OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Shopping  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Dukejb

Thanksgiving Shopping
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:22:36 PM »
This year we went to Rome, GA for Thanksgiving with my in-laws. Being only an hour away from Billy Buice and Lonnie Mabry, I couldn’t think of a more appropriate way to celebrate Turkey Day than by acquiring some new turkey calls. I went to see Mr. Mabry on Wednesday and left 5 hours later with some great memories, a cedar slate, a pecan crystal glass, 4 strikers (canary wood, tulip, bocote, and ipe) and a butternut/walnut scratch box with a chestnut striker. I also bought a Purple Heart/mahogany box for a friend who was quite thrilled with it today. Then on Friday I went to see Mr. Buice and got a 5.5” trumpet and the other 4 mouthpieces to go with my 6” Osage. I can’t recommend highly enough going to see these two gentlemen if you ever get the chance.

Then on the way back we saw something that I thought I would never see again: gas for under $2/gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Thanksgiving Shopping
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
Great looking pieces all of them. I really like the trumpets. I wish gas were that cheap in NY
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Clardh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
I’m sure you had a great time! Nice haul and good luck with them. I’m envious!

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »
I too have family in Rome. I make plans to stop by Mr. Mabrys when Im there also. Great calls and wonderful stories. Good luck with the killers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
I love seeing pictures of calls. Very nice looking stuff you got. What kind of wood is the 5.5” trumpet? Sorry If I missed it in the post but it is a neat looking wood.

Offline Dukejb

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 03:53:36 PM »
The 5.5” is desert ironwood. The pictures don’t begin to do it justice. He had some really cool woods, that were fun to see in person. One was 30,000 year old cypress that was dug from a sand pit over 100 feet deep.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
Love my 5.5” ironwood!

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »
Love my 5.5” ironwood!

I keep thinking I need to try one of his 5.5 trumpets. What is your guys thoughts of the shorter version? Most people say they like them but I have heard of a couple guys that didn’t care for them. I tend to really like wingbones and cane calls which are usually shorter than your standard trumpet, would it be a good match for me? Thanks for any input and sorry for high jacking I just thought it looked like a good spot to ask thanks again

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
Love my 5.5” ironwood!

I keep thinking I need to try one of his 5.5 trumpets. What is your guys thoughts of the shorter version? Most people say they like them but I have heard of a couple guys that didn’t care for them. I tend to really like wingbones and cane calls which are usually shorter than your standard trumpet, would it be a good match for me? Thanks for any input and sorry for high jacking I just thought it looked like a good spot to ask thanks again

Feel free to PM so we do not high jack the thread.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Dukejb

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »
I’m far from an expert on trumpets considering that there are my only two. The shorter one does seem to be a little higher pitched and a little faster playing. Both sound great.  I live in Colorado and hunt mostly merriams which supposedly have a little higher pitch, which is why I wanted a 5.5” trumpet. Having said that these merriams didn’t seem to have any issue with the 6” last year.  Any excuse to buy a trumpet from Mr. Buice is a good excuse though, especially if you get to do so in person.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
Congrats...Great bunch of calls and to buy them in person makes it even better...I hope those gas prices make it to Iowa..

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »
Nice decision. I live 20 minutes away from them and don't  get up there enough anymore. Lonnie talked your ears off, go ahead admit it.  Haha.  He's a good friend so I can say that.  Glad he finally busted into that butternut he's been stashing for years.  And seeing Mr Billy on the same trip was an even wiser decision.  A true legendary callmaker and master.  You did very well.  Congrats.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion