turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bubinga for a box call? Also question on 2 Lovett Williams books

Started by Sir-diealot, November 24, 2018, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I ran into a pair of boxcalls 2 weeks ago and one was made of Bubinga wood, I have never heard of it before and was wondering if it is any good? Question about the books is I have Lovett Williams books "The Book of the Wild Turkey" and "After the hunt" and can't decide which to read first. What would ya'll suggest and why? I also have "Wild Turkey Country" but that seems to be more if a coffee table book with some wonderful photos in it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

I have an all bubinga sawn/glued box call made by Joe Hall (Hally Caller) from eastern PA.  A heavy call.  But a great sounding call !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on November 25, 2018, 09:48:30 AM
I have an all bubinga sawn/glued box call made by Joe Hall (Hally Caller) from eastern PA.  A heavy call.  But a great sounding call !!!
Okay thank. I tried to post a picture but the data cord for my phone is not working right. Any opinion on the books?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Yoder409

Quote from: Sir-diealot on November 25, 2018, 10:51:43 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on November 25, 2018, 09:48:30 AM
Okay thank. I tried to post a picture but the data cord for my phone is not working right. Any opinion on the books?

No sir.

I, truthfully, have never read a turkey hunting book in my life.  Maybe someday if I retire...............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

What year was those books published ? The old books are fun to read , BUT .. turkey hunting has evolved and change so much over the years with better calls, equipment, guns, chokes and shells ... what you can do NOW is go hunting and experience nature at it's best , in other words you can't read it all in a books .... it's like make your on pages ....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on November 28, 2018, 08:29:43 AM
What year was those books published ? The old books are fun to read , BUT .. turkey hunting has evolved and change so much over the years with better calls, equipment, guns, chokes and shells ... what you can do NOW is go hunting and experience nature at it's best , in other words you can't read it all in a books .... it's like make your on pages ....

The Book of the Wild Turkey was published in 1981 (My copy anyway, not sure if that is another printing or not)
and After the Hunt was published in 1996 (Again mine could be a reprint, not sure)

I hold there are still a lot of things that can be learned in books, especially on the biology and history end of things which is what the first book is looking to be from the first fist chapter so far. Being out there of course can and will teach you different things and in a different way, both ways books and experience are great ways to learn things. The second book After the Hunt has a lot of things in it you are not going to learn by just being out there, it seems to have a lot of projects on what you can do with the bird "After the Hunt" like making calls, how to make projects with spurs, how to remove the tail feathers and beard properly and so on.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Instead of reading one book before the other , What i would suggest is you read a chapter in each book , until you finish them .... ha ha ha .... as you said nothing like reading a good book...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on November 28, 2018, 08:50:10 AM
Instead of reading one book before the other , What i would suggest is you read a chapter in each book , until you finish them .... ha ha ha .... as you said nothing like reading a good book...
I am currently reading a book called Poachers Caught, a predator magazine, couple other magazines, and decided to read The Book of the Wild Turkey first. I tend to bounce between books and magazines, common to do with people with ADD/ADHD Every now and again I will come upon something that will hold my attention and I will read just that book all the way through without reading anything else, but it does not happen often. Does that make me a multi-tasker? lol

John Koenig: