OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Need a striker  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Need a striker
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »
I have a scratch box that I got years ago before my car accident and it seems that through paying people to clean for me that one of them threw out the striker portion if I am using the correct term (Part with slate on it) I was wondering if anybody may have had a scratch box that got broken and no longer need the striker portion of it perhaps, long shot I know. I contacted the maker and they said I would have to buy a whole new call. Thanks for any help given.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:30:22 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
Re: Need a striker
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
That can be tricky because it's a guessing game trying to match a striker for it.  Some scratchboxes will only sound good with one type of wood.  It depends also on the soundboard material of your call.  Can you post a pic of the call?  Maybe I can help.
....and I laugh every time I see your username.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
I will try to tomorrow, I can't get to the box it is in tonight and will need my GF's help to get to it as there are a bunch of boxes full of books and non turkey related hunting stuff in the way. That and I hope she does not kill me for asking. :D Thank you for any help given.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:51:12 PM »
I have a scratch box that I got years ago before my car accident and it seems that through paying people to clean for me that one of them through out the striker portion if I am using the correct term (Part with slate on it) I was wondering if anybody may have had a scratch box get broken and no longer need the striker portion of it perhaps, long shot I know. I contacted the maker and they said I would have to buy a whole new call. Thanks for any help given.

Wow!! The callmaker told you that you would have to buy a whole new call?? Most callmakers that build scratchers have all kinds of strikers laying around their shop and would let you buy them. Oh well , good luck I’m sure you will be able to get one or 3 .
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:43:42 PM »
I have a scratch box that I got years ago before my car accident and it seems that through paying people to clean for me that one of them through out the striker portion if I am using the correct term (Part with slate on it) I was wondering if anybody may have had a scratch box get broken and no longer need the striker portion of it perhaps, long shot I know. I contacted the maker and they said I would have to buy a whole new call. Thanks for any help given.

Wow!! The callmaker told you that you would have to buy a whole new call?? Most callmakers that build scratchers have all kinds of strikers laying around their shop and would let you buy them. Oh well , good luck I’m sure you will be able to get one or 3 .
It was I think she said the makers daughter or grand daughter.

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:45:05 PM »
Found the call again and decided to post pics hoping maybe somebody might have a striker I could use. I wanted to try to get a hold of the maker again to see if talking to the maker directly might help but now I can't seem to find a number for them and one piece of information for them says Arcade NY and the other says Delevan, NY and I have had no luck finding either.

I really want to try to get a striker for it, it really is a wonderful sounding scratch box from what I remember. Oh it is called The Pocket Pro and it says it was made by a Skip Perry. This was bought way back in 98 so it is possible the maker has passed on.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 09:10:30 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
The only Skip Parry I knew made wing bones. He lived in the Buffalo area and last I knew he stopped building calls. Not to say that he never made a scratch box at some time. I think most call makers build them at some point.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:50:58 AM »
The only Skip Parry I knew made wing bones. He lived in the Buffalo area and last I knew he stopped building calls. Not to say that he never made a scratch box at some time. I think most call makers build them at some point.
I was talking with Tim Fralick from Tim Fralick Custom Calls (Another builder from NY) who built one of my other scratch boxes and he said the same thing. It was a long time ago but I may have bought both my wing bone and scratch box from him at the same NWTF convention that day so what you are saying would make sense. I wonder if he is still doing them on the side? I would hate to give this up being my first and it is such a pretty call.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:14:35 AM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

CMBOSTC

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »
Sending you a PM.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »
Replied

John Koenig: