OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help Picking a Choke for SBE2  (Read 1457 times)

rdjustham

Help Picking a Choke for SBE2
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
To be upfront and honest i have only been turkey hunting a few times and am now at a point in life to devote more time to it.  I just ordered an SBE2 with a 24" barrel and steady grip and waiting for it to arrive.

Ive read through i cant even count how many threads and looked at the patterning board photos.  Im torn between two chokes and would like assistance from those that have used both.  Either the Rob Roberts .655 (which from reading is as constricted as he makes), or the Sumtoy .650.  I plan to either shoot Hevi-13 #7 or #6 either 3 or 3.5 or the WLB depending on which patterns the best.  From the reading ive done those combinations seem to be the favorites, however seems like the majority have 26" guns.

So, for those that have, or have shot both id could use some help in making my decision.  RR .655 or Sumtoy .650.

Please keep it to the two listed, as one of them will ultimately get my $$$.

Thanks, and thanks for having me on OG.

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Help Picking a Choke for SBE2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
I can only vouch for the R.R choke , In my SBE2 with H-13 #6 or #7 it love's the R.R chokes. R.R will swap out a choke for another one if your not satisfied with the pattern. I do have a 20ga that loves's the Sumtoy choke and I will say there a great company also. I don't think you can go wrong with either company. My advice is to contact them and talk with someone directly they will be able to direct you to exactly what you need,  just an FWI about the Benelli SBE2's sometimes they don't shot POA to POI, so make 100% just your's is hitting where you aim if you plan on using the bead sight's. It didn't matter to me because I put a red dot sight on mine. 

rdjustham

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »
Thanks!  Already have a vortex venom on the way.  The more i read the moreI am semi concerned with the pattern being to tight with either the .650 or .655 at 25 ish yards.  I emailed both sumtoy and rr so we will see what they have to say. 

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »
I'm glad to see that you're considering either 3" or 3.5" Hevi shot. I shoot a 26" SBE II and the 3" Hevi shells pattern more consistently for me. I have a Sumtoy .650 choke that throws a devastating pattern, but like nyhunter said, don't count on beads lining up with your point of impact.  After I added a FastFire sight on a Speed Bead mount, it performs better than any other turkey gun I've ever shot.

I hope you find a great combination and get it shooting right. Good Luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

rdjustham

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
I'm glad to see that you're considering either 3" or 3.5" Hevi shot. I shoot a 26" SBE II and the 3" Hevi shells pattern more consistently for me. I have a Sumtoy .650 choke that throws a devastating pattern, but like nyhunter said, don't count on beads lining up with your point of impact.  After I added a FastFire sight on a Speed Bead mount, it performs better than any other turkey gun I've ever shot.

I hope you find a great combination and get it shooting right. Good Luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Jim

The thread you posted on the pattern forum is what got me to thinking that pattern is probably to tight for me being a beginner.  It is devastating for sure, whats it look like at say 20-30 yards?  I guess my main concern is it being to tight and missing the birds head.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
they going to be crazy tight at 20  Now you can open the choke up but that opens pattern up at 40.  Now think about it like our shirts say on back

"How dead you want it" 

you can kill him 150 dead 200 plum dead or 250 very dead. lol
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
Roberts makes a .650, or at least he did. I have a .655 in my SBE II (24" bbl.) from Roberts. It throws a good tight pattern.
That said, I'd recommend going with William at Sumtoy. You may have a less annoying experience and William is a master at what he does.

rdjustham

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 02:05:55 PM »
Roberts makes a .650, or at least he did. I have a .655 in my SBE II (24" bbl.) from Roberts. It throws a good tight pattern.
That said, I'd recommend going with William at Sumtoy. You may have a less annoying experience and William is a master at what he does.

Mind if i ask why William if you are happy with the RR?

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »
My SBE2 is a stone cold killer with a RR .650 and Federal 7s. My gun is somewhat of an exception also, it’s shot perfect POI since the day I took it out of the box.

Rob is a Benelli mastermind and I’ve never hung up the phone after talking to him or any of his staff and been even slightly “annoyed”. To each their own.

rdjustham

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I started looking at it from a different angle.  I want to shoot hev-13s and from re-reading the pattern boards seems everyone is extremly happy with .650, no complaints with either sumtoy or rr and since inly one of them offer the .650 (which with shipping was substantialy cheaper) i went with sumtoy.  Ill post pattern pics when it gets here!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »
I don’t wanna derail your thread but congrats to ya for starting your experimentation and research early.