OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I need help with choke tube  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Jim K

I need help with choke tube
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »
I just bought a Franchi Affinity3 in 20 gauge. I want to shoot tss 7’s out of it. I would go with 9’s but not all states allow them yet.

I shot some patterns at 40&20 with full choke tube that came with the gun. The pattern at 40 was real good but at 20 was waaaay to tight for my taste. Kinda like a grapefruit.

I tried a shot at 40 with the modified choke but it was not good at all.

My full choke is .590 and mod is .609.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t want to shoot past 40 yds and most birds I shoot are well under that. Thanks for any help. Jim

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: I need help with choke tube
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »
Sounds like maybe you should try an improved modified.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline skimerhorn

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »
Gonna be really hard to get a good pattern at 20 and 40. May need to settle on the good pattern and use a red dot to help with the shot at 20?

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:42 PM »
If your not looking to stretch out, go back to HTL 7’s.  They tend to open up more than TSS.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:34:00 PM »
I'm guessing try something .595" - .600" AND get a red dot.

A call to William at SumToy wouldn't hurt, either...……...nice fellow to talk to and knows his crap.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline fountain2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 04:02:29 PM »
I'd like to see your pattern at 40 with the 7s
Most 20 chokes are in the 555-565 range which is a good bit tighter than your factory full.  You may be better served with going to a red dot sight.  My 20 wjths 9s has a fairly forgiving pattern at 20 with a fairly tight core at 40.  The 20s seem to be a bit more forgiving up close compared to a 12

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
grapefruit size pattern at 20 isn't really all that tight in my opinion. I'd stick with the full and go hunting.

Offline Jim K

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »
I really don’t want to go with a red dot if I don’t have to. If I shoot a bird at 20 yds with this choke dead center, the head will be gone. I appreciate the advise guys. I’ll have to think this over a bit. I believe I’ll call Trulock and talk to them. Thanks again, Jim

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 12:42:04 AM »
I'm shooting Trulock 565 out of my 20 gauge shooting Federal HW 7 and it's a great pattern 0-40 ... If your gun is shooting a grapefruit size hole at 20 yards , i see nothing wrong with that pattern , it just means most all shot will be in the head of the turkey , less shot in the rest of the turkey .. Don't worry if it takes the turkey head off , but you will be surprised the turkey head is pretty hard to take off ... good luck .. but i think your over thinking little to much....

Offline fountain2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »
I'm shooting Trulock 565 out of my 20 gauge shooting Federal HW 7 and it's a great pattern 0-40 ... If your gun is shooting a grapefruit size hole at 20 yards , i see nothing wrong with that pattern , it just means most all shot will be in the head of the turkey , less shot in the rest of the turkey .. Don't worry if it takes the turkey head off , but you will be surprised the turkey head is pretty hard to take off ... good luck .. but i think your over thinking little to much....

Last sentence is dead on.  I'm not saying it cant be done, but taking a head off with a 20 isnt as easily done as with a 12.  The pattern you have now sounds very nice.  Most any choke manufacturer you contact will reccomend and 555 on up to 580 depending upon the shot you decide to shoot.  The 20 fmyard patterns will remain about the same.  The 40 yard core will tighten up. 
I've shot one the thickness of a hay bale and didnt take his head off.   It blew a hole through him, but not off.   

Offline Jim K

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »
I talked to the owner of Trulock chokes today. He said shooting tss, I’ll never get what I want with any choke. He suggested Longbeard 6’s and a choke tube of .575. So I’m going to try that combo.

He said I can return the choke in 60 days and swap it for another or get a refund. Very nice man and you can’t beat that offer.

He also said I’m 1 out of 200. Most calls he gets are people wanting to know how far they can kill them with a certain choke. Lol

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
I talked to the owner of Trulock chokes today. He said shooting tss, I’ll never get what I want with any choke.

Yeah TSS #7s are going to be tight at 20 yards no matter what your shooting. If you could shoot #9s it would be different.

Offline chipper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 12:05:53 PM »
Carlson .585 to .575.