OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Osceola dreaming  (Read 5866 times)

Offline camotoe

Re: Osceola dreaming
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
Yup there all romp and stomp but we take birds out of them every year. By the time we go  to three lakes it's always the last two weeks of the season and it's nice . Not many hunters then . I start in the cypress which is easy to get away from people it's big country . But this year I have an okaloosa quota to start so we shall see .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »
I'm supposed to see a lot, trying too get a quote
When opening isn't the best way to go
The last few WEAKS  is the better time fram to go after the turkeys
That's in public land that is
Best of luck to all ......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »
I'm waiting, my place in line is 19 for one and 28 on another. Not real sure exactly what that means.

That means you better make other plans. Lol. That’s how far down the list of hunters that’ll not pick up their permit. Bubba

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
I'm waiting, my place in line is 19 for one and 28 on another. Not real sure exactly what that means.
That means you better make other plans. Lol. That’s how far down the list of hunters that’ll not pick up their permit. Bubba
Wade, Bubba is exactly right. Those are your places in line for the permit for the hunt you chose, IF the guys ahead of you that actually did get drawn don't pay for their permits. I can't tell you how many times I've been #1 waiting in line, and never got drawn for the permit. As a matter of fact, on one of the hunts I put in for, I'm #1 in line again this year. ::) FWC's permit system absolutely sucks. >:(

Offline wade

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »

That is exactly what I thought.
Do it outdoors

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
Ha - I’m 65, 111 and 165 so you have me beat to include making it feel like I wasted $15

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 12:00:18 PM »
Don't know anything about those S. FLA places, but Bull Creek and 3 Lakes are romp and stomp hunts with hundreds of hunters. I won't waste my time there, and they're 1-1/2 hours from my house anyway. I hunt, when I can get drawn, at higher percentage areas close to home.
I Know what you mean about hunters thats where I hunt, last year opener 188 hunters two birds shot. Second day 134 hunters six birds shot one was mine. It can be done but it is a real ZOO. My first trip down to Florida was in 2009 I shipped a tent down to a UPS store for in store pickup. Got onto a plane flew into Tampa, rented a car drove to Three Lakes and started the learning process. The second day out a guy shot my Jack decoy, learning process no more male decoys on public land. I hunted till one oclock (end of legal shooting time) each day and walked all afternoon till dark scouting. I learned what the North fence, and south fence property looked like, and many spots in-between. I missed my opportunity the last day I was there, and didn't shoot a bird that year. In 2010 I was back and filled one tag, been back every other year since. And I have been more successful with at least one bird every time since. But thats partly because I now know how to hunt pressured birds. But I also have met a terrific bunch of people down there, that keep me filled in as to what going on in Three Lakes. So now I spend my afternoon and evening sitting around a campfire and telling stories. So if some day I dont fill a tag again down there, I still will be going home with a lot of new stories and great Memories.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »
Don't know anything about those S. FLA places, but Bull Creek and 3 Lakes are romp and stomp hunts with hundreds of hunters. I won't waste my time there, and they're 1-1/2 hours from my house anyway. I hunt, when I can get drawn, at higher percentage areas close to home.
I Know what you mean about hunters thats where I hunt, last year opener 188 hunters two birds shot. Second day 134 hunters six birds shot one was mine. It can be done but it is a real ZOO. My first trip down to Florida was in 2009 I shipped a tent down to a UPS store for in store pickup. Got onto a plane flew into Tampa, rented a car drove to Three Lakes and started the learning process. The second day out a guy shot my Jack decoy, learning process no more male decoys on public land. I hunted till one oclock (end of legal shooting time) each day and walked all afternoon till dark scouting. I learned what the North fence, and south fence property looked like, and many spots in-between. I missed my opportunity the last day I was there, and didn't shoot a bird that year. In 2010 I was back and filled one tag, been back every other year since. And I have been more successful with at least one bird every time since. But thats partly because I now know how to hunt pressured birds. But I also have met a terrific bunch of people down there, that keep me filled in as to what going on in Three Lakes. So now I spend my afternoon and evening sitting around a campfire and telling stories. So if some day I dont fill a tag again down there, I still will be going home with a lot of new stories and great Memories.
Yes, that's correct!! I used to hunt like that until I learned the WMA's and honed in quality places that were within an hour drive from my house. I've killed birds and guided friends successfully there. Nowadays, I'm not so keen on driving, camping and hunting romp and stomps. Good luck to you if you come back this season!! :icon_thumright:

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 03:33:32 PM »
For those of y’all who have hunted the cypress, how is the terrain. The Ariel is hard for me to decipher what’s what as I’ve never been in any woods that appear like that on a a map. And can you legit get to places that’ll have birds by foot? Walking miles don’t bother me but from what you read there’s a lot of people who say you need swamp buggies and such?

Pms are fine if not wanting to post to the open net.

Trying to figure out what’s what so if/when I make the trip I don’t waste a week just driving around trying to find a place one could hike in on foot

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 11:59:48 PM »
For those of y’all who have hunted the cypress, how is the terrain.
I've never hunted the Big Cypress. But several of my friends have for years. If you want to hunt there successfully, you'd best be prepared!! :o It's tough to get in there. 4 wheelers with snorkels and big mud tires, or monster swamp buggies just to get in. Camping gear to spend the nights out there. Be ready to deal with gators, panthers, bears and pythons. That's a real man's hunt!!

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 12:17:02 AM »
For those of y’all who have hunted the cypress, how is the terrain.
I've never hunted the Big Cypress. But several of my friends have for years. If you want to hunt there successfully, you'd best be prepared!! :o It's tough to get in there. 4 wheelers with snorkels and big mud tires, or monster swamp buggies just to get in. Camping gear to spend the nights out there. Be ready to deal with gators, panthers, bears and pythons. That's a real man's hunt!!

That’s what I’ve always heard. If that’s how it really is it’d cost me a fortune to just make it down there with all that gear. Sounds logistically like my elk hunts. I’d chase them on the other romp and stomps I guess.

Draw hunt wise. Is there anyway to check how many preference points it’s taking to get drawn?

I’ve won some hunts that I’ve had to turn in for a point due to work, and this year applied with 3 points to a diff area unsuccessfully. Was just curios if there’s a way to see what certain places are taking to be successful

Offline camotoe

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »
Depends on the year , this year its as dry as can .Was there 2 weeks ago and I could walk thru the cypress heads with out getting my feet wet . Saw plenty of turkey sign some bear  and panther tracks . You do not need a swamp buggy if you like to walk they have to stay on marked trails easy enough to get away from them. Walk the trails till you see sign and you probably will find some water in a head. I like to set up close to the cypress or right in it . good luck

Offline wade

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 11:30:04 AM »
My camping and hunting a WMA plans are not working out. Now thinking about a guided hunt. Anyone heard of or have experience with Rick Hebel?
Do it outdoors

Offline wade

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
I didn’t mean to kill the thread with my question. But let’s finish it off. What about West Shore Outfitters?
Do it outdoors

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
Draw hunt wise. Is there anyway to check how many preference points it’s taking to get drawn?
Not that I know of. I know that you can check is how many preference points you have. What I can tell you is that most good and popular hunts take 2 preference points minimum to get drawn. Hunts that have a really good reputation, with a good turkey population and let in very few hunters can take 5 or more preference points to get drawn.