OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: suggestions for 20 build  (Read 5705 times)

Offline mrclif

Re: suggestions for 20 build
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »
Thanks, its Hydro dipped stock and forearm Cerakote on barrel and receiver.

Looks really nice.  I have an 11-87 Black Synthetic that I want to wrap or dip in MO OB.  Think I will start with wrapping it since the cost is so much less.
Wrapping works but doesn't seem to last for me and has alot more glare in sun light. Depending on which stock you have can add to difficulty. The best cost less method in my opinion is rattle can, works as good as any hydrodipping. Most all my centerfire hunting rifles have been rattle canned I jus aint done it on a shotgun yet.

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »
THAT is an excellent idea!  I can always get it dipped later when I got the money, and they come out with MO Greenleaf again, but for now that should be the perfect fix.  Think I will head up to Home Depot and get some rattle can camo today!!
April is gonna be here before you know it!

My go-to-gun was an 11-87 SP 12 gauge until 2018. 
2018 was the first year ever (started chasing gobblers in 1987) that I carried a 20 gauge (Mossberg 500) and I tagged out for the first time in my life (3 birds here in VA). 

I really love my 11-87 SP so decided to sell the Mossberg and get an 11-87 20 gauge.

Now to figure out a good rattle can pattern 

:thanks:
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline mrclif

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
You tube can be your friend on that. I generally use different size ropes and cords. Generally makes a good tiger stripe effect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 01:51:59 PM »
LOL  just spent the last 45 mins watching guys paint their guns on YouTube!
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 06:02:55 PM »
 Here is an “on the cheap & easy”:

Not spray, but after converting a youth 870 20 ga. with a black stock, I used some cheap craft paint and some natural sponges to “sponge paint” camo (got the idea here on OG). Total cost was $5. It has held up just fine - and if it ever needs touched up... it can be done very easily.

Just a thought as an alternative

Offline RailRoader

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 10:15:24 PM »
Here is an “on the cheap & easy”:

Not spray, but after converting a youth 870 20 ga. with a black stock, I used some cheap craft paint and some natural sponges to “sponge paint” camo (got the idea here on OG). Total cost was $5. It has held up just fine - and if it ever needs touched up... it can be done very easily.

Just a thought as an alternative

Can you post a link for the directions? Can’t beat that for $5

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
What color is that dipped in?

It's not dipped.  I hand painted that gun with rattle cans.  It took lots of layers, time, and love though.   ;D

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline RailRoader

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »
It looks good!!

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »

Can you post a link for the directions? Can’t beat that for $5

Not much to it really. Just go to Walmart, go to the craft section. You can find acrylic craft paint in small 2 oz bottles for .99 cents. Pick out the colors you like in the Matt finish - dark brown, light brown, grey, green, etc.

Buy a pack of natural sponges - look for ones that are fairly open.

I spread aluminum foil to act as my “palette” and just squeezed out the different colors. Dip sponge in the paint, dab on cardboard to remove excess paint, and then dab the stock. You can apply one or two colors, and let dry, and then come back and add more.

Great part is, you can change up anyway you want. I didn’t do anything special afterwards, like spraying a clear coat. It has been very durable. If you dou scratch up an area - just grab another piece of sponge and some more paint.

It uses very little paint. 5 mixed color bottles could probably do 20 guns... lol

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:27:06 PM by SteelerFan »

Offline RailRoader

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:05 PM »
Thanks steelerfan