turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

cold weather boots

Started by nyhunter, November 19, 2018, 04:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

looking for your suggestions and experience with boots you like for stand hunting cold weather. I love hunting long hours during the rut but this year has been brutal here in N.Y . 

Thank you for any suggestions or good/bad do's or don't . 

idratherb

I like a really good set up bibs and a pair of the cold weather muck boots. When I used to deer hunt I good sit for hours with that set up. I would always carry my stuff in and dress at the bottom of my tree. Worked for me.

Spring Creek Calls

I start out with LaCrosse Alphaburley 1000 gram and use toe warmers until it gets in the mid to low 20's. Then I go with the LaCrosse Iceman pack boots. I haven't broke out the Iceman's yet but wish I did a couple mornings. Hugely important to keep the tootsies warm.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Sir-diealot

Posted these earlier this year for a guy, I am in NY and my feet stay very warm in them most of the time which is saying a lot as my left foot had frostbite and is hard for me to keep warm. I have been wearing some Polar Extreme socks with them and they have not gotten cold when wearing those. Here is a link to them but they are out of stock but figured you might be able to find them elsewhere. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Thermal-Insulated-Boot-Socks/47095580 Edit: Oh I forgot to mention the boots are either 1000 gram or 1200 gram Thinsulate, I do not recall which.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bobk

Danner 800 gram leather boots until the temperature goes below 20°. Then I change to LaCrosse  Ice Man Pacs. They are heavy and large but warm in the extremely cold.

chadly

wvmntnhick

I've got an array of boots. I probably should state that my feet don't get cold as quick as others so keep that in mind.

-Cabela's zonez rubber boots
-Irish setter 1000 gram thinsulate (can't recall model)
-Rocky 1000 gram (dad just gave them to me Tuesday)
-Kennetrek Hardscrabble 400 gram I think
-Rocky 800 gram
-Muck Jobbers
-Lacrosse 800 gram

Most of these keep my feet to warm. I'd suggest good merino wool socks as a start. That'll help immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

I stand hunt almost exclusively. I wear pac boots and use Heat Max foot warmers...not their expensive, and less effective, toe or insole warmers.  If I don't use the foot warmers my feet will get cold after two to three hours. With the foot warmers I'm good to go for the day regardless of the temps as long as used in a pac boot. In my experience, unless you've got "super circulation" or are only on stand for short periods of time you have to use an external heat source like the Heat Max...regardless of the boot type.

jryser

Quote from: nyhunter on November 19, 2018, 04:43:40 PM
looking for your suggestions and experience with boots you like for stand hunting cold weather. I love hunting long hours during the rut but this year has been brutal here in N.Y . 

Thank you for any suggestions or good/bad do's or don't .
Muck Arctic with merino wool socks and a Thermacell warmer. The Thermacell is NOT hot - you will just notice ur feet are not cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracker#1

I've been testing (3 weeks) new Cabela's 2000 gram comfort tracks with success, so far ...wore in WNY, 4 degrees out, 9 inches of snow, Thanksgiving morning on stand with cabelas 70% wool socks. Had toe warmers on hand but didn't need them, I lasted for 6 hours, went home to eat the "bird"....they are $119. Blew a hole in my Lacrosse 1600's, loved those... When ever you by socks, read the fine print on % of wool. Cabela's and red head socks lifetime guarantee, more wool than "smart wool" socks. Cheaper too....