OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Getting excited for 2019 Spring turkey season-Bowhunting

Started by RED NECK, December 06, 2018, 08:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Rage I do not like. Relatively often you start to shoot and a blade is hanging. Most guys I know have this problem. A few friends swear by em but have "certain" quivers they use. I use a hip quiver. If something else is needed they ought to give it to you. Grim reaper I tried as well. They broke very easily even when just one tied down practice shot was taken to check the head.
Not saying neither would work they're just problematic. I don't go in the woods for problems.
Nap I like. I've prob killed near 60-70 deer with their fixed blade thunderheads.
Had friends have heads not open. One was a rage  Not sure how but after a long track job it layed dead w a tiny hole in it. Looked like a field point hit it.
Not cursing any head. To each his own. I've shot em w fixed, mechanicals and glue ons w traditional gear.

RED NECK

Sounds like human error not setting the broadhead up properly,I guess it can happen.I have tons of broadheads that I use on different hunts but for turkey hunting after killing a few with a tiny fixed head,the mechanical broadhead is a much better choice.The bullheads are fun as well.

From my experience in life,work and hunting almost 35 years including 26 with a bow is that people tend to blame equipment for their mistakes.I see it everyday,or should I say listen to it.And,I have been known to blame my equipment when I screw up as well,It really is just human nature to make excuses.I do agree that everybody should have and make their own choices,I choose to set multiple bows up with different setups.

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

I finished paper tuning and setting up my new turkey set up this afternoon,I have it setup with a spot hogg tommy hogg with a 3 pin head-20-30-40,nap apache drop away,xx75 2219 and a 15" b stinger custom stabilizer.I will be dialing it it tomorrow and hunting with it late season for whitetail and this upcoming spring for bear and turkey season.

Mathews Htx no cam-28",65 lbs.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on December 07, 2018, 01:48:33 PM
I spoke with my dsd decoy dealer today and the plan is to get in touch with him mid january and go from there,if he can't get the flock in for me,I will take a 4 hr drive in march and pick them up.Time to figure out which two bows I will use for strictly bird hunting this spring.

I also am just waiting for the blind I want to go on sale,as I know for a fact it goes on sale three times before the start of april.That was my job for years, to order and get the products in store and ready for the sales.

-23 here today or I would be in the stand with the bow chasing a whitetail.I guess it is time to shop for more big cutting mechanicals for turkey season.

Here's my spring set :)

and my KILLER DSD White Headed Strutter I designed back in 2012!! (The Original "BIG PUFFY" was back in 1999 before DSD was available)

MK M GOBL

RED NECK

Quote from: Bowguy on December 07, 2018, 08:21:50 PM
Just saw your signature. Hope some ribbing don't get ya. Mathews and Rage perfect together. Marketers dream! 
All in fun brother. Least you're not using a crossgun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am currently running these bows for hunting...and this is only 2nd mathews I have owned out of the 100+ bows the last decade.

-Mathews Htx
-New Breed Blade
-Strother Rush Xt (x2)
-Strother Wrath Sho(x2)

I have more than enough different fixed broadhead setups to make all you smile,as for the crossgun slogan,that's about as juvenile as bashing a broadhead for a slob shot or not setting it up properly.....brudda.....

RED NECK

Quote from: MK M GOBL on December 07, 2018, 08:23:41 PM
I spoke with my dsd decoy dealer today and the plan is to get in touch with him mid january and go from there,if he can't get the flock in for me,I will take a 4 hr drive in march and pick them up.Time to figure out which two bows I will use for strictly bird hunting this spring.

I also am just waiting for the blind I want to go on sale,as I know for a fact it goes on sale three times before the start of april.That was my job for years, to order and get the products in store and ready for the sales.

-23 here today or I would be in the stand with the bow chasing a whitetail.I guess it is time to shop for more big cutting mechanicals for turkey season.

Here's my spring set :)

and my KILLER DSD White Headed Strutter I designed back in 2012!! (The Original "BIG PUFFY" was back in 1999 before DSD was available)

MK M GOBL
The paint job looks excellent,I have been running a few different primos gobblers and knight n hales tom,along with a dozen different jakes and hens.I purchased a handful of the flextones and really like there dekes for the price but am going with the dsd flock going forward.

What are you planning on using for a bow setup this spring?

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

As in actual bow? or how I set for spring hunt?

MK M GOBL

RED NECK

Quote from: MK M GOBL on December 07, 2018, 08:51:18 PM

As in actual bow? or how I set for spring hunt?

MK M GOBL
Bow setup,I change my deke setup daily and for different birds.I assume you do the same?

MK M GOBL

I change my deke setup daily and for different birds.I assume you do the same?

Oh yeah, have even changed it up during a hunt by pulling or adding dekes to the set, I scout like crazy and learn my birds!

Looking to a new Mathews for spring! Buddy has the Helix and loves it, we use a few different heads (sounds like you too) just seems to come down to placement, all seem to do the job.

MK M GOBL

fallhnt

It's nice to see a few turkey bowhunters on this forum. I hunt them Fall Winter and Spring. I'm a public land guy who has to put some miles on and has ran into some blind shy birds. I use a ghost blind too now days and brush in my double bull at times. I found over the years that 3 blade Rage and 4 blade broadheads work best. I have a few Rocket Sidewinder 4 blades left but this year the Swat A4 mini will be in my quiver along with NAP 4 blade Spitfire double cross. I can get off 2,3and 4 bird kills in a setup using these broadheads so I stay away from head chopper type broadheads. I pack my blind and gear in a custom pack ,that I've been making for years. It holds ,blind,bow,and equipment. It gets heavy so I shoot a Hoyt carbon bow to help keep weight down. The blind also has a weight reducing  carbon frame from back in the day when Keith owned double bull. I have two blinds set up this way. It all adds up when you pack your gear for 1hr plus walks to your spot. I use Deception decoys but I also have a few stuffers. I pack my flock in a custom made bag that holds 3 hens. I enjoy hunting states that have archery only Spring seasons but I like Fall hunting best. It's real turkey hunting. I sold my camera gear and now just go with a Tactacam. My butt spends many hours in a Millennium ground blind chair,worth the money. I killed my best Fall longbeard this year and need to find 1 more bird before I get ramped up for Spring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

RED NECK

Quote from: fallhnt on December 08, 2018, 08:07:49 AM
It's nice to see a few turkey bowhunters on this forum. I hunt them Fall Winter and Spring. I'm a public land guy who has to put some miles on and has ran into some blind shy birds. I use a ghost blind too now days and brush in my double bull at times. I found over the years that 3 blade Rage and 4 blade broadheads work best. I have a few Rocket Sidewinder 4 blades left but this year the Swat A4 mini will be in my quiver along with NAP 4 blade Spitfire double cross. I can get off 2,3and 4 bird kills in a setup using these broadheads so I stay away from head chopper type broadheads. I pack my blind and gear in a custom pack ,that I've been making for years. It holds ,blind,bow,and equipment. It gets heavy so I shoot a Hoyt carbon bow to help keep weight down. The blind also has a weight reducing  carbon frame from back in the day when Keith owned double bull. I have two blinds set up this way. It all adds up when you pack your gear for 1hr plus walks to your spot. I use Deception decoys but I also have a few stuffers. I pack my flock in a custom made bag that holds 3 hens. I enjoy hunting states that have archery only Spring seasons but I like Fall hunting best. It's real turkey hunting. I sold my camera gear and now just go with a Tactacam. My butt spends many hours in a Millennium ground blind chair,worth the money. I killed my best Fall longbeard this year and need to find 1 more bird before I get ramped up for Spring.

I have been waiting for the nap doublecross to go on sale,seems like a perfect turkey broadhead.I have been using a hog blind to carry my blind,chair and dekes and really do like it.Your setup is killer,how do you like the bikes?I see they are becoming extremely popular for bowhunters the last few years.

fallhnt

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on December 08, 2018, 09:23:21 AM
Quote from: fallhnt on December 08, 2018, 08:07:49 AM

I have been waiting for the nap doublecross to go on sale,seems like a perfect turkey broadhead.I have been using a hog blind to carry my blind,chair and dekes and really do like it.Your setup is killer,how do you like the bikes?I see they are becoming extremely popular for bowhunters the last few years.
I'm an avid mtn biker so it's a natural fit. The cart is something I came up with,use it while bowfishing. There are better units in the market. Bigger wheels on the cart would be better. That was last Thanksgiving. Took out my second archery bird here in IL. I also use it in MO. I gunned two with one shot in honor of my turkey killing buddy who had passed a few years back. Man we shared a lot of great public land hunts over the years. He is dearly missed.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

RED NECK

nice,how do you like your tactacam?i may purchase one this winter to try out.

RED NECK

here are a few i have got over the years....