OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How to draw on a turkey without spooking them?  (Read 7325 times)

Offline DavePwns

How to draw on a turkey without spooking them?
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »
This is my first time hunting turkeys on public land with a bow, my question is what are some good options for drawing my bow on a strutting Tom without spooking it? (I don't want to bring a shelter blind)
Should I hide behind a tree and pop out when the turkey turns his back? Should i sit in front of a tree to break up my outline? Or should I just invest in a ground blind?

What tactics have been helpful for you to get seal the deal with your bow? Any insight is appreciated

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline CtRider

How to draw on a turkey without spooking them?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:30:46 AM »
This is my first time hunting turkeys on public land with a bow, my question is what are some good options for drawing my bow on a strutting Tom without spooking it? (I don't want to bring a shelter blind)
Should I hide behind a tree and pop out when the turkey turns his back? Should i sit in front of a tree to break up my outline? Or should I just invest in a ground blind?

What tactics have been helpful for you to get seal the deal with your bow? Any insight is appreciated

I’ve had two types of experiences Hunting with a bow, mostly out of a ground blind which is the easiest wen it comes to concealment. Probably a pain by yourself but not too bad with a buddy. I killed my first archery tom at 11yds from a ground blind with a strutter decoy, upright hen and breeder

The other was when it was down to the end of season and we just couldn’t get the turkeys to come in, we pulled out a strutter decoy and crawled behind it in the wide open, like what you see called “turkey reeping” before it was a thing. Once they locked in to the decoy, they didn’t care I was drawing. I missed but was at like 15yds. Well I actually hit him broadside instead of in the head but the Magnus Bullhead just bounces off. We watched him to make sure he was uninsured which made a believer in headshots. This is risky business on public land, be careful.

Best of luck to you.

Offline DavePwns

Re: How to draw on a turkey without spooking them?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »

I’ve had two types of experiences Hunting with a bow, mostly out of a ground blind which is the easiest wen it comes to concealment. Probably a pain by yourself but not too bad with a buddy. I killed my first archery tom at 11yds from a ground blind with a strutter decoy, upright hen and breeder

The other was when it was down to the end of season and we just couldn’t get the turkeys to come in, we pulled out a strutter decoy and crawled behind it in the wide open, like what you see called “turkey reeping” before it was a thing. Once they locked in to the decoy, they didn’t care I was drawing. I missed but was at like 15yds. Well I actually hit him broadside instead of in the head but the Magnus Bullhead just bounces off. We watched him to make sure he was uninsured which made a believer in headshots. This is risky business on public land, be careful.

Best of luck to you.
Yes I agree, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable using any Tom decoys on public land, any tips for how you set your your ground blind, and as far as when you are drawing your now behind the blind, are you completely concealed then slowly stand up? Or are you in a position where you can just draw and shoot?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 08:32:07 AM »
Have been both in and out of the blind, out of the blind we set with a tree/brush to the incoming side of your set, as the bird approaches decoy and before he is in sight, past the point of cover the bow is drawn. At this point turkey is focused on decoy and then you just need your shot opportunity. In a blind changes that game, just make sure you are blacked out behind you we shoot from our knees, put a foam seat down for your knees for comfort. We are using a Double Bull Dark horse or Double wide, they have the 180 degree window, set the blind as a diamond not square and decoy to the strong side of center. (Right Hand Shooter/Left Side of Blind) If on public NO Strutter or Jake, we will only set a hen. Decoy is at 10 yards and you are able to draw on bird in blind at this range. If you are taking head shots or body shots pick your spot carefully we take them through drumsticks, bird can't run bird can't fly.

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:34:07 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline CtRider

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »

Best of luck to you.
Yes I agree, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable using any Tom decoys on public land, any tips for how you set your your ground blind, and as far as when you are drawing your now behind the blind, are you completely concealed then slowly stand up? Or are you in a position where you can just draw and shoot?

Standing inside a pop up blind. Maybe squatting a little. Drawing doesn’t matter too much when you’re inside other than if he’s starring at you. In my case he came from my 4:00 and around the blind counter clockwise, I drew when he was about 3:00 while I had the blind wall as a cover, similar to what the others said about a bush or tree. Then just hold draw until you have a clean shot. It’s good to practice holding at full draw for 30,60,90 seconds and increase your endurance and ability to remain accurate.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
Recommend you hunt from a ground blind until you get some experience. Most important, learn shot placement on a turkey.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline DavePwns

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »
Recommend you hunt from a ground blind until you get some experience. Most important, learn shot placement on a turkey.

I assume broadside and frontal shots are the best choice, how effective is the quartering too, quartering away and straight behind shots comparatively?

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 05:05:07 AM »
You can watch some of those shots in action on TWO. Get the app on your phone.   The app is new and they have some good hunts on it.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »
Fter the fist time usig a blind I stopped and just run and gun them in the woods. The key to drawing is having something, tree, bush, rock, almost anything between you and the bird. The closer to the bird the better. When the object is between you and the turkey make the draw in one smooth motion. You have to move so be smooth and with as little sudden movement as you can. Branches, grasses, and other stuff sway in the woods and if your draw has a sway quality to it there is less chance of getting busted. When the target appears send the arrow.

If using dekes, try to have the approach from behind you and just sit still as they walk by. You still have the bet luck with some object to hide them for the actual draw.

It also helps to have any additional arrows staged and not in a quiver. Place them on the ground within reach and in such a way the load is fast and smooth.

Where this setup gets tough is with a bunch of birds around. The one you're shooting at moves behind the object and the other bust you.

I keep a small section of foam sleeping pad with me to kneel upon. A small section rolled into a 4"-6" solid tube placed between your foot and the ground supports the ankle and makes it much easier to kneel for a while.

Offline Bossman

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »
After 41 years of fanatical turkey bowhunting here is the best advise I can give you.  Get an Assassin umbrella style blind, they mount on your bow in seconds and will not affect accuracy.    Sit on a collapsible stool, this allows you to comfortably sit back against the tree and you legs will not fall asleep. Use a standard bow hanger so the bow and blind hang in front of you.   Put your decoys 20 yards out.   Use a broadhead that you can shoot accurately over distance.   Know and understand shot placement! Hunt like you were shotgunning.  Use your hunting kills to get on a bird and call him in.  When he nears the decoys draw your bow and with a well placed arrow you will have a trophy you will not forget!  you will hear a ton of other advise and yes a lot of them work but the best opportunity for you to be consistently successful is written above.  Good luck!

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
Slow and steady wins the race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline DavePwns

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 07:30:58 PM »
After 41 years of fanatical turkey bowhunting here is the best advise I can give you.  Get an Assassin umbrella style blind, they mount on your bow in seconds and will not affect accuracy.    Sit on a collapsible stool, this allows you to comfortably sit back against the tree and you legs will not fall asleep. Use a standard bow hanger so the bow and blind hang in front of you.   Put your decoys 20 yards out.   Use a broadhead that you can shoot accurately over distance.   Know and understand shot placement! Hunt like you were shotgunning.  Use your hunting kills to get on a bird and call him in.  When he nears the decoys draw your bow and with a well placed arrow you will have a trophy you will not forget!  you will hear a ton of other advise and yes a lot of them work but the best opportunity for you to be consistently successful is written above.  Good luck!
I have never seen an umbrella blind that's pretty cool!

Offline Bossman

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »