OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Adding weight to 835?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline jiminpa

Adding weight to 835?
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
What is the best way to add some weight to the front of my 24" 8 35 ? Thanks.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Adding weight to 835?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
The only reasonable solution that comes to mind is a longer barrel. That or duct tape and a piece of lead

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:57:20 PM »
Brownells sells a weighted magazine cap that you can add different weights. Are you wanting  the added wt. for recoil reduction or for balance and better swing on moving targets?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline jiminpa

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 05:54:02 AM »
I did put 10 oz. Of shot behind recoil pad,I want to reduce recoil and smooth out the swing. Right  now it is too whippy, I will experiment with the shot in the stock and check the magazine cap.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:21:23 AM »
If you want to help with recoil I would add a pistol grip stock rather than adding weight to the gun.  Is this just a turkey gun or do you wing shoot with it?
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »
If the stock is synthetic you can fill the whole stock with lead bbs adds quite a bit of wt. but you'd definitely need a counter wt. on front. A friend of mine had his mind made up to shoot 3.5" TSS from Nitro last year we filled his stock with bbs and added the mag cap, it helped a lot but was still too much for him. I told him you never feel the recoil during the shots taken at Gobblers so just check sites an patterns with the wt. then remove it to hunt. If you don't think you can handle the recoil when hunting then it's obviously too much gun for you drop down to a more manageable load....or I hate to say it get a 20 gauge. Carrying an extra pound or more while hunting so you can handle the recoil would be stupid.

Offline NYshotgunner

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »
Maybe just realize you don't need to shoot 3 1/2" loads to kill turkeys.....my hunting partner did after he suffered a detached retina while working up new loads!
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
 NRA Life Member, Veteran

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:58:10 PM »
What is the best way to add some weight to the front of my 24" 8 35 ? Thanks.

You might find something to be of help https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98753735-mossberg-835-with-matthews-harmonic-damper

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 07:06:55 AM »
Idk but I think you may be thinking wrong. You don’t normally swing a turkey gun so that could be irrelevant. As stated you’re not going to feel the gun when shooting at a bird.
Why not just get a lead sled for shooting a gun in. I’m betting it’s the before hunt pounding that’s getting you and not the actual one shot when you are hunting.

Offline jiminpa

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »
I am planning to use the 835 for turkey and maybe some waterfowl hunting, a all around hunting gun.  I did remove some weight from buttstock. It is about 8# 6oz loaded now.Thanks for all your comments,Merry Christmas!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 07:34:54 AM »
Can I mention something? If it’s a newer 835 I think they’re ported now. If you waterfowl w it and are in a blind w friends it’s unfairly LOUD, the gasses blow right at em.
Just something you need to think about.
Merry Christmas

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »
That’s a good idea but most guys don’t use ear plugs. Besides I can’t imagine a day in a blind wearing em. Trying to talk, whisper commands to each other, hearing a distant feed chuckle or wings. Maybe others have more tolerance
Point is if gasses are vented further away from the end you won’t hear near as loud of a bang and I’ve never ever hunted w em (plugs). Don’t seem as most do

Next issue I’d say the other guys don’t wear em, is the op gonna personally supply em or would he expect others to buy their own? It’s his gun that’s an issue?  Now his being there is a financial outlay. Only a few bucks each time yea but who’d want to do that? 
I’ll tell you how I handled it. From the very first time one rang my ears I told my buddy he needed to either use a different gun next time or I’d not call him.
Everyone is different but I’d bet at least among some older waterfowl guys that aren’t changing that’d be the logic.
That being said ear plugs would def be a real good idea

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
I added about 4 to 6 ounces of lead shot TO my 835 in the rear of the stock to help with recoil and balance.  It helped immensely.  Here's what I did.  Take the recoil pad off the gun to gain access to the hollow stock.  Go to Wally world and get you some Styrofoam and cut it to fit inside the stock.  Get 4 to 6 ounces of lead shot wrap it in a sock and duct tape the sock really well.  Cut off just enough of the Styrofoam to get the shot in the stock and you can change the balance of the gun and calm down the recoil as well.  You want the weight of the shot as far back in the stock as possible.  Preferably up against the recoil pad.  Good Luck

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »
Mine requires a log chain and a cinder block.