OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey vest question

Started by turkeykiller22, November 05, 2018, 08:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Would you rather have a vest that has a lot of pockets or one that has too few? How do you make the decision on what is too many packets? One example would be the Knight and Hale RNG 200 vs Tactical Tat'r 2.
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

NC pine chicken

I like my tat'r and all it's pockets. I'd rather have more than I need than not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Jeremy

I got the RNG 300 before last year, and I love it. It has just a little more room to put stuff than the 200, but isn't much bulkier at all. I've tried several, and I have found that I like this one the best of them all. There are other reasons that I like it the most, but as to the point of this post, it carries all of the stuff that I need it to, and doesn't weigh me down too much. I carry 3-4 pots, 5 strikers, one box call, locator calls, 5-6 mouth calls, thermacell, pruning shears, extra gloves and facemask, portable phone charger, water, poncho, TP, snacks, shells, scale/tape measure/tote combo, etc...way more than I need.

I carry just as much stuff as I used to in my vest, except for a decoy...started using a bag to carry decoys in before I went to this vest anyway, though.

turkeykiller22

How do you like how the seat attaches to the RNG-300?
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Happy

Less. It seems that for most people the more pockets they have then te more they feel they need to carry. I used to be that way. Now I carry more food and water than  turkey calls. Still love a good vest but it don't take to much equipment to kill a turkey.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

LaLongbeard

I modified my vest with specific pockets for each item thermocell,boxcall,strikers etc. Most vests are just a bunch of pockets with no purpose. Example I moved my boxcall pocket on the outside of vest at the side out of the way and makes no noise, a lot of vests have the boxcall across the front were it is sure to make noise and get in the way. Same for strikers I want them outside the vest in a pocket easy to access not inside the vest were I have to reach inside to get a striker. I also did away with all plastic buckles and zippers added all buttons with flaps for silent use. If you filled every pocket in most vests you'd have 30 pounds of junk to carry. You can buy whatever style vest you like and easily have someone that sews modify it to your specific needs.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sir-diealot

My GF bought me the RNG 300 on sale last month. From what I can see so far the only 2 things I do not like is that neither my long box nor my hen box will fit in the slot provided for a box call and that the part were you put your pot calls are not covered, I worry about them falling out. I believe as in most things it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Go for more pockets.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

3bailey3

I will be carrying Ms. Green 's satchel this coming season! I hope it works out, thinking it will.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on November 05, 2018, 09:59:12 AM
How do you like how the seat attaches to the RNG-300?
That's likely my favorite thing about the vest. I found myself generally leaving it in the "deployed" mode. It doesn't sag down and hit the back of your legs, but is there, and ready, should you have to sit at the sound of a gobble. The seat is as comfortable as any other I've tried. Not more comfortable than my last vest, but certainly equal. It's design sends it over the top for me, though.

As for what sir-diealot said regarding the pot call holders, I was a bit concerned at first also. I had zero trouble with them whatsoever, though. Before I took it in the woods I put some cheap box brand pots in there, held the vest upside down and shook it pretty good. They stayed put. After hunting it, I loved the location, and outside access the pots. I carry two in the provided pot pockets, and two more in can koozies in the zipper pockets. Zippers are quiet, as well. The only downside I can see to them being more exposed is that they are more susceptible to weather. Of course, if it's raining, or expected to, I leave everything but a mouth call in the truck, so it hasn't effected me.

As with all things, to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bolandstrutters

I'm waiting to see what comes out next spring, but I'm leaning towards trying out one of the knight and hale vest.  From the pictures they don't look like much, but after I found one to try on, I really like it.  I tend to keep a couple different options as far as vest go.  One for comfort and one for speed and mobility. 

Brad_Colvin

The amount of pockets isn't as important to me as how the pockets are laid out. I've tried numerous different vests as well as going vestless. The vests that I've used that have many pockets tend to make me try to fill them all up with stuff that I don't hardly use. I have a medical condition that I was born with that requires me to drink extreme amounts of water daily. I drink over 2 gallons a day,so before hydration bladders became popular I needed more and bigger pockets just to tote water. I just got the r n g 300 vest and my initial impression is it's going to suit me really well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

davisd9

My perfect vest (sure I am forgetting something):
- 2 short box pockets
- mesh pockets inside pocket that fit 2 trumpets (see Ol Tom Ibeam)
- 2 pot call holders, 5 striker pockets, thermocell pocket, water bottle pocket
- place for conditioning items
- inside shell loops
- pocket for face mask and gloves
- waterproof pocket for maps and tags
- small place for binos/rangefinder
- 2 mesh mouth call pockets
- bi-section game bag
- place for crow call
- a few small multipurpose pockets
- strap style vest
- good back pad that covers shoulders, spine, and lower back
- a great, comfortable seat that can be taken off that has magnet for quick attachment and snap for securing it
- Camo pattern that matches shadows and not lots of green (bottomland, greenleaf, treestand, break up, timber, true timber new
  conceal.

If something else comes to mind I will add it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Glenda Green

Quote from: 3bailey3 on November 06, 2018, 07:18:23 PM
I will be carrying Ms. Green 's satchel this coming season! I hope it works out, thinking it will.
I sure hope it works out well for you too

Saving the life of one dog will not change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Glenda Green on November 15, 2018, 09:10:11 PM
Quote from: 3bailey3 on November 06, 2018, 07:18:23 PM
I sure hope it works out well for you too

My vest stays at home since I started using mine last spring..Great item...Well made..

YELPA

I use a RNG 200 that I customized by adding a water bottle holder and utility bag to either side using the MOLLE attachments.  Also, took the speed seat off my Tat'r 2 and put it on the RNG 200.  Added a couple tactical patches to further personalize it.  The picture of mine is in a prior thread from this past Spring concerning this topic.  I am pleased with it.