OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New Scratch Box User Looking for Suggestions  (Read 6694 times)

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
New Scratch Box User Looking for Suggestions
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
I had just about given up on scratch boxes never found one I felt comfortable with hunting.

I recently ordered a longbox from Mr. Fetters and thought what the heck I will give scratch boxes one more try and ordered a cedar one from him.

I can run this one its very easy to get soft yelps and clucks and I already have it purring like a kitten, I will definitely hunt this one next spring it will be another tool in the turkey toolbox.

Just ordered two scratch boxes from Joe Sherrod (butternut and walnut) and am going to try to get in contact with Tate Williams to order some of his (poplar and walnut maybe?).

If anyone has other wood suggestions from Mr. Fetters that would be appreciated.

Also other suggestions for other makers and wood combos would be appreciated!

Offline jed clampett

• Longbeard
Re: New Scratch Box User Looking for Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »
Scott Baseshore...all cedar....butternut/walnut...mainly any scratcher..but these are awesome!!

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
Scott Baseshore...all cedar....butternut/walnut...mainly any scratcher..but these are awesome!!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I will call him tomorrow I am sure those will probably take a good wait to get but I am sure they will be worth it.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »
Bob Fulcher at Shadetree.

https://shadetreecallers.webs.com/

Bob built a scratcher for me with a range of a long box - it can kee-kee and it can get real raspy. And it fits in your shirt pocket. Super call from a great guy.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
Tim Fralick Custom Calls Sumac and Osage Orange Mighty Hen. He was very nice to speak with and very polite and knowledgeable. This thing plays like a dream, very easy to use. Here he is playing an identical call. https://www.facebook.com/timfralickcustomcalls1/videos/2068641933394776/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions I ordered one from Lonnie Gilbert today, super nice guy to chat with!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
SS, I’ve got a bunch. His red heart/holly, yellowheart/mineral poplar, and paduak/butternut are my favorites. They all sound great yet all sound very different. Called in birds w em all

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 11:24:38 AM »
I own a bunch, run them a ton, scratchers are often my most productive call in combination with mouth calls since getting started with them I pretty much never use a pot call.

My favorite is an L&L all cedar two sider I run with with a cedar, purpleheart, or walnut striker.

Another one I like is a Tevis cedar with slate striker has an excellent young hen sound I plan to carry this one while bow hunting during fall season.

Basehore, SS, Russell beard all make excellent ones as well.

Fetter is on my list after getting a longbox from him I need to get a short box and scratcher.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
I own a bunch, run them a ton, scratchers are often my most productive call in combination with mouth calls since getting started with them I pretty much never use a pot call.

My favorite is an L&L all cedar two sider I run with with a cedar, purpleheart, or walnut striker.

Another one I like is a Tevis cedar with slate striker has an excellent young hen sound I plan to carry this one while bow hunting during fall season.

Fetter is on my list after getting a longbox from him I need to get a short box and scratcher.

Thanks for the info I need to get an L&L do you have contact for Tevis?

I think you will like Ernie's scratchbox I am not as experienced as you with them but I can run that one and love it!

His longboxes are stellar as well.

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 12:08:26 PM »
SS, I’ve got a bunch. His red heart/holly, yellowheart/mineral poplar, and paduak/butternut are my favorites. They all sound great yet all sound very different. Called in birds w em all

Thanks I am going to have order one of those combos.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 12:19:09 PM »

I think you will like Ernie's scratchbox I am not as experienced as you with them but I can run that one and love it!

I got the tevis for Father's day I believe my wife got that from midwest the slate makes it stand out a bit.

I have a pretty long list for scratch box wants, fetter, Curtis terrell, Tim bullock, Rick ferlita, Josh Farley, tate Williams to name a few

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Candyman

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »
SS Custom Calls!  Outstanding calls. Al and Josh are top notch.

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 05:01:21 PM »

I got the tevis for Father's day I believe my wife got that from midwest the slate makes it stand out a bit.

I have a pretty long list for scratch box wants, fetter, Curtis terrell, Tim bullock, Rick ferlita, Josh Farley, tate Williams to name a few

Found it Thanks!

One of the things I like about these scratchboxes is that you can try a bunch of different ones/makers and not have a fortune invested. 

Kinda of hard to that now with quality box calls or pots.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 06:04:40 PM »

Found it Thanks!

One of the things I like about these scratchboxes is that you can try a bunch of different ones/makers and not have a fortune invested. 

Kinda of hard to that now with quality box calls or pots.
Ha you're telling me, I paid $18 for that L&L scratcher and it's responsible for more dead birds then all my $100+ box calls combined I think.

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 09:05:39 PM »
SS Custom Calls!  Outstanding calls. Al and Josh are top notch.
I got one of these. Maple and butternut. $12 shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk