OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: M2 Help?  (Read 3967 times)

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
M2 Help?
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »
 So,,, I bought my 12 year old son a M2 this winter for turkey hunting. With a little shooting at paper, cans and stuff before season "we" were ready.

First morning youth season, one hour in, big strutter in front of us at 30 yards. I had called him past once already but the boy couldn't get a shot. I called him back, this time the boy gets the shot. CLICK. No bang. Cycled the action but to no avail, the gobbler was gone. That's a loud click. My boy was hot, not near as hot as I would have been but mad non the less.

A week ago I see a mole in the back yard, grab the M2, drop a shell in and slam it home. Took three steps out the back door, pulled up, CLICK. 

My question is will a wolf spring help this soft action to stay shut under normal operation and hunting?

BTW, the gun is new, less than 100 rounds through it.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: M2 Help?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »
Man that sucks for your son, I have a M2 and I have never had one issue with mine, I would take it to a quality gun smith or send it beck to Benelli

Offline nyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »
what shells are you shooting? did the shell that didn't go off in the m2 go off in another gun?

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 08:06:38 AM »
So,,, I bought my 12 year old son a M2 this winter for turkey hunting. With a little shooting at paper, cans and stuff before season "we" were ready.

First morning youth season, one hour in, big strutter in front of us at 30 yards. I had called him past once already but the boy couldn't get a shot. I called him back, this time the boy gets the shot. CLICK. No bang. Cycled the action but to no avail, the gobbler was gone. That's a loud click. My boy was hot, not near as hot as I would have been but mad non the less.

A week ago I see a mole in the back yard, grab the M2, drop a shell in and slam it home. Took three steps out the back door, pulled up, CLICK. 

My question is will a wolf spring help this soft action to stay shut under normal operation and hunting?

BTW, the gun is new, less than 100 rounds through it.
The Benelli click sucks! The Wolf spring does help a bunch.  Only problem with the stronger wolf spring is that the gun wouldnt cycle light loads with it installed.

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »
 Thanks guys for your thoughts. The first time it happened it was a #6 Longbeard shell, the second time was 2/3/4" Remington of some sorts? Its not the shells, it is the softness of the action which will open very easily with the slightest bump.
 I've looked at the guns for a couple years and wouldn't buy myself one because I knew I would wrap it around a tree when it did it to me. I've stuck with my BPS 10 just because when I close the slide it is death.
 To whom that own these guns. Take your gun and let it slam shut, without a shell in it. Take very close notice to the position of the black ejector, about 1 o'clock. Now drop the gun, butt stock end on your foot. The boys gun only has to be about four inches from my foot before the action opens and the ejector turns to three o'clock. At this position the gun will not fire, it will (CLICK) like it would to fire, but the firing pin does not strike the primer. When you get your gun to do this opening of the action you will see what I mean. You have to inspect the ejector to see it, the action appears to be fully closed.
 I will order a wolf spring.

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 10:00:51 PM »
Yes the shell doesn't matter.  The click that really got me was when I had just jumped a barbed wire fence, and spotted a coyote out in a field about 100 yards out.  I called to him twice sqeaking on my mouth call and he comes in on a string, gets to 15 yard and CLICK!  I guess I jarred the bolt out of battery when I jumped the fence.  Hasn't happened since the Wolf spring instal.  You can check for the spacing you speak of with your index finger when you sit down.  If it is slightly open you can close it by pushing up on the grabber and it will rotate into place quietly.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
Them guns are bad if the bolt dont close all the way it click not snap.   I had a SBE do it with heavy loads.  When you let the bolt close just push on the handle to make sure it shut.

Now you may pull it apart and clean all the oil out.  Then put a VERY thin coat back.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline Tailwalk

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:39:42 PM »
I almost chainsawed my sbe1 in half for clicking on a gobbler one time. It was always in my mind after that hunt so I sold the gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
I’m Pretty sure a good cleaning will fix your issue.

They will move easily if bumped down, but should return back to the right position. You may need to clean or inspect for a burr in the area the bolt rotates into when shut on the the receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gobblehead

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
The click happened to me in Kansas last year with a big longbeard at 30 yds I coulda puked as it walked away, I cycled it and called it back in and shot it, now I always check to make sure action is completely shut, my problem was I loaded gun quietly and didn't let bolt slam shut first thing that morn.  I love my M2 20 but get in habit of checking action it can be easily bumped out of battery.

Offline Squirrels

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
That's odd and hope you got it resloved. My M2 12GA has had thousands of round run through it waterfowl hunting. I have had zero issues out of that gun (knock on wood). I've been known to pull a bolt back a 1/2 inch on a buddies Benelli in a duck blind when he wasn't looking a couple times. :you_rock:

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
Yes put it in a heavier spring and it will solve that. Factory spring is to soft and will come out of battery just from bouncing while walking. Learnt that the hard way myself

Offline Ranger007

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:42 PM »
Wolff spring best $13 you can spend on a Benelli

Offline edward.penny

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 06:27:10 AM »
I had a Stoeger that did the same on a paid duck hunt. Proud to say someone else owns that gun now.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 07:33:27 AM »
$1000+ gun needing me to buy an extra spring to make it fire would make me hot!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer