OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: DSD Strutter Head Color  (Read 2198 times)

Offline bdirks

DSD Strutter Head Color
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
My name is Brian and I am a call and decoy whore.

Psychologists claim admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery.

Onto the question at hand. Due to my condition, I have a substantial flock of DSD decoys. I already have a red headed Jake and Submissive Hen. I want a Strutter. Would you do the white head or red head? Anyone have any experience to share about either model? I have a really nice ragged Jake tail to use with the decoy.

Thanks,
Brian Dirks

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: DSD Strutter Head Color
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »
Here's my experience on this over the last 18+ years.

It's seems my "secrets" out, I have had a number of questions here and elsewhere about the "White Headed" Gobbler Decoys I designed/ developed back in 1999 and how he came to be. And like most things there is a story to how this came about. Recently the questions have been with the DSD Strutter I use, he has been a progression of decoys I have used over the years and I made my first White Headed "DSD" Strutter back in 2012, I have made and sold a number of these, I have given many seminars on the subject and have 18 years of in the field use with this design.

Here are a few pics that have been requested on how I have "painted" my DSD's, as you can see the head is an overall white with redish/pink coloration in the head and neck. The reasoning behind this is taking the strutter out of "Fight" mode and putting him in to "Breeding" mode, even with this being the most dominant (Alpha) stage it is not an intimidation to other birds jakes and toms alike. All birds will come to a decoy at this stage, some to fight yes if they are the (Alpha) but Betas, Omegas and even the jakes will come to him. There is a lot that goes in to this and how to hunt a Strutter "right" and decoys in general.

For now I will add a few pics of this, I am in the process of writing the story of the White Headed Gobbler and will post that as well.

The pics are of the DSD Strutter, I have made several upgrades to him. I also added some closeups of the head and neck and how I paint these. It is a pretty easy upgrade, I use just regular bottle of "White Out" with a foam tipped applicator.

If you have questions feel free to ask or PM me on this.

I have a very specific way I paint the "White Head" I will attach the pics. DSD and last pic is "BIG PUFFY"

MK M GOBL

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:14:52 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »
Couldn't find my post on this, it's a good read :)

My Story with the White Headed Gobbler

Here is my story with the White Headed Gobbler and this starts back in the early 1990’s when I first started turkey hunting, I originally had a H.S. Motion Hen decoy and a few years after that time I had purchased the Feather Flex hen decoys and a jake decoy called Bubba. I hunted these new decoys and had some good results and had a few toms that took to beating on my jake decoy.  Over the next couple of seasons I seen some of the same results and in 1997 Bubba took the worst beat down he had seen and the foam body was torn. After seeing how toms responded to the jake decoy I decided to buy another, I also found that Feather Flex made a full strut jake decoy called Tommy and bought him as well. The next year I am using the new strutter decoy and he gets beat and beat bad, a tom had done some damage to the decoy and the foam fan was torn and pulled from the body and in need of repair.

So here we are in 1999 and as they say necessity is the mother of invention and a little ingenuity. As I started with the repair of the decoy I needed to replace the “foam” fan for the decoy. I had several fans from birds I killed and was able to cut the back of the decoy and fit the real fan to it, and it looked good! I the thought about what else I could do to improve the decoy. So one thing I was thinking was that both of my “jake” decoys had red colored necks and just a white top on the head. Now part of this goes back to the farm turkeys we had raised and I studied and learned from and what I learned about the head color of the toms, and when they were showing dominance at that fight stage and that the head/neck was predominantly “Red” at this point, and when the tom (dominant) went to breed his hen his head went to an almost all “White” color. I also noticed that the other male jake/toms would be around him but not aggressive to him. I learned about the Alpha/Beta/Omega social structure and how this worked within our flock and some of how they displayed this to one another. There were more behavioral keys I learned as well but that is another bit of this story.

So I decided to fix up my decoy to what I had seen from this, and this is where I designed/developed a “White Headed Gobbler” decoy, the old foam fan was replaced with a real fan, a fan from a gobbler and then I needed to replace the beard as the decoy had a jake beard, I ended up using some fly tying materials as I didn’t want to use one of my “trophies” beards. I tied up a beard and kept it shorter to replicate a young tom and then it came to the head, I wanted to show a tom at the breeding stage, not as a fighter. I did have much other than jig or fly paints and then it came to me “White Out” yup just the regular old white out for fixing errors on paper. Now I may have made the first of these decoys with a little to much white and left just a little red at the very base of the neck, later on as I did more of these I learned to paint in a better fashion to show some of the redish/pink coloration with the blue coloration around the eyes, snood color and the overall white head. Upgrades in decoys in this progression was also key to this as well. So now I had a “New” decoy with a real fan, a “real” beard and the White Head design, now the other part of this was in my thoughts… When a tom is at this stage he is ready to breed a hen, and the hen was ready to get bred. My hen decoys were on a stake and not on the ground like the hens I watched when breeding was going on, solution cut my stake short. I later made up a number of stakes at varying lengths to accommodate some other needs as well.

In 1999 I killed my first tom over my White Headed Gobbler Decoy that year, had a double on jakes with a buddy of mine, also a first and Dad killed over him. I also guided several birds over the White Head Decoy. Feather Flex also came out with Signature Series Decoys and I upgraded to these in my hens and a standing jake decoy too.

I have been hunting over a "White Headed" Gobbler Decoy I developed / designed since 1999, I have made a number of upgrades to this design and even gave him a name “BIG PUFFY” and there is more to his story and history but that’s for another day. Over the years I have made, sold and even given seminars on what I have learned with this.

As the upgrades were made I also started hunting with Dave Smith Decoys, hens at first and then in 2012  I made a White Headed DSD Strutter Decoy  and to say the least he is deadly!!

I have been hunting over a White Headed Gobbler Decoy for the last 18 years, I have learned a lot kept making improvements and still making those, I learned how to hunt not only a strutter but decoys in general “right” and still learning those longbeard lessons.

It’s been a long read and hope you liked and maybe even learned a little from these insights!

As the story continues,

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 11:31:31 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline bdirks

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »
MK,

This was an awesome read. You sold me. Thank you for your very insightful info.

Thanks!
Brian Dirks

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »
Why carry dead weight callers?
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline bdirks

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »
What?

If you are asking about the number of calls I have the answer is simple. All of my potvcalls are personalized from Wedell Rye at Lights Out. I hold a degree in Wood Science from Iowa State and many of the calls I have are exotic woods. It is sort of a collection. Also, my parents buy me a turkey call every year for Christmas. I work with Wendell on all aspects of the call and then I tell my folks what I want.

Brian

Brian

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »

Is this what you were looking for?

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »

Is this what you were looking for?

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

Part of it, was just looking for the "White Headed" gobbler story I wrote up.  I had it on another forum, guy was asking me about this. All good

MK M GOBL

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
The B-Mobile I use with a real fan, has a mostly blue head, but it is an extremely light blue, practically white. I've had many a tom come running to him. The first strutting gobbler deke I hunted over was my friend's Pretty Boy, which we also outfitted with a real fan. Pretty Boy had a very white head also, and gobblers didn't hesitate to come in to him.