OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sassafras Striker ?

Started by Turkeytider, September 28, 2018, 03:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Anybody ever used one? If so, on what surface(s) ? How`d it do?  I know it`s a soft wood and looking to add one for some softer calling.

hunter22

I have a Sassafras striker made by Larry Gresser that runs good on slate.

callmakerman

Never tried Sass but cedar and mahogany work real well.

outdoors

Cedar is  900
Sassafras Is 630  , kinda soft
I use a cedar for softness myself
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Turkeytider

Quote from: outdoors on September 28, 2018, 10:25:09 PM

Cedar is  900
Sassafras Is 630  , kinda soft
I use a cedar for softness myself

Got one of each, Fred Cox one piece. For me and my calls ( crystal and plain aluminum), I slightly prefer the sassafras for soft calling. Got a fairly wide array of strikers covering the Janka scale. It's interesting how different woods give different sounds on the same calls. I've found , at least in my case, the softer the wood, the better the purr.

Spitten and drummen

I have had a couple of them. I hate them. softer than cedar. IMO I think they are too soft. To each his own.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Turkeytider

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on October 04, 2018, 08:19:50 AM
I have had a couple of them. I hate them. softer than cedar. IMO I think they are too soft. To each his own.
[/quote

Yep, they're soft alright. I was a little surprised. Boy, the one I've got just clucks and purrs effortlessly. Yelp's not the greatest but I'm trying to keep it soft anyway. After good light I'll probably be switching out to a harder wood and purring on a mouth call.