OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Acrylic Striker Conditioning?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
Acrylic Striker Conditioning?
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »
Pretty new to pots and strikers. I know about conditioning wood strikers, but do you also have to rough up the tips of acrylic strikers or do they play without it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Acrylic Striker Conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
I posted this a second ago and then removed it because I realized you were asking specifically about acrylic and kinda doubted myself. I will post it again because it would still seem to make sense but please wait for one of the others that know more than I to reply before you do anything.

They will play without it but sometimes you will build up a residue on them and have to lightly clean them. I have always done it very lightly on a Scotch Bright pad or a very I believe it would be high grit sandpaper. Sorry not good which what sandpaper is which but not the really rough stuff, the kind that I would say is sandier if that makes any sense. Not what you would start a wood project off with but the really fine stuff you would use at the end. Others here will explain it better than I am. I hope this helps or at least gave you a laugh at my expense.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:19:41 PM »
I posted this a second ago and then removed it because I realized you were asking specifically about acrylic and kinda doubted myself. I will post it again because it would still seem to make sense but please wait for one of the others that know more than I to reply before you do anything.

They will play without it but sometimes you will build up a residue on them and have to lightly clean them. I have always done it very lightly on a Scotch Bright pad or a very I believe it would be high grit sandpaper. Sorry not good which what sandpaper is which but not the really rough stuff, the kind that I would say is sandier if that makes any sense. Not what you would start a wood project off with but the really fine stuff you would use at the end. Others here will explain it better than I am. I hope this helps or at least gave you a laugh at my expense.

No, no that`s fine! Appreciate all the help I can get!  Thanks.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

No, no that`s fine! Appreciate all the help I can get!  Thanks.
You're welcome
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
When I make my acrylic strikers, the tips are polished down in steps, wet sanded to 2000.  And never have to be touched after that.  That said, if for some reason, one has to be dressed, your probably gonna have a hard time getting the tip polished to a glass like appearance without A lathe.  The things I like about acrylic is, you don't have to dress them, they run wet, and they play very well on glass, ceramic, and all of your metal surfaces, where some woods can be difficult to get to run.