turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wanting a better understanding of diaphram calls -

Started by redleg06, April 24, 2011, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg06

I was wanting to get a better understanding of how diaphragm calls are affected by the number of reeds 1,2,3,4 (or even half reeds) and  how the cuts in the calls (v, bat wing etc....) effect the sound as a general rule.

Ive been using diaphragms for about 8-10 years and have a handful that I really like but Ive always found them based on trial and error really (blowing them and either keeping or tossing them based on my preference of sound) and Id like to have a better general understanding of what makes a raspier call, a cleaner (less rasp) call etc....

Houndstooth Game Calls

V- cuts are always raspy but on the other hand with practice by manipulating air pressure and tounge pressure you can clear the yelp up to have a high front end dropping into rasp at end of yelp. Also you can clear the yelp up to not being so raspy by reed spacing other words the hangover of the top reed the shorter it is the clearer the yelp will be lots of little things also just depends on the caller. The less over hanging sharp edges on the top reed the clearer the call in some since.The bat wing calls  are a call of there on I can make a great 2 tone yelp with then the next fella its a straight rapy call just the caller. The number of reeds gives the call more back bone plus you have to generally run more but you can get louder on those calls. never messed with the half reed calls alot most of the time you see them on 2 reed calls I would think just adds a little backbone to the call for added air. Its easier to show the differences than 2 explain I am sure there is plenty of opinions on this.

Grasshopper

Calls with no cuts create clean yelps & cuts. When you get in cut calls there are so many different types . Some are great cutters, some have raspy yelps etc. Handmade not machine made can also make a bid difference. Handmade calls take alot less air to create a sound.

TRKYHTR

The thickness of the latex also can cause the call to be raspy or clear. Even the color of latex makes a difference. Ex. a clear latex that is .003 will sound different that a grey latex that is the same thickness .003. Something changes in the coloring of the latex that makes it vibrate just a little bit more. As was said before layering will make a difference and stretch will also make a big difference. So the things that will affect the sound of a call are latex thickness, latex color, number of latex, spacing, stretch, and cutts. The combination's are almost endless. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Longbeardfever4ever

A ghost cut makes a great kee kee and often a high to low fast dropping yelp. Thought id throw that in the mix.
Calls with prophylactic reeds are often higher pitched, with more realistic rasp. They are also easier to run.  The colors of the latex in the call matter as well, as they vary in thickness and in texture. V cuts tend to be raspy, but you can clear them up. They also have more backbone for hard cutting. Batwings are my personal yelping favorite, as it is easy to add and take away rasp, and pop great cutts in. Awesome clucking calls as well. Modified V-Cuts are a mix of a batwing and a v cut.  Standard 2 reed calls with no cuts are easy to run and give clear, often deep throated natural yelps and soft talk. They are Also good for kee kees. Calls made with All prophylactic seem to purr really well. A lot of this depends on the caller for sure. I cant imagine keeing on anything but a ghost cut, but I know some great callers that use a cutter style call.
Like GrassHopper said, handmade calls make a world of difference! No BS, check out dankendallcalls.com The reason I am staffing with him is because his calls not only sound realistic, but they are so easy to run. I had a few woodhaven mouth calls and they took so much more air to use. With his they run at first breath.

On another note, this is something I learned from Dan. Wash your calls out every night u use them and let them dry on a paper towel overnight. Just give them a rinse. They turn out fresh the next morning. Its awesome.

The more reeds the more air. Reed thickness and color also have to do a lot with how much air you need to run the call.
Hope I didnt ramble on..
Mike
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Houndstooth Game Calls

Ecactly what turkeyhunter said the possibilites are endless!

savduck

I can kee kee on a bunch of style cuts, but cant on a ghost cut. Funny how every call maker says a ghost cut is great for kee kee ing.

I dont build calls, but have played with ton of them over the years. I think there have been some good explanation about them, but unless I missed it bending the frame can also have an affect on the call as well as trimming the tape. I have a small pallet and do a lot of bending and trimming until i get what I want out of a call.
Georgia Boy