turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning A5 3.5” with Burris FF3

Started by henro, March 05, 2019, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henro

I just got my Sumtoy sight base for my Browning A5 so I could finally shoot with a sight on the gun for turkeys. I had the receiver drilled and tapped and the sight mounted. This is a 3 MOA FF3 and it was perfect for 40yds head shots after sighting it in today at the range. I had been looking for options for this gun for a long time and I'm very happy to have found the Sumtoy base which worked great. I don't know if there's any other options out this for this gun still but I'd highly recommend it and it's nice and low to the receiver still if you remove the sight so you can see the front beads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyScott

Nice! I have new A5 12 gauge with the Ultimate wood and the new Sweet 16. love them.

Bustabeak

Looks amazing! I want to have mine drilled. I have an A5 in bottomland and I just got the wicked wing a week ago. Did SumToy drill your receiver as well? I'm very interested in seeing how it does for ya. There is so much on the internet about the receivers not being strong enough etc etc. as for now, I'll be using this cantilever mount I purchased. I'm still not sold this one is what I want either.

henro

Quote from: Bustabeak on March 05, 2019, 07:14:11 PM
Looks amazing! I want to have mine drilled. I have an A5 in bottomland and I just got the wicked wing a week ago. Did SumToy drill your receiver as well? I'm very interested in seeing how it does for ya. There is so much on the internet about the receivers not being strong enough etc etc. as for now, I'll be using this cantilever mount I purchased. I'm still not sold this one is what I want either.

Love that bottomland/wicked wings combo! What have you seen about the receiver not being strong enough? My friend drilled and tapped the receiver for me. He mentioned there was plenty of material to go down in the receiver so the mount would have a good hold, as you can hopefully see in the pics. He also used slightly longer base mount screws than provided to give it an even stronger hold.

henro

Quote from: KyScott on March 05, 2019, 06:21:36 PM
Nice! I have new A5 12 gauge with the Ultimate wood and the new Sweet 16. love them.

Nice let's see it! I've owned this gun since they came out in 2014 and it's been my favorite and most reliable firearm I've ever owned.

Bustabeak

Quote from: henro on March 05, 2019, 07:26:58 PM

Love that bottomland/wicked wings combo! What have you seen about the receiver not being strong enough? My friend drilled and tapped the receiver for me. He mentioned there was plenty of material to go down in the receiver so the mount would have a good hold, as you can hopefully see in the pics. He also used slightly longer base mount screws than provided to give it an even stronger hold.

I believe I saw a post on here actually that someone stated that browning had said the receiver wasn't strong enough. Again, I don't know how true that is. I will try and find it and post the link for you to see. But man, if that is working good for you, I don't know why it wouldn't work for me! I wanted a dedicated turkey gun so that when waterfowl season came I wouldn't  have to take the sight off every year. So when the wicked wing came out I ordered it. For some reason it took my dealer 2 years to get it. They weren't a full line dealer, so I just think they kept getting bumped to the bottom. But it's finally here! Eventually I want to drill the full bottomland A5 for turkeys only.

Bustabeak

henro

Quote from: Bustabeak on March 05, 2019, 07:40:00 PM
Quote from: henro on March 05, 2019, 07:26:58 PM

I believe I saw a post on here actually that someone stated that browning had said the receiver wasn't strong enough. Again, I don't know how true that is. I will try and find it and post the link for you to see. But man, if that is working good for you, I don't know why it wouldn't work for me! I wanted a dedicated turkey gun so that when waterfowl season came I wouldn't  have to take the sight off every year. So when the wicked wing came out I ordered it. For some reason it took my dealer 2 years to get it. They weren't a full line dealer, so I just think they kept getting bumped to the bottom. But it's finally here! Eventually I want to drill the full bottomland A5 for turkeys only.

I don't know why this wouldn't work either? That's really weird. I had initially planned that this would be a take-off setup when Turkey season is over but after shooting it so far I think I'll love shooting it for everything. The sight window disappears when scanning for a flying bird with both eyes open and you just see the red dot in your field of vision. It's pretty awesome.

henro

Quote from: Bustabeak on March 05, 2019, 07:44:37 PM
It was on shotgun world. Here is the link.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=453096

Interesting... I can see the concern if I was putting a scope on this but the FF3 and base mount are very light. The steel inserts is a good idea in that thread. The post in that thread regarding doing this same application to a Benelli with an aluminum receiver with no issues makes me think this should be ok. I guess we'll see.

Bustabeak

Yes, I agree. I just wish they would send them out from the factory drilled. Have you seen the browning Europe A5 Grand passage? It almost looks like the receiver is made to accept some type of mount for optics.

henro

Quote from: Bustabeak on March 05, 2019, 09:43:10 PM
Yes, I agree. I just wish they would send them out from the factory drilled. Have you seen the browning Europe A5 Grand passage? It almost looks like the receiver is made to accept some type of mount for optics.

Damn no I've never seen that one. Interesting...

gobblers roost

Nice love my Burris ff3

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk