turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who and why????

Started by pagunslinger, April 24, 2011, 09:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pagunslinger

Who pays 20$ or more for strikers? Why would you? I think some of these call makers have gone mad! plus then u gotta pay 5$ or more for shipping! Just can't see the worth in a stick! Sorry fellas!

guesswho

As long as it's their money and not mine more power to them.  We all spend money on some things that other people wouldn't think of.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

doepee

I also think that is a little high, but if I had the money I would buy them.... sometimes though they are not what you think when you get them... I was quoted 30 for some recently , I would like to get about three but I am on rolling layoffs at the moment, need money for gas and turkey hunting.. ;D

pappy

As a callmaker, I do charge 10.99 for my strikers, and here is how I come to this conclusion...I use an exotic wood, a piece 10" long is needed to make a striker with 5" of stick ... this cost me 4.00 or more... I turn my strikers on mylathe, it runs on electricity ..this cost me at least a buck everytine I turn it one, it takes me 30 minutes to turn one out and sand it before I apply my finish, one bottle of Shellawax costs me 40.00 for 8 ounces.....I hope you are getting the picture, my time is important to me also as I am getting older every day instead of younger..lol...so I figure after all is said and done, I am getting just enough back for a striker to purchase another piece of wood .... the shipping I can do nothing about, talk to the post office , and besides, go to Walmart and buy a coupe of H&S or Knight and Hale strikers, you get Chinese work, shabby to say the least, and by the time you check out it is gonna run you 10.00 or 12.00 dollars plus your time and your gas.....you do the math...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

mossy835

Well said Pappy the two you made for me work! The ones from Cabala's work also sort of. This is dear to my heart as for a cheap price we are selling out to China where the jobs are now oh but the pay is $20.00 a day Chinese and no free bowl of rice included.

Gobblerstopper

Quote from: pagunslinger on April 24, 2011, 09:31:28 AM
Who pays 20$ or more for strikers? Why would you? I think some of these call makers have gone mad! plus then u gotta pay 5$ or more for shipping! Just can't see the worth in a stick! Sorry fellas!

What do you think is a fair price for a striker?

Should all strikers be priced the same?

Should one piece and two piece striker be priced the same?

Give me your recommendation for the price (without shipping) of a:

1.) Hickory Striker

2.) Ebony Striker

3.) Cocobolo Striker with Ivory tip

Striker prices are all across the board.  Personally, I don't like turning them that much.  It's the same thing over and over and you know how it is going to turn out when you are done.  I'd rather play with a pot call where there is more creativity involved.  But as a seller, I'd be interested to know how much a buyer thinks he should pay for a striker.  Thanks....Andy

neal

I get $10 ea. includes shipping and that is for all woods that I stock, I've sold a ton of them and I have won calling competitions useing them, Scheels also carries them and gets more for them than I do. That being said I can see why guys do get $20 for them their turned one at a time it takes time and $$$ don't blame them a bit, for me thats all I do is strikers so it don't bother me to take a little less money I enjoy doing it but if I was also building other calls I can see where it would be a pain to have to turn them.

Yes it is just a piece of wood but it's a piece that someone put their time in to making, to help other kill turkeys!!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Bonjour

So you think I should charge $10 for an ebony striker when the blank for the striker cost me $15 to buy. There is a reason that some strikers are more expensive than others. Corian takes a lot longer to make a striker out of also, and takes me about an hour from start to finish, so I feel that my time is worth more than $5 an hour to make them. That is why I charge more for these strikers.

gwa

In my opinion, the striker is the key to the call in as much as the bow is to the violin. It has to have balance in the hand and not feel like you are holding a club. You can have a super call and it sound like crap with the wrong striker or you may have a mediocre call and good striker makes music.

That being said, what are the advantages of exotic woods over say hickory? It looks good? No one else has one? Prestige?

Denny Emery

Cut*N*Run

To each his own right?personally I like to collect different types of woods and work from different callmakers. $20 is perfectly reasonable for me if it's a piece I like. There are a few exotics that will cost more and are have a sound that you can't fin in domestics- padauk for one.

pagunslinger

I really hope that call makers here don't feel i am attacking them! I fully understand that a man needs paid for his labor and that the cost of supplies need covered! I had just went lookin for a purple-heart striker from a local who i have bought from and liked his work but he raised all his prices from last year! the striker i bought last year for 12.99 went to 19.99! Just wondered if this was every1's prices or if this guy is tryin to kill us!? I have no-clue what it costs to make a striker so i apologize if offending any1 here!! Shipping is another story,dang usps!

West Augusta

Not offended in the least. I do charge $30.00 per striker delivered and won't apologize for it. It takes me over a week to make each. I do my work by hand and tune each striker on my hunting calls. Are they better than the $5.00 strikers from Wal Mart? A lot of very good turkey hunters think so. You may not. I have stopped taking orders because I can't keep up with demand. I am not offended in any way and wish you luck this spring.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pagunslinger

Quote from: West Augusta on April 24, 2011, 04:53:13 PM
Not offended in the least. I do charge $30.00 per striker delivered and won't apologize for it. It takes me over a week to make each. I do my work by hand and tune each striker on my hunting calls. Are they better than the $5.00 strikers from Wal Mart? A lot of very good turkey hunters think so. You may not. I have stopped taking orders because I can't keep up with demand. I am not offended in any way and wish you luck this spring.

I know they r better! I guess i'm just bitter i cant afford it!

Cut*N*Run

There are still going to be lots of good quality strikers in your price range. You'll find a bunch of them on ebay that you can get to your door for $10.99 or less. If your local guy can get $20 per- good for him, but there will be someone somewhere who doesn't have the reputation yet to command that much and can get you an equal quality striker for less. Nothing wrong with a little free market economics.

You can also make a killer corncob striker with parts from Brookside Game Calls for about $2. Or, widdle, rasp, file, and sandpaper your own one-piece from some dried wood. There are possibilities out there.

bird

Quote from: pagunslinger on April 24, 2011, 03:50:50 PM
Shipping is another story,dang usps!

Boy you really know how to step from one pile of doo to another pile of doo.  What does the cost of shipping (USPS) have to do with being another story in this discussion?  Do you think that the USPS will ship your items for free?  I don't think so pagunslinger.  This whole discussion has to be one of the silliest conversations that I have ever seen on OG.