OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What about buffering in ML shotguns

Started by mnbirdbuster, May 13, 2011, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnbirdbuster

Shooting a ml shotgun has enough grey area like it is, so why not add a little more :lol: The idea of buffering the heavy shot loads common to our guns weather it be lead or a non toxic could tighten up the pattern a bunch...but how? At the range it could be easy, just load shotcup 3/4full or shot and then add buffer and shake until it sifts down then pour down barrel! I can see its benefits, but whos goin to carry buffer seperately when afield? I thought about maybe having the right amount of shot/buffer premixed in a film canister and then packed tight with cotton balls so it wouldnt rattle around, but i just dont know! Im actually excited to try it on one hand, but scared on the other to find that its the cats meow and have to deal with all the extra bs, thats muzzleloading for ya :z-guntootsmiley:

njdevilsb

I don't have an answer for you on the buffer as I'm just getting into muzzle loading shotguns myself, but I carried shot this year in some 50 caliber speed loaders.  I'm sure it had to rattle some, but packed tightly in a vest pocket in a ziplock with all my other accessories, I never heard it.  The ends fit very nicely in the end of the barrel too which pretty much eliminated the need to worry about spilling some shot or powder in a heat of the moment type situation.

joey46

Been reading post on other forums that have mentioned this subject.  Sounds like a lot of work to me.  I suppose if I was going to shoot competitions or planned to take 50 yard shots it may be worth it.  For now I'm just going to test and fine tune my TK2000 with combinations that don't contain buffer.   Be interest to hear how your test come out.  Good luck.

mnbirdbuster

I have done a little playin around with the buffering the last few days, and really dont see it as big of a problem as i thought to carry a pre buffered load afield! My initial hunch with the film canisters and the cotton balls works slick :z-winnersmiley: The shot/buffer mix packs nicely into the bottom of canister, followed by 2-3 cotton balls, and then finally on top of that can be the over shot card/wad! Over time the buffer will all get siftened to the bottom, so the key is goin to involve taking the over powder card/wad and the cotton balls out, then replace cap, turn upside down and flick side of film canister a few times! After that, turn film canister back over open and pour  shot/buffer mix down barrel into shotcup! The film canisters can also be pinched a little when pouring into barrel which will help avoid and spillage :smiley-char092: I kinda wish my season wasnt over, cuz id be pattern testing!!!