OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Should I get a new gun?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Hutch12

Should I get a new gun?
« on: November 17, 2018, 04:22:32 AM »
Hey everybody! I was wondering if I should get a new gun. I currently have a berreta a300 outlander in the 28” model. Yes, I know it is long. I really like how this patterns with long bird XRs. The only thing is I am looking to put some type of red dot optic on top of it. The model I have doesn’t have a dove tail or anything so I would need to add some holes and a rail.

Should I just consider selling the gun for a cz reaper magnum or something like that or just find a way to put an optic on it?

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Should I get a new gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
Interesting dilemma! I almost always err to the side of new gun!!!????????. Do you plan for this to be a dedicated turkey gun? I would personally have a problem getting past the 28 " barrel. I've hunted turkey with a barrel that long and felt like I was carrying a telephone pole.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »
I’d look at the V3. A 26” will be a do all gun for you or if you want dedicated wait for new turkey pro model

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 06:24:58 PM »
I’d look at the V3. A 26” will be a do all gun for you or if you want dedicated wait for new turkey pro model

Have a walnut V3. More than happy to vouch for it. Fine gun, and while I have a dedicated turkey gun ( 870 Super Mag, 23 " barrel with a red dot ), I too am interested to see the new Turkey Pro. I`d be tempted to wait to check it out.

Offline firedup

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
No brainer. Any reason to buy a new gun is a GOOD reason! But a drill and tap is cheap and easy. Vent rib? They make em to mount right on. A red dot doesn't have to be back at your eye like a scope. Might even find a sidemount. Just change the pins. I fall hunted this year with a 30" SXS.  Like looking down a 4 lane highway! LOL!  Didn't bother the birds a bit...they flopped just like normal. A short barrel is VERY turkey hunter friendly. I like em a lot. PREFER THEM.  But not a REQUIREMENT to effectively shoot turkeys. JMO   

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 08:34:40 AM »
If the long barrel is fine for your hunting, you could get a Burris speedbead that fits between the stock and receiver, no drilling or tapping required. A fellow on here used one from either a 390/391 or a A400 that fit the a300. Try a search and should be able to find it. Beretta makes a 24" turkey model A300, and I believe they offer the barrel as an accessory separately if you want a shorter barrel. There are also canteliever rib mounts that attach to the rib and allow you to attach optics. One of my favorite turkey guns has a 28" barrel and I don't find it a hinderance in most hunting situations. A shorter barrel can be handy, but if you love hunting with your gun as is, then adding an optic can be a worthwhile addition.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »
If the long barrel is fine for your hunting, you could get a Burris speedbead that fits between the stock and receiver, no drilling or tapping required. A fellow on here used one from either a 390/391 or a A400 that fit the a300. Try a search and should be able to find it. Beretta makes a 24" turkey model A300, and I believe they offer the barrel as an accessory separately if you want a shorter barrel. There are also canteliever rib mounts that attach to the rib and allow you to attach optics. One of my favorite turkey guns has a 28" barrel and I don't find it a hinderance in most hunting situations. A shorter barrel can be handy, but if you love hunting with your gun as is, then adding an optic can be a worthwhile addition.

Absolutely agree. Hunt with what you're comfortable. Because we aim at turkeys, I became an optics convert . Shoot any load, you can adjust your POI to POA. Really helps your confidence with that 40 yard shot!

Offline diyj98

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
There's several options. You could have your receiver drilled and tapped, use the Burris speedbead other mentioned, or even pick up a short barrel and use a barrel mount. That way you could switch out barrels for hunting without the optics.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:05:42 AM »
I agree w the new gun guys. Life is too short to be gun poor. Keep the old one and buy another

Online nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
 :icon_thumright: YES!!!!!! never pass up the opportunity to buy a new gun!!!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 12:31:10 AM »
Here's a nice viable option for you. I put one on a friends gun a year ago and it's been great. Easy to mount and very secure...https://www.amazon.com/B-Square-Universal-Cantilever-Mount-Ribs-8-Inch/dp/B000VYPF2S

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
Hey everybody! I was wondering if I should get a new gun. I currently have a berreta a300 outlander in the 28” model. Yes, I know it is long. I really like how this patterns with long bird XRs. The only thing is I am looking to put some type of red dot optic on top of it. The model I have doesn’t have a dove tail or anything so I would need to add some holes and a rail.

Should I just consider selling the gun for a cz reaper magnum or something like that or just find a way to put an optic on it?
Here are a whole series of adapters made just for that purpose. http://www.truglo.com/accessories/adapters.asp  They work very well on Beretta shotguns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."