OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Outstanding trumpet from gergg  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Outstanding trumpet from gergg
« on: October 26, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
I just received a Bloodwood trumpet from gergg (Greg) and the quality and tone is excellent. I am not anywhere near a great caller, but this is one of the easiest, best sounding trumpets that I have ever used. It ranges from low soft calling to the hard cut and the "POP" sound on the yelp echoes.

The craftsmanship and look of the trumpet is top notch. Any of you guys thinking about trying out a trumpet or thinking of trying one of Greg's, you will not be disappointed. He seems to have been able to skip the early trial and error stage and went right into high quality trumpet builds, I was impressed enough to go ahead and order one in lignum vitae and another in osage.
Like I said to Greg in a PM, when people start trying out his trumpets, he better get ready to get really busy turning wood, because he is not going to have trouble selling these.

Here is the pic of the Bloodwood, it's on the right in Greg's pic, the only difference is that he modified the lipstop to a shorter version.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: Outstanding trumpet from gergg
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »
 Thanks for sharing your pictures and input. I have been wanting to get one from him but I have been giving him some time to see if he changes anything or if he has decided to stick with this build. Maybe I should re think this he may get really busy!

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
I just received a Bloodwood trumpet from gergg (Greg) and the quality and tone is excellent. I am not anywhere near a great caller, but this is one of the easiest, best sounding trumpets that I have ever used. It ranges from low soft calling to the hard cut and the "POP" sound on the yelp echoes.

The craftsmanship and look of the trumpet is top notch. Any of you guys thinking about trying out a trumpet or thinking of trying one of Greg's, you will not be disappointed. He seems to have been able to skip the early trial and error stage and went right into high quality trumpet builds, I was impressed enough to go ahead and order one in lignum vitae and another in osage.
Like I said to Greg in a PM, when people start trying out his trumpets, he better get ready to get really busy turning wood, because he is not going to have trouble selling these.

Here is the pic of the Bloodwood, it's on the right in Greg's pic, the only difference is that he modified the lipstop to a shorter version.

Very happy to hear that you liked the trumpet Sixes, also really appreciate the feedback here. Hope you enjoy it, and please post pictures when you get blood on it  ;D I also am posting Sixes Bloodwood trumpet as it looked before I shipped it with the new lipstop.

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing your pictures and input. I have been wanting to get one from him but I have been giving him some time to see if he changes anything or if he has decided to stick with this build. Maybe I should re think this he may get really busy!

Hey Chris….it took me LOTS of scrap wood to find internals that I was happy with, I am totally satisfied and set where I am now. My favorite trumpets were Buice and KP, my goal was to get mine in the same ballpark relative to tone & playability(feel good where I settled). I also am pleased and set with the external look, each one will always be slightly unique due to the difficult nature(for me) of turning the shape I have chosen. I have only messed with Delrin mouthpieces so far, so I will continue with that for now. Feel free to ask questions, I am always available and enjoy talking shop.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:28:04 AM by gergg »

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
Thanks for answering my question. What woods do you have available? You can PM, call or list hear. Just curious if you have a big or small selection or wanting to try something new? I think tigerwood would be pretty if the wood is dense enough? Thanks for your time

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
Thanks for answering my question. What woods do you have available? You can PM, call or list hear. Just curious if you have a big or small selection or wanting to try something new? I think tigerwood would be pretty if the wood is dense enough? Thanks for your time

My pleasure Chris.....I have been fortunate enough to collect lots of cool wood over the years of guitar building, let's see how good my recall is.....Snakewood(Very limited supply)African Blackwood, Cocobolo, Madagascar Rosewood, Genuine Lignum Vitae(Very limited supply), Argentine Lignum Vitae, Tulipwood, Macassar Ebony, Figured Australian Blackwood, Osage Orange-USA, Kingwood/Camatillo, Bloodwood, Desert Ironwood.....I think these are all suitable for trumpets, some quite rare and hard to get these days too. I think Tigerwood might be the same as Goncalo Alves?? which is approx 2170 on the Janka density chart, would probably work fine, but not as dense as the others I listed(except for Australian Blackwood). I don't have Tigerwood, but could probably get a blank.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

CMBOSTC

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 08:31:03 PM »
Very nice Greg!

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »
Very nice Greg!

Appreciate it Chris....how is that Fall hunt looking?

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

CMBOSTC

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
Very promising.  Saw 2 Jake's in one area and good sign in another.

CMBOSTC

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »

Season opener is tomorrow.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 09:30:35 PM »

Season opener is tomorrow.
When I was a young man I lived in a state that allowed Fall hunting, that was fun.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

CMBOSTC

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 09:38:45 PM »
Oh yeah, I look forward to it all year long.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
FYI....this is what I am calling my G2 Model which reflects original internals, call length, and tone.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:39:04 PM by gergg »

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »
I just received 2 more trumpets from Greg in Lignum Vitae and Osage and once again, they are top notch. Anyone wanting to try out a new call maker should really give Greg chance, you won't be disappointed.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
I just received 2 more trumpets from Greg in Lignum Vitae and Osage and once again, they are top notch. Anyone wanting to try out a new call maker should really give Greg chance, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Sixes, very happy you liked the trumpets, appreciate the feedback here as well.....hope you have good luck with them this Spring. I forgot to take a picture of the Lignum call, but did find one of the Osage Orange and posted it here. I really enjoyed working with the Osage, but that Genuine Lignum was a bear........Take care, Greg

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls