OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Older Woodhaven Pots?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline raven105

Older Woodhaven Pots?
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:35 PM »
I was able to pick up a few Woodhaven pot calls and strikers as part of a bulk sale recently because like many of you, I have a problem with buying turkey calls. Much like the MidwayUSA commercial, I subscribe to the "At least one more" mentality.  Anyway, the pots are older used calls in slate, aluminum, and glass surfaces.  I know there are varying opinions on "mass produced" calls but I'm blown away with the sound.  I've always used their laminate strikers but I've never played a ton of Woodhaven pots, so I was genuinely surprised.  The walnut slate is the best sounding slate I own... and I own a decent variety (see admission above). But what really shocked me was the aluminum.  I'm talking first out of my vest type contender.  It's a raw surface aluminum in a cherry classic pot that flat sings with great rasp.  Since it was used, it is pre-conditioned so I thought, maybe I've been too easy with the sandpaper on aluminum surfaces in the past.  TBH I've never been a big fan, I tried anodized mainly and always had trouble getting it to grab.  Couldn't make them purr to save my life.  Not the case with this old pot.   

This got me thinking.  Anyone have similar experiences with Woodhaven pots?  Anyone have this same aluminum pot?  Got any tips on aluminum surface maintenance in general?   

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: Older Woodhaven Pots?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 01:07:08 PM »
I use sandpaper on all aluminum calls except green anodized. That’s the only way I have been happy with black anodized. Congrats on your new calls I would love to hear a woodhaven carbon crystal If you have one. I always wanted to hear that 200$ call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline raven105

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I should clarify, prior to this pick up, I haven’t owned any Woodhaven pots so these were a first. They’re all part of the legend series or classic series. The glass call has 2003 inscribed on the soundboard so definitely an older collection.

I’d like to hear a $200 crystal as well. Not sure I would pay that for a mass produced call, or any call for that matter. It would have to be pretty special to drop that coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ridgerunner

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Roosted ain't Roasted!
    • www.feathercreekcalls.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »
I've owned a few of the Woodhaven pot calls..to me they are average at best..I have much much better sounding custom calls from other Custom call makers...Woodhaven is just another production call IMO..but WoodHaven does make the best production call i've heard...they just don't compete with some of the custom calls being built today.

Offline longbow2240

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
I was able to pick up a few Woodhaven pot calls and strikers as part of a bulk sale recently because like many of you, I have a problem with buying turkey calls. Much like the MidwayUSA commercial, I subscribe to the "At least one more" mentality.  Anyway, the pots are older used calls in slate, aluminum, and glass surfaces.  I know there are varying opinions on "mass produced" calls but I'm blown away with the sound.  I've always used their laminate strikers but I've never played a ton of Woodhaven pots, so I was genuinely surprised.  The walnut slate is the best sounding slate I own... and I own a decent variety (see admission above). But what really shocked me was the aluminum.  I'm talking first out of my vest type contender.  It's a raw surface aluminum in a cherry classic pot that flat sings with great rasp.  Since it was used, it is pre-conditioned so I thought, maybe I've been too easy with the sandpaper on aluminum surfaces in the past.  TBH I've never been a big fan, I tried anodized mainly and always had trouble getting it to grab.  Couldn't make them purr to save my life.  Not the case with this old pot.   

This got me thinking.  Anyone have similar experiences with Woodhaven pots?  Anyone have this same aluminum pot?  Got any tips on aluminum surface maintenance in general?
I use box call chalk on the striking surface on my Anodized Aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro