diealot

What does the black ash look like before it is stabilized? Not sure I have ever seen it before, I used to throw, split and stack a lot on ash when I was younger but I imagine it is not the same thing.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

M,Yingling

Thanks Again

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 27, 2019, 08:36:07 PM
What does the black ash look like before it is stabilized? Not sure I have ever seen it before, I used to throw, split and stack a lot on ash when I was younger but I imagine it is not the same thing.

well it could have been the same wood  u stacked when u was younger its mostly white in color the black ash and white ash are pretty much same wood family the black has slightly darker  color 
In the first pic did u ever see one of the growths coming off side of a tree they can be any where from grape fruit size to 4 or 5 ft round ,, u need a good burl to produce what most call eye in the third pic 
The second pic is a dyed pot and 2 pieces burl below it pretty much white with some darker grain

the bottom 2 pics are white ash it produes burls also but is pretty much same color also both trees will produce darker heart wood center of tree
The first pics is from a slab that had just a tree limb growing out so that piece had little curl a wave to it ,, call on left came from blank like that and i flame them to high lite the grain in wood ,, in second pic the call on right it came from a croutch piece the y in tree and its stabilized dyed high lite grain

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Sir-diealot

Thanks for the reply. No I did not see trees with that growth on the side that I recall. Looking at the wood that you showed I would have to say that it was white ash, also I went and looked at the bark from white, black and green ash and that really made me think it was white ash. The family business was doing firewood because my father was a Union construction worker and living in NY there was just not much work in the Winter so it helped us get by. I used to have to split the wood by hand but man was I happy when my father got a hydraulic wood splitter, made the job so much easier and faster. Just had to watch my fingers instead of my toes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Harty

Very educational. I'm glad to now have that insight. Thankss

johnski

Very intresting stuff.  That call sure is a looker.

Tattoo Dave

Nice! Love that burl.

Tattoo Dave

zelmo1