OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Latex and Proph  (Read 5099 times)

Online Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
Latex and Proph
« on: September 25, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
Can someone explain the difference between the two, the advantage of proph over latex and when to use each?

I know latex has greater thicknesses and colors. The proph seems to be the same color and around .0025.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Latex and Proph
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:02:59 AM »
Here are my (somewhat lengthy) thoughts on the matter...

I believe the basic material composition is the same,...that is, all of it is "latex".  "Proph" stands for "prophylactic", which is basically the very thin latex material used for certain products such as condoms.  In terms of turkey call construction, we use the term proph to describe that material,...and yes, it is generally thought to be .0025 in thickness (or thereabouts).  Natural proph material is the white/clear material we generally speak of, but there are other proph colors available.

Latex is made in batches of large sheets and is made for many applications.  The functions of the coloration of each batch is both decorative and for identification of thickness of material for use/application by the industries that utilize it.  However, the same thickness of material is often made in many different colors to give consumers options in that regard.  Obviously, latex sheets are not produced specifically for use in making turkey calls, so we are basically taking a product used for other purposes and applying it to our craft.  Because of that, there are a lot of "ifs" involved when we take a particular piece of latex and apply it to making calls.

There is debate among us mouth call builders at to whether the color added to latex actually affects the sound quality of the material as compared to the final material thickness produced in the "batch" of latex it comes from.  There is no doubt that a particular batch of material will have an impact on the sound quality produced in a call, but whether or not that is a function of the color added to the batch, or is more related to the very small differences in the thickness/composition of the overall batch of material is questionable.

As to your question regarding the "advantages" of the different thicknesses of material, thinner material (proph, .003., .004) is generally easier for most callers to use.  However, the thinner the material used in a call, the more fragile it becomes in terms of maintaining its sound quality over time.  In addition, there are many other factors that determine sound production in any given call, not to mention the abilities of the caller.

We could get into more detail regarding those factors if desired, but I'll stop for now.

Online Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 11:18:07 AM »
Thanks for the response. Would it be right to consider the thicker tge material the deeper the sound? I know cut has alot to do with rasp.

Do you always stack the heaviest material on top, for a so called backbone?

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »
Generally speaking, yes, the thicker the latex, the deeper the tone will be.  It is all a function of reed vibration.  As you indicate, though, the sound can vary significantly due to the other factors in call construction,....layering, reed numbers, spacing, tension, and cuts. ....And just as important are the calling "mechanics" of the user. 

The stacking of reeds in order of thickness is not necessary at all.  Personally, I think the most important factor (all other things being equal) are the reed cuts.  My basic "saying" is that almost every call has a turkey in it somewhere.  It is all a matter of going through a series of reed cuts, from basic to more complex with each call, until you find the combination that that particular call needs to match your calling mechanics. 

A call that is stacked from heaviest to lightest reed material may turn out to work best for some callers while a call that is stacked the exact opposite may be the best for another.  For those just starting to make their own calls,...or even buying from others,...it is all a learning process.  Again, this can be elaborated on if those interested desire....

Online Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »
Great. Thanks for your responses. I already build pots but considering buying a press from Thad to start making mouth calls.

I have determined the next step in diaphragms are making my own.

Thanks for all your knowledge.