OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sound File - Travis Wyatt - 4 Trumpets  (Read 2605 times)

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
Sound File - Travis Wyatt - 4 Trumpets
« on: August 19, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
Travis Wyatt sent some trumpets my way so I could give them a little test-run. In an effort to share his hard work, I made a sound file of them all. I paused 10-15 seconds before switching between trumpets as noted below.....The last 10 seconds are me walking out of the woods and trying to play another trumpet, ignore that....lol....All of these trumpets run good.

https://soundcloud.com/user480895638/travis-trumpets

They are played in this order on the sound file:
Bocote, Bloodwood, Thuya Burl, Blackwood

And here they are

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline ltprod

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Sound File - Travis Wyatt - 4 Trumpets
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »
They sound real good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
The very first one sounds more like a dove to me....... Just joking, I know it's a dove in the background.
The calls are high pitched to my ear. Tell him to go up 1/64" on mouth piece hole until he gets a little less high pitch sound. Just my opinion. I wish the first ones I made look and sound as good as those do.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »
The very first one sounds more like a dove to me....... Just joking, I know it's a dove in the background.
The calls are high pitched to my ear. Tell him to go up 1/64" on mouth piece hole until he gets a little less high pitch sound. Just my opinion. I wish the first ones I made look and sound as good as those do.

You are correct, they are on the high-pitched side of "good", I told Travis that as well. For someone who likes the edge/sharpness a brighter trumpet offers, these would be great.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »
I like high pitch on the yelp side myself, but if it's too high pitched I think it's hard to get a realistic sounding cluck.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 06:50:53 AM »
Travis is sending me a few calls to try for feedback. I can't wait to give them a try. I usually like them a little on the high end and I thought you did a good job Gregg. Now, I just have to learn how to do a soundfile, lol.

Online sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
Nice job Gregg. Travis those trumpets sure look good !

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »
Sounded good to me! And they are good lookers

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, and thank you Greg for posting that.

I'm still working on perfecting them, and I've literally only been making these for less than 2 months.  I just wanted to see if I could make a simple, no frills trumpet that would give me a sound that would kill a turkey.   I enjoyed making a couple, so that turned into a couple more, and a couple more.   Now that I have several, I wouldn't mind selling a few, and can keep the price pretty low, but they weren't meant to be anything other than a simple, affordable trumpet that would make a good sound.   Not something that would rival the upper echelon of trumpets.    And if no one is interested, I'm okay with that too.
They were/are fun to make, and fun to share, and hopefully keep getting better if I don't run out of patience and money first, lol.

Thanks again for the compliments

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 05:25:20 PM »
I almost kept that bocote trumpet, it plays really good.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Online sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »
I know I’m interested!

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
Travis that's incredible for the first trumpets you have made and there good lookers to boot!

Keep up the great work!

Online twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
Thank you!

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
Travis is sending me a few calls to try for feedback. I can't wait to give them a try. I usually like them a little on the high end and I thought you did a good job Gregg. Now, I just have to learn how to do a soundfile, lol.

Well, I got Travis' call in the mail Thursday. The very first thing I noticed was that the pictures, as good as they are, do not do the beauty of his calls justice. Very nice craftsmanship, fit and finish is excellent clear down to the machined brass ferrule.

I really wish I knew how to do a sound file because they played great. I do like yelpers a little on the higher pitched side and these things whistled with ease and they also rolled over nicely. I also found them very easy to get a lower pitch by loosening up my lips and making a little bigger sound chamber with my hands.

I got to be honest that I was pretty surprised at his calls for having not been making them long. They are "right there" with any of a number of my favorite yelpers. They are absolute turkey killers without a doubt.  If Travis sticks at it, I believe we'll be hearing much more about his calls.

That's just my humble opinion.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 05:50:35 PM »

Well, I got Travis' call in the mail Thursday. The very first thing I noticed was that the pictures, as good as they are, do not do the beauty of his calls justice. Very nice craftsmanship, fit and finish is excellent clear down to the machined brass ferrule.

I really wish I knew how to do a sound file because they played great. I do like yelpers a little on the higher pitched side and these things whistled with ease and they also rolled over nicely. I also found them very easy to get a lower pitch by loosening up my lips and making a little bigger sound chamber with my hands.

I got to be honest that I was pretty surprised at his calls for having not been making them long. They are "right there" with any of a number of my favorite yelpers. They are absolute turkey killers without a doubt.  If Travis sticks at it, I believe we'll be hearing much more about his calls.

That's just my humble opinion.

I thought the same thing EZ, they were great little yelpers. I told Travis I liked that they had some "edge" to them, I could make them cut/yelp like a wild little hen. While they are on the brighter side of the scale, I too found the deeper clucks were easy enough to find, just took a little manipulation for me.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls