OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

An exotic tick which can transmit a virus that kills many is spreading rapidly i

Started by Sir-diealot, December 05, 2018, 07:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Quote from: bbcoach on December 07, 2018, 10:45:34 AM
I buy 10% permethrin by the pint or quart.  Mix 1 oz of permethrin with 20 ozs of water and soak everything I wear into the woods, let it dry and go hunt. 

This !!!

Enough permethrin concentrate at Tractor Supply to last for YEARS costs about the same as 1 bottle of Sawyer's.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on December 07, 2018, 12:21:53 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 07, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
I buy 10% permethrin by the pint or quart.  Mix 1 oz of permethrin with 20 ozs of water and soak everything I wear into the woods, let it dry and go hunt.  Spray your hat, head net, gloves, pants, shirt, boots and turkey vest, a day or two before the start of the season and enjoy a tick free season.  Permethrin will last several weeks.  When you wash your clothes just reapply sparingly.  Great stuff.  Yes Sawyers is Great as well but isn't as cost effective as buying a pint of 10% and mixing your own.  Both will be an effective .5% concentration.  If you buy the 10%, pass some on to your hunting buddies and utilize it in the outdoors all year long.  By the way, keep permethrin away from cats, it is a neurotoxin and is deadly.  Once it is dry, no problem.
If I go this way is there any worry about dogs?
No not at all.  Permethrin is the active ingredient in most dog dips.  It kills ticks and fleas and is used a lot to keep fleas and ticks at bay on dogs.  Most dog shampoos have permethrin in them as well.
Thanks, I would not want to do anything to hurt my little Misty.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 07, 2018, 07:08:13 PM
I buy 10% permethrin by the pint or quart.  Mix 1 oz of permethrin with 20 ozs of water and soak everything I wear into the woods, let it dry and go hunt. 

This !!!

Enough permethrin concentrate at Tractor Supply to last for YEARS costs about the same as 1 bottle of Sawyer's.
That's a good think to know, Lord knows I'm cheap!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

captpete

This is the stuff I use. A quart last a couple years for me doing both mine & wifes hunting and hiking clothes. When we go on vacation, I spray down our luggage with it, just in case the hotel we are staying in would have bedbugs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bbcoach

Martins is what I use as well.  Available in many places.  Ebay, Amazon, Tractor supply, Agri Supply and most local Farm or Garden shops.  Protect yourself, get some and use it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on December 08, 2018, 07:37:17 AM
This is the stuff I use. A quart last a couple years for me doing both mine & wifes hunting and hiking clothes. When we go on vacation, I spray down our luggage with it, just in case the hotel we are staying in would have bedbugs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This would be used to make the mix, correct? Also is it safe to use on blinds?

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on December 08, 2018, 11:17:37 AM
Martins is what I use as well.  Available in many places.  Ebay, Amazon, Tractor supply, Agri Supply and most local Farm or Garden shops.  Protect yourself, get some and use it.
I will look into it at Tractor Supply, I have a membership there to their Good Neighbors Club or whatever they call it. I buy a lot of clothes there too.

John Koenig:

bbcoach

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 08, 2018, 03:16:33 PM

I personally have never used it on blinds but some have without problems.  Martins from whoever you get it from is perfect.  Take the cap off the left side, fill up the measuring device which is 1 ounce, add 20 ounces of water in a spray bottle and enjoy a tick free life. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on December 08, 2018, 08:03:31 PM

I personally have never used it on blinds but some have without problems.  Martins from whoever you get it from is perfect.  Take the cap off the left side, fill up the measuring device which is 1 ounce, add 20 ounces of water in a spray bottle and enjoy a tick free life.

Okay, thanks.

John Koenig:

captpete

Yes...use this to make the mix. If I remember right, I mix 1 oz. of the concentrate with 19 oz of water....I would have to look at the label to be sure. It will work just fine on a blind. I use the mix on everything but my underwear and socks. Basically if it is made of cloth and I take it into the woods with me, it gets treated. I even spray down the DSD decoy bag to prevent hitchhikers from getting into the truck.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: captpete on December 09, 2018, 04:26:20 PM

Yes...use this to make the mix. If I remember right, I mix 1 oz. of the concentrate with 19 oz of water....I would have to look at the label to be sure. It will work just fine on a blind. I use the mix on everything but my underwear and socks. Basically if it is made of cloth and I take it into the woods with me, it gets treated. I even spray down the DSD decoy bag to prevent hitchhikers from getting into the truck.
Smart idea.

John Koenig:

Deputy 14

CALLM2U

I have traditionally just used Off but will switch this year.   As I understand it, permethrin  is technically a poison so I'm assuming you don't want this on your skin at all.  That creates a challenge when it's being sprayed on clothes you wear. 

How dangerous is this stuff and what precautions should be used?

I'm planning to take my 7 year old daughter this Spring so I don't want to expose her to anything hazardous if possible. 

Deputy 14

Quote from: CALLM2U on January 11, 2019, 03:05:46 PM
I have traditionally just used Off but will switch this year.   As I understand it, permethrin  is technically a poison so I'm assuming you don't want this on your skin at all.  That creates a challenge when it's being sprayed on clothes you wear. 

How dangerous is this stuff and what precautions should be used?

I'm planning to take my 7 year old daughter this Spring so I don't want to expose her to anything hazardous if possible.

Permethrin is a plant based chemical from the chrysanthemum plant the best I recall, it's not harmful enough to ever worry about considering the other option of dying from a tick bite.
From all I've read you apply liberally to clothing and allow it to dry completely and there is virtually no risk to it. I've not had any noticeable issue and i can base this off of yearly bloodwork I have to have done at work which tests for basically any and all kind of chemical exposures you could imagine. Only thing you have to watch is don't have it around felines, it will kill a housecat.

Greg Massey

Agree , spray down and go hunting .. They told my granddaddy if he didn't stop cooking with hog lard he was going to die a early death , he lived to a good old age 95 ....