OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The one that ran away!  (Read 2031 times)

Offline GrizzFrictionWoodCalls

The one that ran away!
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
This old gobbler here had eluded me on three consecutive mornings. I had taken a monopod and a magnet and attached it to my phone so I could film this hunt , which turned out pretty good. This old gobbler sounded off about 10:30 in the big timber and I could tell he was left alone because all morning he was quiet now he's gobbling more frequent.  I had just been lagging back waiting on him to do something. Must of been 3 hours or so and I hadn't heard him. When he gobbled I didn't make a peep I circled around and got as close as I could without him busting me and set up by a tree real quick! The first thing I did was scratch on the leaves and made a couple of soft Yelps on my friction wood and I could hear him walking and drumming. I must have just walked up within 30 yards of that gobbler, that's getting in tight. My heart was about to beat out of my chest from hurrying up there and then the excitement of him just being there and I was going to close the deal. All of a sudden I was like I'll see him any second and I heard a gobbler cluck and I peeked over my camera and there he stood less than 20 yards my camera had been blocking his walk up the whole time filming him the whole way. He took off running I jumped up Run towards him big old beard swinging biggest gobbler I've ever seen on two legs and he run right out of my life. But that's hunting he'll be there next spring hopefully and I'll get another opportunity his gobble is for sure unmistakable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: The one that ran away!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
Neat story.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."