turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hardwood and Softwood Strikers

Started by Turkeytider, September 10, 2018, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

It`s both interesting and somewhat confusing that the terms " hardwood " and "softwood" really don`t pertain to the actual hardness of the wood itself. The terms are botanical in nature. "Hardwood" pertains to deciduous plants ( trees ). By definition they are seasonal leaf shedders. "Softwood" pertains to evergreens/coniferous trees. Case in point, Balsa. As far as hardness is concerned, it`s right at the bottom of the Janka scale. Scientifically, however, it`s a " hardwood ". There`s really no defined Janka threshold to differentiate the two. Most of the strikers that we relate to soft calling are down on the low end of the scale and are thus "soft".  Poplar, sassafras, sycamore, cedar, butternut, etc.

mmclain

I've turned lots of woods for strikers over the years.  I never rely on the Jenka scale   There are lots of factors that go into making a good striker besides hardness.  I've had woods that I never did consider for a striker make some really nice special purpose strikers.  I've turned woods that were dense and hard that were crap.   And some lighter grainy woods that are excellent every time and I prefer over the some of the denser woods.  The notion that harder is better is given too much credibility in striker building as well as in turning the pot call.   also don't let your eyes deceive you.  Pretty and expensive doesn't equal the best.   consistency in production and a design and method that enables a person to re-do or tune the striker is essential. 

Turkeytider

Quote from: mmclain on October 15, 2018, 12:35:21 AM
I've turned lots of woods for strikers over the years.  I never rely on the Jenka scale   There are lots of factors that go into making a good striker besides hardness.  I've had woods that I never did consider for a striker make some really nice special purpose strikers.  I've turned woods that were dense and hard that were crap.   And some lighter grainy woods that are excellent every time and I prefer over the some of the denser woods.  The notion that harder is better is given too much credibility in striker building as well as in turning the pot call.   also don't let your eyes deceive you.  Pretty and expensive doesn't equal the best.   consistency in production and a design and method that enables a person to re-do or tune the striker is essential.

Would be interested to see what some of your favorite lighter striker woods might be. For me, the lighter ( softer ) the wood, the better the striker clucks, purrs, and soft calls. I can`t seem to make a harder wood striker purr much at all. I`m sure it`s me and not the wood!

idratherb

call Harold Fowler and get a few, dont over think it or you'll end up with far more strikers then you'll ever need.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: idratherb on October 20, 2018, 12:29:38 PM
call Harold Fowler and get a few, dont over think it or you'll end up with far more strikers then you'll ever need.
To many strikers is like to many guns, there is no such thing. :P
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."