OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rob Roberts weatherby sa459

Started by Ahollon3, November 17, 2018, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahollon3

My gun averages bout 190 in 12" circle at 40 yards. But I was just wondering if Rob Roberts is worth it? Thought bout porting the barrel, lengthen forcing cone and trigger work

Fullfan

I have a sa459 in 20ga, it did very well with Fed #7 and a SumToy around 190 in the 10 at 40. Does even better with hand loaded tss #9's.
Don't gobble at me...

Ahollon3

I'm shooting longbeard xrs 3" 6 shot

BandedSpur

I'm sure that Rob Roberts does excellent work, but a simple change in ammunition to TSS 9s will outshoot anything Rob can do using any lead load for a whole lot less money.

SumToy

port holes goes in boats and 55 T-Birds.     what choke you run in it.   you may can make a choke change and pick up some. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Ahollon3

Jebs 650. I thought bout laying the longbeard xr down and going back to hevi shot as well.

davisd9

Would not spend that kind of money to shoot lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ahollon3

So what you're saying is why spend that much on a choke just to go cheap on shells?

davisd9

Quote from: Ahollon3 on November 19, 2018, 08:41:58 PM
So what you're saying is why spend that much on a choke just to go cheap on shells?

Yes, you are not going to get much better with all that work from that shell. Nothing wrong with shooting that shell but you are not going to get much more out of it. I buy cheap chokes and shoot premium shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

Quote from: Ahollon3 on November 19, 2018, 06:07:25 PM
Jebs 650. I thought bout laying the longbeard xr down and going back to hevi shot as well.

That is not bad.   Them guys have had luck with the smaller chokes but I would open up a little.  I would not spend a bunch on barrel work.   Them shells work well with just a choke.  Now TSS you will need a bigger choke.    Now if it was me I would shoot Winchester LB or TSS anything in the middle is throwing money away.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Ahollon3

I've never shot tss before. I used to shoot hevi shot years ago before xr lead shot came out . How does tss compare to hevi shot? Is it worth the extra cost?

Fullfan

There is no comparison when talking about TSS.  Over the years I have spent a fortune on shell/choke combo's,  all started with the Active 2 1/4 3' shell. Trust me I have spent a lot, every time I would find something that made me happy, it would be discontinued.  Like  the clear hulled hevi shot. 

Back to the TSS, I have never shot anything other than hand loads and tested several of the Apex. The patterns I am able to get with TSS nothing even comes close.  I am not a long range turkey hunter, but I know a guy who shot and killed a gobbler at 71 yds. The stuff is lethal.
Don't gobble at me...

CrustyRusty

The guy who shot a bird at 71 yards must be a very accomplished hunter to get one in so close.  ::)

Quote from: Fullfan on November 21, 2018, 08:34:44 AM

Back to the TSS, I have never shot anything other than hand loads and tested several of the Apex. The patterns I am able to get with TSS nothing even comes close.  I am not a long range turkey hunter, but I know a guy who shot and killed a gobbler at 71 yds. The stuff is lethal.

Fullfan

Quote from: CrustyRusty on November 21, 2018, 04:19:10 PM
The guy who shot a bird at 71 yards must be a very accomplished hunter to get one in so close.  ::)

Quote from: Fullfan on November 21, 2018, 08:34:44 AM

No he is not, he has no calling ability. Like many others he puts a decoy in a field and "waits". Not my kind of hunting. Last day of the season he had a long beard stroll by at 71 yds. And he shot and killed the bird. Not something I would be proud of, Just proving how lethal TSS in small shot can be. 
Don't gobble at me...

Uvagobbler

Save your money and skip the porting and forcing cone work. I wouldn't hesitate to stick with the combo you have, especially for lead. If you go the tss route, patterns will definitely improve but you will need to open the wallet. If money is tight, I would get a trigger job and call it good. If you want to go tss route, you have many options. Good luck.