turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2019 Turkey Shotguns

Started by MS Boy, December 15, 2018, 10:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TURKEY MASTER

Got mine right after season last year Browning maxus all purpose a-tacs foliage green. can't wait to set it up.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Turkeytider on December 18, 2018, 03:04:39 PM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on December 16, 2018, 02:40:09 PM
I'm interested in Remingtons new V3 turkey pro.  It's supposed to come out next month.  Already has a rail, 22" barrel, oversized controls and a lifetime warranty.  I've shot my buddy's 26" V3 and was impressed with it.

Next would be a Beretta 350 turkey gun.  It too has a rail and can shoot 3.5" if you want.  I think it's 24" barrel.

I have 870's in 20 and 12, Benellis, Berettas and a Browning, but the V3 really interests me.

And well you should be with the V3. Particularly at it`s price point, the V3`s one of, if not the, best guns going IMO. My walnut has been flawless. It should be a great system as a dedicated turkey gun, particularly so with the included optics.

I like the V3s but turkey barrels are getting way too short. 24-26inches is just as easy to lug around and swing to shoot a turkey. People forget how much velocity you are losing with such short barrels. I am trying to find the article but it showed such a significant velocity drop with a 22inch barrel versus a 26inch barrel that to retain the same energy, you needed to go to a larger pellet. So for example, lets say you are shooting #5 lead at 40 yards, well to get the same down range energy with a shorter barrel you would now need to go with #4s. Just my two cents.

CrustyRusty

I think that topic has been discussed on Shotgunworld.  I will try to find it and you can look if you like.  I am curious to see the results but don't believe there is as much loss as expected. 

Happy

To me my 835 is perfect. I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it, it is dependable and pretty tough. I am not gentle on any of my hunting guns. I don't care about looks or status. Just want a gun that shoots well and takes a beating. To each their own though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Buckman18

Quote from: Buckman18 on December 25, 2018, 01:43:46 PM
Well, Santa brought it. Also got a Kicks GT .660 to go with it. Let the good times begin.

My father is a machinist. He drilled and tapped the barrel for a scope, and he made the base for me (custom made by Buckman Deddy Customs :) ) I've gotta get a higher set of rings, then I'll mount a Simmons 4x32 shotgun scope. Also installed the hammer extension and sling.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Buckman18 on January 17, 2019, 09:38:37 PM
Quote from: Buckman18 on December 25, 2018, 01:43:46 PM
Well, Santa brought it. Also got a Kicks GT .660 to go with it. Let the good times begin.

My father is a machinist. He drilled and tapped the barrel for a scope, and he made the base for me (custom made by Buckman Deddy Customs :) ) I've gotta get a higher set of rings, then I'll mount a Simmons 4x32 shotgun scope. Also installed the hammer extension and sling.

I would think 4×32 would be way to much scope. Using scopes on shotguns hunting Turkey's and Deer for years I rarely ever take mine off 1x. Suit yourself though.

Buckman18

Got the scope mounted, now it's ready to paint:

It was very windy and a terrible day to pattern. I'll get it just right on a better day. Nevertheless, got 230 #6 Longbeards in 10 at 40, and 179 #5 Longbeards. Which one would be your choice?

Gobble!

Spurs Up

Either will do well. Center of pattern of both appear left of center to me.

Takeaim1st

I agree with Phillipshunt. If I wanted a new Turkey gun I would try to find a Remington 870 Wing master 20 gage with magnum chamber.  Easy to carry and, with today's cartridges, more than enough power and range. Great quality and if you look far and wide enough also at a great price.

knightrider

Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 16, 2018, 03:31:06 PM
Quote from: MS Boy on December 16, 2018, 10:10:49 AM
Looking for a newer gun than 15-20 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suit yourself but plastic and pistol grips don't kill Gobblers.
::) a bunch of dead gobblers would disagree

Bigeclipse

Quote from: MS Boy on December 15, 2018, 10:33:20 PM
So if you could get any shotgun you wanted and price didn't matter for turkey hunting for the 2019 season which shotgun would you buy ?

This is a no brainer Benelli SBE 3. The base gun is 1700$ and they have custom ones in the 2000-2700$ range. My father-in-law has 2 and bar none they are the best shotguns out there. Excellent craftsmanship. Perfectly balanced. Shoot 2 3/4 all the way to 3.5s with out cycling issue unless you are using super super light loads in 2 3/4. Most brands cant do that. They pattern amazing and come with 5 chokes. Now, you said if money was no object. Personally, I would never buy one of these because there are many other great guns out there for MUCH less but if you want the best, those are the best.

MS Boy

I bought a Benelli Rob Roberts addition for turkeys.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: CrustyRusty on January 03, 2019, 03:46:14 PM
I think that topic has been discussed on Shotgunworld.  I will try to find it and you can look if you like.  I am curious to see the results but don't believe there is as much loss as expected.
I read that article and many others on the topic including watched some videos. Almost all studies showed very little difference in speed going from 28 down to 24in barrels. I think from memory it was around 50fps. But it started significantly dropping after that. 19inch barrel showed like a 200fps loss. That would make a marginal penetrating round a very bad round. There was one video where a guy literally would cut his barrel down inch by inch showing velocity with the same round. After all the research I did, it proved anything shorter than 24inch and you start losing more than you gain unless you only shoot to 30 yards, especially if you are using mild loads. I mean come on, how often has a longer barreled shotgun really impacted your hunt? (maybe out of a blind). I have hunted with a 28inch shotgun down to my father's custom SBE with a 22in barrel and not once did I find myself in a situation where having a short barrel would have helped. Just my two cents.

Jstocks

I think I'd go with a 20 gauge Ithaca Turkeyslayer.

Well made, made in USA!