OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Osceola dreaming

Started by wade, October 12, 2018, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wade

Tomorrow is opening day of deer season in my neck of the woods. But my mind is on the turkeys in Florida. Camp, enter WMA drawing, hire a guide? I got plenty of time or do I?

Thanks for listening
Do it outdoors

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

wade

I entered the drawing for several wmas we'll see how it goes.
Do it outdoors

Oljamo

well did you pull any turkey permits ? i know a guy that can put you on an osceola, been lving down here my whole life
Osceola headhunter

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: wade on December 01, 2018, 07:50:57 AM
How'd you do? You get drawn for anything? I got skunked. Again.
It's so wonderful to not be able to hunt in your own state.  ::) >:(

Devastator

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on December 22, 2018, 12:55:27 PM

Really,not even on private land,that's crazy

Spurs Up

Quote from: Devastator on December 22, 2018, 09:55:40 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't have to draw a quota permit for private lands in Florida.  Last I knew, you could hunt quite a few public areas—millions of acres—without drawing a limited entry permit. Now whether you'd want to hunt those areas is a whole different matter...

squidd

You'll need to keep trying as it takes 4-5 preference points to get a good WMA draw.

Burnt my four points last year trying to get a newbie his first Turkey - birds hung up just outside of WMA and had other hunters coming in from all directions.

Plenty of WMAs that do not require a permit and plenty of related article/youtubers to do some cyber-scouting.

Saw a few Turkeys out Snipe hunting this past weekend, so I'm dreaming about the March opener as well!

buzzardroost

I drew Camp Blanding this year. I know that's on the far North of the map range though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born2hunt

One of the great joys we share for living in the treasured Osceola territory. I drew my favorite local WMA last year with 5 points. 5 years of waiting and was done right after daylight the first day. Almost regretted pulling the trigger. I will definitely be hunting just not where I would like too. 
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

wade

I'm waiting, my place in line is 19 for one and 28 on another. Not real sure exactly what that means.
Do it outdoors

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Spurs Up on December 24, 2018, 08:21:27 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't have to draw a quota permit for private lands in Florida.  Last I knew, you could hunt quite a few public areas—millions of acres—without drawing a limited entry permit. Now whether you'd want to hunt those areas is a whole different matter...
I never said anything about needing a permit for private land in FLA. However, if you want to hunt private land in FLA, you'd better own it, have a good friend to invite you, or have a lot of money. Between all the wealthy business men in FLA, and the outfitters gobbling up all the Osceola land, you can't afford to hunt private land if you're an average Joe, like me.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: born2hunt on December 25, 2018, 09:44:41 PM
One of the great joys we share for living in the treasured Osceola territory. I drew my favorite local WMA last year with 5 points. 5 years of waiting and was done right after daylight the first day. Almost regretted pulling the trigger. I will definitely be hunting just not where I would like too. 
The other part of the equation is FWC keeping hundreds of thousands of acres of pristine lands closed to hunting. Yet hikers, bikers, campers and equestrians all get to recreate on these "public" lands for free. It's very aggravating.

camotoe

Big cypress , Corbett , Hungryland, open public hunting all have birds in the south a lil north 3 lakes. , bull creek . Very do able if u have a week .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Don't know anything about those S. FLA places, but Bull Creek and 3 Lakes are romp and stomp hunts with hundreds of hunters. I won't waste my time there, and they're 1-1/2 hours from my house anyway. I hunt, when I can get drawn, at higher percentage areas close to home.