turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questions to ask biologists when planning a trip

Started by Delmar ODonnell, February 27, 2019, 12:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmar ODonnell

Hello all, I'm relatively new to OldGobbler but I've really enjoyed reading and learning from fellow hunters.

I'm currently planning a trip to hunt the last three weeks of May and plan on hitting at least 3 different states. I plan on camping so I can be extremely mobile. I was thinking of hunting Kansas, Nebraska, and the Black Hills in South Dakota. With so much public land, I want to call biologists in the area and ask questions that will give me a general understanding of the turkey population, but also some information that might help give me a general starting point to hunt.

I am not exactly sure what all I need to ask that will help me. I know I should ask things like recent burns in the area, or water sources in dryer places out West, but what are some better questions I could ask that would help me have a general starting point on an area to hunt?

Bolandstrutters

I've found google earth and OnX to be way more useful than biologist. 

ddturkeyhunter

Don't know if this is a question to ask them or not but could be. Ask if there is a lot or any other atv, dirt bikes, or recreational travel in the area. Never hunted Kansas or Nebraska, but hunt SD black Hills every year. SD has changed a lot in last ten years as to allowing recreational driving behind closed gates. The area I hunt if its a nice sunny weekend forget being set up on any little forest trail. Gets a lot better on weekdays but still see some, but the weekend is still two lost days. Funny story one year I was set up on a game trail on top of this ridge. I was about two mile in out in the middle of no where, and I can hear this dirt bike (motorcycle) coming. He going cross country throught the woods, and I knew when he got to this one spot he needed to go ether east or west. Well he picked east and came up the hill on top of the ridge and proceeded down my game trail. He came to a skidding stop right along side my single hen decoy, I was twenty yards away tucked under this pine tree. He turns off his bike takes off his helmet and looks at the decoy. Then all of a sudden he starts spinning on his seat looking up into the trees in every direction looking for a hunter. Seeing no one he bends over and was going to grab my decoy, when I let out a yell. :wave: The look on his face made my hunt for the day. I didn't shoot a turkey that day, but sure fooled one big one.
So keep in mind about other users. Good luck

LaLongbeard

I just spoke to a Biologist in an area Ill be hunting this Spring. I first bought a topo map of the area and familiarized myself with it. Then I called, this is what I asked

Population in the area, are the birds clustered in certain areas or evenly distributed?
Recent hatches(last two years)
I found a lot of clearings on google earth in the area I plan to hunt and asked are these planted or just clearings?
Control burns in area
Number one question Are the trails  off the main roads gated? This is the one that makes my mind up about going there or not. If every mouth breather with a 4x4 or four wheeler can drive all over the area I'm not wasting my time. I can stay in Louisiana and get all that I want. 
Some Biologists are more helpful than others and it won't take long to know which ones also hunt in the area. Don't expect to get specifics but the questions I ask are part of there job and they usually don't have a problem. Don't wast your time on asking about hunting pressure the non hunters will say none because they don't know. And the hunters will tell you it's a mad house.
That's my opinion for what it's worth
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

ShootingABN!

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 27, 2019, 12:35:36 PM
I just spoke to a Biologist in an area Ill be hunting this Spring. I first bought a topo map of the area and familiarized myself with it. Then I called, this is what I asked

Population in the area, are the birds clustered in certain areas or evenly distributed?
I found a lot of clearings on google earth in the area I plan to hunt and asked are these planted or just clearings?
Control burns in area
Number one question Are the trails  off the main roads gated? This is the one that makes my mind up about going there or not. If every mouth breather with a 4x4 or four wheeler can drive all over the area I'm not wasting my time. I can stay in Louisiana and get all that I want. 
Some Biologists are more helpful than others and it won't take long to know which ones also hunt in the area. Don't expect to get specifics but the questions I ask are part of there job and they usually don't have a problem. Don't wast your time on asking about hunting pressure the non hunters will say none because they don't know. And the hunters will tell you it's a mad house.

That's solid advise. Thanks for sharing that. ;)

Ctrize

Ask about the weather an early hunt in Nebraska  or South Dakota can cause lost hunt days and stop the birds from breaking up flocks. I was told to come after May 1st by a biologist but got so excited about hunting the opener went anyway and lost days. I also hit Nebraska on public for the early  bowhunt :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an season and the birds were still in winter flocks on private. Biologist have been good to me ,ask if there are any new areas open to hunting. Maybe call the local CO and talk to them. Also might ask if there is any kind of poaching problem.

Gooserbat

OnXmaps is your new best friend along with Google maps.  I don't rely on biologist much anymore but if I do.  I'll have done my long range scouting and ask specific questions about specific locations.  General questions get general answers.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeyslayer7

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 27, 2019, 12:35:36 PM

Control burns in area

Damn good advice. Not so hard huh lol. Sorry like giving you a hard time since you are from Louisiana as I am also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

One of the most important things you can do is have maps that show land status and road systems.  After that, allot enough time for your hunt to burn at least one day learning the country and evaluating things based on habitat and access.  Always be "out there" at prime gobbling times at first and last light,...and if you are a locator call user, use a good one and cover lots of country to locate as many birds as you can.

Delmar ODonnell

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely plan on looking at OnX religiously the next few months before I go. I hunted around Chadron in the Pine Ridge last year and could not have done without it. I can definitely see how some biologists will be more helpful than others, whether they try to or not.

Last year I walked into the field office in Northwest Nebraska and the biologist, nice as could be, pointed to 3-4 spots on the map where he had seen turkeys before the season started. While I certainly appreciated his hospitality and help, it was the last week of season and I couldn't help but wonder how many other people he had told the exact same thing.

I found the best help I got was from fellow hunters at the diner in town, especially when they were finishing their hunt and leaving for home. I even got a couple pin drops on turkeys. Hunters are a lot more willing to share once they aren't in the game themselves.

GregN

As stated above, the CO for the area u wish to hunt may hv better info to share as they are out in the field more often than biologists. Just hv to get a bit lucky and find one willing to share info.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

bigbird

I haven't been able to find any information on google maps or on X maps about hatches or how harsh recent winters were. I'd say talk to whoever you want. Any local CO or biologist can tell you what the he maps won't.