OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

suggestions for 20 build

Started by tracker#1, December 27, 2018, 09:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracker#1

Looking for suggestions for building my daughters Remington express magnum 3" 870 20 gauge. Picked a fast fire 3 for it, looking for recommendations for mounting it, not tapped. Suggestions for adjustable stock, so I can use it also, Info on sending barrel out to who ? Chokes ? Going to be using new #7 TSS, #9s not legal here. Want it to be a 40- 45 yard gun. Any guidance from you pros would greatly be appreciated. Thanks....hunt safe

mrclif

I went with ATI stock and purchased a 20" barrel new off Ebay and running a .555 Indian creek choke but the factory turkey choke it came with is plenty for yardage you spoke of. Had receiver drilled and tapped installed sumtoy mount with a vortex venom on top.(edit no pro jus telling ya what I did)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PharmHunter

Pretty much would second the above suggestions.  Have it Drilled/Tapped and either go with Sumtoy or a Marlin (336 I think it is) base for the FastFire.  No need to send barrel off for anything really.  A choke from Sumtoy or Indian Creek and that gun will be a killer, I assure you.  Federal has larger shot size TSS loads coming for legality perhaps in your state, or try to scoop up some Federal HW if you can find them on here or elsewhere from private sellers.  Those adjustable ATI stocks are readily available.
Good luck and enjoy!  My favorite turkey gun setup for sure.

Fl strutter

I just built a 1187 compact 20 gauge with 21 inch barrel. Had sumtoy drill and tap for his base with protector for venom which is same foot print as the burris. Im shooting handloaded 9s but 7s will be bad to tbe bone. No need for high dollar chokes with tss unless you want super tight patterns. I bought a rem superfull 572 for like 20 bucks and its what im gonna shoot and i tried several from indian creek. Heres pics of gun and patterns hope it helps.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pao8mGQRNhmchrM4A

kwild835

Mossberg Sa20 turkey thug! Love the way this lil gun feels.  Now has a FF2 with a sumtoy mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

the Carson .575 shoots well in those.

davisd9

Love my little 500 and 11-87.

11-87 with RSF .576:

500 with Carlson 575, have taken off the scope to shoot bead:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Message me ,if you need some help in putting one together ...

Sand Man

Here's my personal gun and one of many I have built:

Started life as a wood stock youth model.  Took all the wood furniture off and went with a synthetic forearm from Remington and a Knoxx adjustable stock with a limbsaver pad for the butt stock.  Knoxx stopped making these for the Remington 20s, but I think ATI still currently produces one.  I had the receiver drilled and tapped with a Weaver rail to attach my FF.  If you don't want to drill and tape, you will need a saddle mount.  I've got one from B-square I use on my 28ga.  Looks like there are several options out there now:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/remington/870/optics-mounts.do

I don't see any reason to send your barrel off.  I've built between 10 and 15 of these guys for friends and family members.  I've yet to see one that didn't pattern very well with TSS.  All most needed was a deep cleaned barrel and a Remington Super Full "Lead Only" choke.  (Remington stop producing these as well).  Looks like there's some at Bud's for sale:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/26689/Rem+Choke+20+Gauge+Turkey+Super+Full

.572 constriction

However, with a kid behind the trigger and only wanting a 40-45 yard gun I'd go with a more open choke.  I've found the Hevi-shot model Super Full throws a great even open pattern at 40 yards.  Maybe Remington doesn't make them any more??  I know I have one, but I can't find one now.  here's a link to the one Hevi-shot makes:

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-choke-turkey/

.573 constriction.  I'm pretty sure the factory Remington model was more open than this.

I've also had good luck with Trulock and Primos turkey chokes.  Might be too tight for a kid.  If so, I'd go down to a full choke.

Several needed the barrels to be polished to tighten up the patterns on the ones I built.  Very easy to do by your self with a cordless drill.  Good luck and message me if you have any questions.  Wealth of information on here.  It's where I got started and learned.  Gun above killed a slam.  Now I'm on to the 28ga to try and get my slam with it.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

tnanh

There is an Indian Creek Listed in the classifieds yesterday for 60.00 shipped. That is a good price. I have several friends that like that choke in their Remington. I have a Sum toy 562-5, a Remington SF, and a Carlson's 575 which all do pretty good in my youth 870. For a younger hunter especially I would probably try the Carlson's 575 It is hard to beat for the money.

tracker#1

Thank you all for help, suggestions, ideas and gun pictures. Those are some real nice lookin killers. When I get this one done, I will be sure to post it. You guys helped me a lot, I appreciate the feed back, thanks....

RailRoader

Quote from: Sand Man on January 03, 2019, 10:54:42 AM
Here's my personal gun and one of many I have built:

Sand Man, was that gun dipped and what is that pattern called? I've got a 20 gauge 870 I'm want to do something similar with.

Started life as a wood stock youth model.  Took all the wood furniture off and went with a synthetic forearm from Remington and a Knoxx adjustable stock with a limbsaver pad for the butt stock.  Knoxx stopped making these for the Remington 20s, but I think ATI still currently produces one.  I had the receiver drilled and tapped with a Weaver rail to attach my FF.  If you don't want to drill and tape, you will need a saddle mount.  I've got one from B-square I use on my 28ga.  Looks like there are several options out there now:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/remington/870/optics-mounts.do

I don't see any reason to send your barrel off.  I've built between 10 and 15 of these guys for friends and family members.  I've yet to see one that didn't pattern very well with TSS.  All most needed was a deep cleaned barrel and a Remington Super Full "Lead Only" choke.  (Remington stop producing these as well).  Looks like there's some at Bud's for sale:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/26689/Rem+Choke+20+Gauge+Turkey+Super+Full

.572 constriction

However, with a kid behind the trigger and only wanting a 40-45 yard gun I'd go with a more open choke.  I've found the Hevi-shot model Super Full throws a great even open pattern at 40 yards.  Maybe Remington doesn't make them any more??  I know I have one, but I can't find one now.  here's a link to the one Hevi-shot makes:

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-choke-turkey/

.573 constriction.  I'm pretty sure the factory Remington model was more open than this.

I've also had good luck with Trulock and Primos turkey chokes.  Might be too tight for a kid.  If so, I'd go down to a full choke.

Several needed the barrels to be polished to tighten up the patterns on the ones I built.  Very easy to do by your self with a cordless drill.  Good luck and message me if you have any questions.  Wealth of information on here.  It's where I got started and learned.  Gun above killed a slam.  Now I'm on to the 28ga to try and get my slam with it.

What color is that dipped in?

Brwndg

Quote from: mrclif on December 27, 2018, 10:37:59 AM
I went with ATI stock and purchased a 20" barrel new off Ebay and running a .555 Indian creek choke but the factory turkey choke it came with is plenty for yardage you spoke of. Had receiver drilled and tapped installed sumtoy mount with a vortex venom on top.(edit no pro jus telling ya what I did)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did you dip or wrap that stock?  That looks great!!
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

mrclif

Thanks, its Hydro dipped stock and forearm Cerakote on barrel and receiver.

Brwndg

Quote from: mrclif on January 07, 2019, 12:46:58 PM
Thanks, its Hydro dipped stock and forearm Cerakote on barrel and receiver.

Looks really nice.  I have an 11-87 Black Synthetic that I want to wrap or dip in MO OB.  Think I will start with wrapping it since the cost is so much less.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend