OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

An exotic tick which can transmit a virus that kills many is spreading rapidly i

Started by Sir-diealot, December 05, 2018, 07:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Not good, I worry about ticks as it is because I have no spleen and get sick very easily.

Here is first part of it and then the link to the rest of the article

The CDC confirmed on Friday the Asian longhorned tick has been spotted in nine states including New York.

New Jersey was the first state to report the tick on a sheep in August 2017. Since then, Arkansas, Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia have reported finding the tick on a people, wildlife, domestic animals and in environmental samples, officials say.

"The problems are getting worse and worse," CDC Director of Division of Vector-Borne Diseases Lyle Petersen said according to the Washington Post. "We're losing this battle."

http://hudsonvalleypost.com/exotic-tick-which-spreads-deadly-disease-found-in-hudson-valley/?fbclid=IwAR1UStp5mAhx89wBTG49CsiaeJzf8phAKrArAkADRFm4r3rGHlGAPqAavIY
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bbcoach

Hopefully this tick doesn't care for permethrin as other ticks.  Keep your clothes sprayed often and go hunt!

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on December 06, 2018, 11:30:34 AM
Hopefully this tick doesn't care for permethrin as other ticks.  Keep your clothes sprayed often and go hunt!
I am going to have to learn how to use permethrin, I have never used anything but Backwoods Off. I also have to get a Thermacell before this Spring.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 06, 2018, 02:04:07 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on December 06, 2018, 11:30:34 AM
I am going to have to learn how to use permethrin, I have never used anything but Backwoods Off. I also have to get a Thermacell before this Spring.

Buy some Sawyers at Walmart. Spray your gear before the season hang to dry and spray again halfway through. I wear latex gloves when I spray just to keep it off my hands.

LaLongbeard

X2 the Sawyers. I mentioned this before but I had an old piece of Mossyoak fabric that I doubled over an had sewn together to make a piece about 3 foot square I soak it down with permithrin and when dry I keep it in a gallon ziploc bag. I throw it down before I sit, it also makes a dry place to lay pot calls etc. when the ground is wet. Very little chance a tick will crawl all over the cloth covered in permithrin to get to you. I never wash the cloth so the permithrin lasts longer and it weighs almost nothing and takes up little room in my vest.  I've hunted some tick infested areas without getting any on me by  treating clothes and the cloth.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

HookedonHooks

Another vote for "Sawyer" Permetherin big time. It's hands down the best available on the market, but is pretty toxic stuff so minimal skin contact is recommended.

In my experience, wearing Lacrosse rubber hip boots also have been a huge deterrent of ticks as well. I don't know if the rubber holds permetherin better or something, but they definitely have made a noticeable difference for me on the tick side. It also is good from keeping that tall, wet grass from soaking your pants, and it probably helps prevent ticks hopping onto them as well.

treein dixie

Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 06, 2018, 08:52:58 PM
X2 the Sawyers. I mentioned this before but I had an old piece of Mossyoak fabric that I doubled over an had sewn together to make a piece about 3 foot square I soak it down with permithrin and when dry I keep it in a gallon ziploc bag. I throw it down before I sit, it also makes a dry place to lay pot calls etc. when the ground is wet. Very little chance a tick will crawl all over the cloth covered in permithrin to get to you. I never wash the cloth so the permithrin lasts longer and it weighs almost nothing and takes up little room in my vest.  I've hunted some tick infested areas without getting any on me by  treating cloths and the cloth.

So how does this keep them off of you while walking?

LaLongbeard

Quote from: treein dixie on December 06, 2018, 10:11:02 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on December 06, 2018, 08:52:58 PM
X2 the Sawyers. I mentioned this before but I had an old piece of Mossyoak fabric that I doubled over an had sewn together to make a piece about 3 foot square I soak it down with permithrin and when dry I keep it in a gallon ziploc bag. I throw it down before I sit, it also makes a dry place to lay pot calls etc. when the ground is wet. Very little chance a tick will crawl all over the cloth covered in permithrin to get to you. I never wash the cloth so the permithrin lasts longer and it weighs almost nothing and takes up little room in my vest.  I've hunted some tick infested areas without getting any on me by  treating cloths and the cloth.

So how does this keep them off of you while walking?
I specifically said treat clothes and ground cloth. I use a higher concentration of permithrin on the cloth you can buy it from feed stores probably not safe to put it directly on clothes that touch your skin, as mentioned permithrin is a poison.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

treein dixie

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

bbcoach

I buy 10% permethrin by the pint or quart.  Mix 1 oz of permethrin with 20 ozs of water and soak everything I wear into the woods, let it dry and go hunt.  Spray your hat, head net, gloves, pants, shirt, boots and turkey vest, a day or two before the start of the season and enjoy a tick free season.  Permethrin will last several weeks.  When you wash your clothes just reapply sparingly.  Great stuff.  Yes Sawyers is Great as well but isn't as cost effective as buying a pint of 10% and mixing your own.  Both will be an effective .5% concentration.  If you buy the 10%, pass some on to your hunting buddies and utilize it in the outdoors all year long.  By the way, keep permethrin away from cats, it is a neurotoxin and is deadly.  Once it is dry, no problem.   

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bbcoach on December 07, 2018, 10:45:34 AM
I buy 10% permethrin by the pint or quart.  Mix 1 oz of permethrin with 20 ozs of water and soak everything I wear into the woods, let it dry and go hunt.  Spray your hat, head net, gloves, pants, shirt, boots and turkey vest, a day or two before the start of the season and enjoy a tick free season.  Permethrin will last several weeks.  When you wash your clothes just reapply sparingly.  Great stuff.  Yes Sawyers is Great as well but isn't as cost effective as buying a pint of 10% and mixing your own.  Both will be an effective .5% concentration.  If you buy the 10%, pass some on to your hunting buddies and utilize it in the outdoors all year long.  By the way, keep permethrin away from cats, it is a neurotoxin and is deadly.  Once it is dry, no problem.
If I go this way is there any worry about dogs?

John Koenig:

bbcoach

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 07, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
Quote from: bbcoach on December 07, 2018, 10:45:34 AM
If I go this way is there any worry about dogs?
No not at all.  Permethrin is the active ingredient in most dog dips.  It kills ticks and fleas and is used a lot to keep fleas and ticks at bay on dogs.  Most dog shampoos have permethrin in them as well.