OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gobbling on a box call  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
Gobbling on a box call
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »
Does anyone have an easy method for gobbling on a box call? I watch these videos that some of the custom makers do and it sounds great but I can’t get the hang of it.

I would appreciate any help or ideas that you can provide.

Thanks!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Gobbling on a box call
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
I have not tried gobbling but this has helped me with other calls and he does show how to gobble. Good luck.   
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 10:08:27 PM »
The video posted by Sir above is one of the best examples, starring one of the best callmakers.  :icon_thumright:

Not all boxes are created the same; some will produce a gobble better than others.

You can tweak the sounds by the way you hold the box while moving the lid across the two rails, and where you place your index finger and thumb along the length of the lid. Each change you make in holding the box call will change the tone.

You can dip the call forward a bit to take some of the weight of the lid off and that may help produce a better gobble or hold it flat to max out the weight of the lid. Another technique for short boxes is find a rubber band that holds the lid against the box snugly but not tight. I have an all walnut short box that gobbles great with a rubber band around it and I shake it holding the base and the handle facing away from me.

Like every turkey call, more you practice the better you get producing the sounds which please your ear.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 06:53:14 AM »
Thanks for your help guys! I have Cost style box calls from a few of the custom call makers in several different combos. Do you know of a specific combo or call that would work the best for learning. On the videos it seems like they gobble pretty well with any of them.

Thanks Again!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:56:24 AM »

Like every turkey call, more you practice the better you get producing the sounds which please your ear.

The method shown in the above video and 15 minutes a day of practice should get you on the right road if your box has a gobble in it.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:54:30 AM »
On a short box, with a relaxed hand I strike the rail once with the lid and rock it back and forth with the handle between my index and middle finger.  Its all one motion, and striking the rail once gives it that initial single high front note that is present in all real gobbles.  I think it is something a lot of people miss when gobbling on a box call.
Personally, I don't feel one particular wood combo lends itself to a better gobble than another.  I feel its all in how well the box is tuned. It needs to be balanced.