OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What are some good CD's or DVD's for learning to call?  (Read 8208 times)

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: What are some good CD's or DVD's for learning to call?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »
Here is a couple of my favorites.
Dale Outdoors on YouTube & Scott Ellis "Mouth call Magic DVD".
I like watching Dales videos.

P.S. I learned  from a 33 album Leroy Braungart from Moscow mills, Missouri.
Find that one on cd/dvd
 Tell ya what just listen to these call makers sound files on here, all kinds of calls from different call makers.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:31:52 PM by owlhoot »

Offline Hooksnhorns

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »
Search on YouTube for Kenny Morgan. He has been gone for a few yrs now, but his vids about his callers and him running them are priceless.
Don't Tread On Me

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »

P.S. I learned  from a 33 album Leroy Braungart from Moscow mills, Missouri.

By the watch?
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
What type of call are you wanting to learn to run?

As previously stated, I feel that Scot Ellis videos (Mouth Call Magic) have been the best at discussing the use of mouth calls and creating the proper sounds.

Timing and cadence is very important...  As knowing when to shut up, and when to pour it on...  Cadence is something that you can learn...  Timing...  Can vary in every situation.

But, when I hear birds gobbling in the morning I listen very carefully...   For the hens that are making them gobble.  Are they cutting or yelping?  What is the cadence of their calling?  What sounds that they make create interest in the toms, and what sounds generate apathy?

Everyone concentrates on those gobbles in the morning, but the sound you should be concentrating on is those hens.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline rkelly

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 10:30:21 PM »
I was about to ask this same question.  I've listened to a LOT of youtube and learned the basic techniques that way, but I want to take it to the next level.  Thanks for the question and all the answers.  I'll be buying those DVD/CD's tonight.

Offline Hooksnhorns

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »
First, get some cds with live turkey recordings. Get those rhythms and inflection  of the sounds of calls that they make. Then watch some of the instructional vids on how to operate the type calls you want to use.  Learning the vocabulary, rhythm and inflection FROM TURKEYS FIRST will eliminate picking up repetitious, unnatural calling habits. The vids from Scott Ellis and from “Calling All Turkeys” will shorten the learning curve tremendously on using a mouth call. This is just my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth. Lol. Good luck
Don't Tread On Me

Offline MattM

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »
Years ago the Late DR.Lovett Williams put out some cassettes of real wild turkeys calling. I would think that they are still around and by this time on cd's

Offline Rickv

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2023, 01:05:58 AM »
Great informative

Online Tnandy

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2023, 09:41:42 PM »
I would go to Youtube and watch Shane Simpson on Calling All Turkeys and find his one video on calling dynamics. Jason Cruise always had great content on his videos. Matt Dale has got some good videos, especially about woodsmanship. These 3 have helped me to cull out some bad habits that are easy to pick up. Cruise is very explanatory. Scott Ellis is hard to beat on mouth call videos

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2023, 10:24:53 AM »
Although I've never used it Scott Ellis has an app that goes through the types of calls a turkey makes. It allows you to record your practice and compare it to his calling and  the calling of a real hen. I believe it's called the Turkey Tech app.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2023, 10:28:46 AM »
https://www.lovettwilliams.com/
Real turkeys CD’s he has made. Best you can get and learn from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »
My opinion? Learning from people, no matter their skill level will limit you (It’s not a bad thing, just limiting).
I’d get natural recordings. A good one is “Tree Top Turkeys” by Brad Taylor. He records turkeys undisturbed as they go about their day. You’ll hear tons of different voices and cadences and subtle nuances.
Nothing like the real thing…

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 08:45:36 PM »
I have not seen the Scott Ellis but the Lovett Williams CDs are excellent
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear