OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Getting excited for 2019 Spring turkey season-Bowhunting  (Read 6077 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Getting excited for 2019 Spring turkey season-Bowhunting
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »
here are a few i have got over the years....
I have a few more birds on the wall,I do not have pics of them,some are at my camp and the others I have never taken a picture of them.I was never really a big picture guy but the last few years I have started to take more,more with my dad as he is getting older and has had health issues.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 10:26:32 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »
nice,how do you like your tactacam?i may purchase one this winter to try out.
Tactacam is a fun camera to use. I like the app so you can dial in your setup easily. For ground blinds the camera needs to be mounted near the rest.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 08:52:41 PM »
Tactacam is a fun camera to use. I like the app so you can dial in your setup easily. For ground blinds the camera needs to be mounted near the rest.

how do you like your carbon element?is it a 2012 or 2013?

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »

It's easy to shoot but the cams/draw cycle is terrible. I shoot 50lb draw so it's very manageable. I bought it when they first cam out,don't remember the year. But I shoot it lights out so I'm good to go.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »

It's easy to shoot but the cams/draw cycle is terrible. I shoot 50lb draw so it's very manageable. I bought it when they first cam out,don't remember the year. But I shoot it lights out so I'm good to go.

I am working on one,a 2012 right now.The guy I am dealing with has been somebody who I buy a bow from every few years as he is a fellow lefty,I almost bought it last summer but he decided to keep it for a backup but we have been chatting the last few weeks and I may have convinced him to part with it.I want it for late season up here when it's -25 and -30 for whitetails.I will know by monday,I shot the crx 32 and that was the last hoyt I owned.I also like that it is lightweight for hiking around in moose country.

It would also be a great turkey hunting bow as I like to do a lot of walking as well and have a ton of private land to hunt,my own and multiple pieces owned by friends and family.50-55 lbs is the perfect dw for bird hunting bow imo.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
It did not work out for the element,I picked up two packs of grim reaper razorcuts tonight for turkey hunting as well.I am pretty sure I am done buying turkey hunting broadheads but I may still pick up a pack or two of a few I am interested in before next spring if they go on sale.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
I received my hammerheads and ordered 2 packs of spitfires 1 1/2" this morning,I am now set for turkey hunting the next few years for broadheads.It is now time to decide which bows to set up for strictly bird hunting this spring.I fletched up some more arrows last night and will be using them from at least one of my setups.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
Picked up some Spitfire double cross last night. Seen on FB today that Swat has a new 4 blade coming out. Opens over top with .036 blades. Like my old 4 blade hammer heads.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
Picked up some Spitfire double cross last night. Seen on FB today that Swat has a new 4 blade coming out. Opens over top with .036 blades. Like my old 4 blade hammer heads.

I assume they are being released at the ata,I am getting excited for the new equipment and broadheads.I am pretty sure I am picking up a new hunting bow this winter,33" ata,340 ibo.I am just holding off until the new year as my turkey season opens last week of april and bear season the 1st day of may.I am a limb stop binary cam guy now.The doublecross looks like it was built for turkey hunting,If they go on sale I will buy some.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
I had some of the items arrive the last few days,I am still waiting on a few packs of spitfires,the practice head and a pack of reapers.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 10:30:38 PM by The Heartbreak Kid....... »

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 08:54:35 PM »
^^^
Nice

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »
It was nice for most items to arrive in a two day span,I made a trade and picked up an e35,65 lbs black riser/camo limbs and sent the htx down the road,I prefer binary cams and limb stops.I am now pretty set of bows and broadheads for the future but may turn my intentions to setting up a bow for bullheads as well,I had the whole 125 gr with arrows and a extra pack of broadheads but sold them last summer when i decided to go all mechanicals this year.I am getting an idea to set up a bow with bullheads as well,I have the equipment and do like them,we will see.I am having a hard time getting pictures up,some will work and some say "error" to big?

Have any of you shot birds with the vpa turkey spurs?i have a pack of the 125 gr and they shoot great but I never used them last spring.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2018, 05:23:35 PM »
I ordered a pack of the 125 gr bullheads and will build the .300 spine arrows for them,as I have some 2317's(.300) and want to try them out this spring.I will be wrapping the arrows and using a 4" feather, 4 fletch.I plan on ordering some custom turkey wraps from onestringer shortly.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »
I have two packs of the nap gobbler getters on the way,I think I am setting up two bows for turkey hunting this spring,One already has been a turkey hunting bow but I am going to set two up and leave them for turkey hunting only,one with bullheads and one with mechanicals.  I will be starting to research for a blind in the new year and may pick up a few mouth calls but I think my broadhead shopping is definitely done for the winter,lots to use for the next 4-5 years.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 07:54:32 AM »
If you want to see how good you are. Try it without a blind and a flock of decoys.  They will humble you real fast.
Don't gobble at me...