OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite wood?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Gobbler2577

Favorite wood?
« on: August 15, 2018, 04:51:06 PM »
So I came with my wife to Destin, Florida for a conference.  I'm not really a beach person and certainly not a shopping person.  So I've been a little bored and am wondering if you guys have a favorite wood for pots?  Maybe a favorite wood for each surface?  My favorite has to be Padauk followed by Osage for any surface.  I suppose if I had to pick a third it would be a good maple burl.  What say you?

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Offline Buckrub

Re: Favorite wood?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
My favorite would be Mexican Cocobolo, but, Bocote is another favorite as well.

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »
Osage just seems to make a fantastic pot in slate and glass. 

For a mellower slate cherry is one of my favorites.

I like Walnut for crystal and it makes a great glass pot as well.

Real hard woods for aluminum cocobolo, goncola alves, etc.

Offline Gobbler2577

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
I'll say I love the looks of cocobolo but I've been hesitant to try to turn any after hearing some of the tales about allergic reactions.  I've had some wood sensitivity issues in the past that I don't care to repeat.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:49:43 PM »
Walnut!

Offline wvlimbhanger

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 10:33:49 PM »
I've got many that I really like.....cherry, walnut, zebrawood.....but padauk and ambrosia maple would be my favorites.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
In terms of just beauty  snakewood would be at the top of the list. In terms of sound that really seems to be with the surface that is used and the call makers who matched that surface. My favorite right now is a stoned aluminum in tigerwood. Actually I guess I like all of the woods and surfaces and that is why I have way to many pot calls.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »
I really don't have a favorite, but I have a few I don't care for.  Others, like Walnut, can be a pain.  Walnut likes to move, I get that, you have to really0 take your time with it.  I really like turning woods that I've stabilized.  The end grains seem to clean up much faster and easier than non stabilized woods.  I guess if I had to choose a favorite wood, it probably wood be Cherry.

Offline roverboy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
I've not made a lot of pots but, I have used cherry, tigerwood, purpleheart, walnut, maple and poplar. I don't really have a favorite.
Listen for the gobble

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 06:22:55 PM »
I really am not experienced enough to have a favorite, but I really like both forms of Maple (Ambrosia and Spalted) I have as well as White Oak and Black Palm. Of what I do not have it would be Mahogany and Walnut followed by Cherry because they make me think of my father as he collected a lot of antique furniture in those woods and they just look great.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
It's boring but walnut,,walnut Dawkins,,walnut Mabry slates,walnut stumpy,,walnut platz dbl glass,,seems like alot of guys best pots are walnut.

Offline TurkeyHunterML

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »
My favorite is any I can get a hold of and try.  I like the fact I have a pretty much unlimited supply of native woods like Sycamore, Walnut, Red Cedar, Box Elder, Cherry, Red Maple, Hackberry, China Berry and I have found some Osage, but unfortunately it is small, because my uncle keeps pushing it over when he sees it (it is mostly on his property so I cannot say much about that). I really just got into this turning thing (like in March of this year when I inherited my father in laws Shopsmith).

I must say I love spalted (spaulted) woods. I do want to get into stabilizing.
Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

Offline Techn9cian02

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »
Looks- Blue Mahoe
Sound- Padauk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
I'd have to say Padauk and Walnut.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline pauld

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
No secret that I love the Osage. Lol. Behind that canary or zebra. Love the sound I get in padauk but it rips my sinuses.