OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Box Call

Started by Spyderman, December 26, 2018, 04:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

What is your favorite box call? I have used a Moss Double Tone for the last 20 years, but sat on it during last turkey season. Apparently, Moss Double Tone is out of business now as their website isn't up and an email to the company was returned as undeliverable. That being said, it looks like I'm in the market for a new (and different) box call. What do you all use, and why?

nyhunter

do I have to pick one??   I'm gonna answer this with call maker only because i have several different wood combo's from these call makers, This is not in any sort of order. These guy's all make outstanding sounding calls. I personally carry these calls so I'm only giving there names, there's many many other good call makers out there. My suggestion is to call a few of them and talk directly to them.

Jeff White , Albert Paul , S.S , David Halloran , Spring Creek, Ernie Fetters
1984 Quaker Boy grand old master Supreme grade

daddyduke

Quaker Boy Hurricane box call.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Greg Massey

I have several by different call markers , what i look for is a turkey in the box , i look for that special tone and sound that will get a turkey to respond or at least reaction ... Call makers have different ways of making and tuning calls and few added secrets ... so you will just have to contact them and get sound files and like them on facebook or become friends so you can hear boxes being played .. etc ... Different wood combo's have different sounds ...  Some call builders have a better ear for tuning call's .. some like a clear sharper sound on the front of the box with rollover rasp on the back end ... some like lot's of rasp .. it's just up to you and what makes your ears pop. Lot of good custom call builders on this forum.. they are always willing to help...

LaLongbeard

I have an old Quaker boy Boxcall I think is made of butternut. I've had more gobblers answer that old Boxcall than all the other calls I've owned or used combined.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gooserbat

I'm a call maker, but I'll admit I'm partial to Albert Paul
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

I like my Firedup (l.T.Pack) box call.   I guess he is still building them.  You can tell him what your looking for in sound and chances are good he will come pretty dang close.   He goes by Firedup on this board.   He's a fine fellow who happens to make a pretty dang good box call.  Shoot him a pm.   If nothing else you'll get to talk to a good ole WV boy. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jrkimbrough

I have a Steve Brown box that is my personal favorite

Yoder409

Quote from: Spyderman on December 26, 2018, 04:04:37 PM
What is your favorite box call? I have used a Moss Double Tone for the last 20 years, but sat on it during last turkey season. Apparently, Moss Double Tone is out of business now as their website isn't up and an email to the company was returned as undeliverable. That being said, it looks like I'm in the market for a new (and different) box call. What do you all use, and why?

There are none on thereat the moment..............but the Moss Double Tone is a fairly common visitor to eBay.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

davisd9

Wendell Lancaster is my favorite box call maker. His Jatoba/Holly is my favorite box. It sounds like a turkey and it just kills turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

I have a few Spring Creeks I got from the maker on here.
They are full of turkey. reasonably priced.

turkey_picker

Albert Paul
20 years old and counting

Crghss

I'm primarily a pot caller but always carry a couple box calls.

Started with a spring creeks cedar, Love it. Got a used SS from here also, will see if I can run SS well enough to keep. If not i'll Trade it.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

TauntoHawk

If I'm grabbing just one it's my Terry Baker bloodwood over butternut from midwest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bobk